Jabiru Engine 2200 Mechanical Problem Reporting

rick-p

Guest disperse

maybe we can achieve a higher than the present 5% posting rate as against tourists just visiting the thread.

well id be 1 of those tourist, but seeing as ive never owned or flown a jab it's pretty pointless in posting. but i do intend on owning and flying a plane SOON. and am gathering as much info as i can . but i do agree if you have relivent infomation PLEASE post it as some people will find it invaluable

• Replies 476
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A comment was made to me yesterday in repect of Jabiru and 912 motors that they are only as reliable as you treat them and this seems to be an emerging trend in this thread in respect of Jab motors.

But the same does also apply to the 912.

If one looks at the S/B's, these threads and personal experience 912's can also be problematic.

The comment was made by a very senior and knowledgeable aviator.

He also made the comment that the ealier 912UL motor was the bullet proof version as against the newer 912s and 914's because the earlier 912's were heavier in the castings and therefore stronger.

The Jab 3300 may be in the end the bees knees of motors when all the bugs are ironed out.

Comments please!

Rick-p

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All,

Well I guess from the posts that we have had here, even though minimal, that pound for pound the Jab motor is no lesser an engine than the Holy 912 in fact it may even in the long run outstrip it if the later manufactured 912's continue to have hiccups.

No maufacture can rest on it's laurels and not expect to come into problems.

The point I make is if everyone was really so serious about how bad these Jabiru motor's are then I would imagine that the result would be no different as to the number of replies one would received if they asked the question, such as, for example, what do people who have used DODO INTERNET think of DODO INTERNET.

I think that Ian's forums would be log jammed to say the least, with the number of posts that would be posted.

Food for thought, don't you think.092_idea.gif.47940f0a63d4c3c507771e6510e944e5.gif

Regards.

From an old crock who know's nothing, maybe.:big_grin:

Rick-p.

One of the things about forums are that posts are often made by people that are vocal about something but then there are also people that are not vocal - shall I say fringe dwellers - that don't say anything but are still part of the whole "family".

For example I met Ian yesterday who has been a fringe dweller for some time and his first post was to help me out by giving me a lift from Horsham yesterday to Bendigo.

So in the same context we can ask the question "who has had problems with the Jabiru engine" and we will get a better response by number of posts as there would be emotion involved then if we asked the question "Who has not had a problem with their jabiru engine"

We need to be aware of this when making assumptions about the content of a thread but never the less, at least we have a medium in the form of these forums that are available to us to at least get comments biased or not!

My J160c has just turned over 225 hours. (Purchased Feb 2006) ;)

At approx 71 hours I had a burnt valve. I was qite upset about the valve as I've been through the Jabiru motor making factory and I was gob smacked at the whole CNC process. :;)3:

However, only 48 hours later I was back in the air (problem found late Sunday - new valve arrived with Lame 2 and installed on Tuesday!) 018_hug.gif.8f44196246785568c4ba31412287795a.gif

and since then it seems to get better and better.......:big_grin:

Love my Jabby :;)7:

regards

• 3 weeks later...

I haven't passed away yet or been kidnapped by 912 agents dressed up as Martians.

I'm still watching this thread with interest.

I'm just enjoying a signal 1 typhoon at the moment and hope to be in the air again tomorrow when the wind and rain abate, a little.

I have spoken to a number of satisfied Jab users where I am at, at the moment.

Two have had quite a few faultless hours of flying with their motors, installed on X-Airs.

It's interesting to not that both have oil coolers fitted that are blanked off with 100 MPH tape, one is in fact completely covered.

Prior to the covering of the oil coolers in this manner the motors were just running far too cold.

Bearing in mind that the motors are operating in the tropics it is quite interesting.

I did read recently in one of our local Australian mag's, it may have been the RAA, of a Jab failure due to seperation of valve head from it's stem.

Of all the problems I have heard in respect of Jab motors the valve problems takes the lead with other incidents being mainly one off events.

I do believe that Jabiru has been and continues to address the problem as those people who have had a valve problem with their Jab motor, Jabiru has come to the party and for the most part the problem for those motors effected is now history.

Anyway keep your posts coming whether good or bad.088_censored.gif.2b71e8da9d295ba8f94b998d0f2420b4.gif

Thanks all,;)

Regards,

Rick-p

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Geoff,

I haven't seen it yet as I'm still in the Philippines but I think that there will be a copy of the mag waiting for me when I return.

I had a couple of interesting landings here on the same day the other day.

One of the engine failures in the Drifter (503) led to a landing amongst some cows and buffaloes in a what one would descibe as a swamp.

Another story for another time, no damage to person or plane, both times.

Regards

Rick

Well mate I hope that you took the matter up with the factory to insure that they step up their quality control.

You obviously have had the good sense to check the motor on delivery to see, at least that which was visible, was all in order otherwise you wouldn't have found the problem.

It's something we should all do, that is the commonsense thing to do, but I have seen on many occasions pilots hop into aircraft and fly them without preflighting the aircraft.

Regards,

Rick-p

Bigglesworth

You will probably find that those socket headed capscrews will need to be loosened to do your final fit-up into the sliding joints on the final muffler. That is almost certainly needed when fitting up the muffler to the 6 pipes on the 3300 and is stated in the manual.

Regards Geoff

• 1 year later...

jabiru engine probs

Hi people,

just thought I'd give this thread a bump..........

Jabiru reco engine (don't have the number in front of me) 2006, in LSA-55

Solid lifters

Oil temp and pressure, cyl head temp all in mid-range, never overheated

All run-in and maintenance procedures adhered to (level 2)

At 74hours, an engine through-bolt snapped under the nut. Luckily it was spotted post -flight (thankfully a short one!), before the next one could break. The original bolts had been used in the rebuild.

Kinda gives you an empty feeling inside, especially after crossing Bass Strait recently........ all bolts to be replaced, but will they be any better?

Cheers,

Jim

Guest ozzie

just a few questions on these thru bolts'

why do they continually break?

are they bolts or rod threaded at both ends? are they breaking at the bottom of the thread? from poor thread cut?

if they are rod with nuts both ends, are they being pulled up evenly from both ends or applying touque from just one side and stretching the rod unevenly.

are there any sharp edges holes on the cases or barrels that could put a small groove around the rod and start cracking

could the base of the cyl be too thin and flexing stressing the bolt. maybe longer bolt and cyl base spacer to move the load away from the end of the thread. and support the cyl base.

shock cooling from rapid throttle movement from quick decents. poor cool down after flight ect. maybe change material for the bolts, stainless maybe

Ozzie.

Guest brentc

Who rebuilt the engine and why didn't they replace the thru bolts I wonder? Check the engine manual on the Jab website which will tell you if the thru bolts are meant to be replaced. At a stab they might be an inspect and measure option but you'll have to check.

just a few questions on these thru bolts' why do they continually break?

are they bolts or rod threaded at both ends? are they breaking at the bottom of the thread? from poor thread cut?

if they are rod with nuts both ends, are they being pulled up evenly from both ends or applying touque from just one side and stretching the rod unevenly.

are there any sharp edges holes on the cases or barrels that could put a small groove around the rod and start cracking

could the base of the cyl be too thin and flexing stressing the bolt. maybe longer bolt and cyl base spacer to move the load away from the end of the thread. and support the cyl base.

shock cooling from rapid throttle movement from quick decents. poor cool down after flight ect. maybe change material for the bolts, stainless maybe

Ozzie.

Oz

From memory, a few of us asked the same questions here a year or so ago when these stud failures were reported by one or more of the forum members, and I don't think any reasonable answers or facts came to light. Perhaps in that case it was being reported 2nd or 3rd hand.

I would love to see a close up photo of the stud failure to determine the nature of the break.

I'll take it up with the engine guys while at the dinner during the Airshow in early July and post any fair dinkum answers here.

If BrentC comes up I'm sure that he will follow up on it too.

Regards C

• 2 months later...

re Jabiru engine problem reporting.

Just adding to the thread.

Distributor caps removed at 200 hours and the rotors were as sloppy as they could be. Has been said that this is because they are horizontal rather than vertical.

Purchased two new ones and they were very tight to get in, but good and firm now.

Will replace every 100 hours or when needed.

Engine number 1158 2200A

The distributor caps seemed o.k. some white deposits on the contacts but cleaned up fine.

Roly (pom flyer)

rotors were as sloppy as they could be.

Hi Lowflyer

Someone here will know for sure, but I think its been suggested you glue the rotors on to overcome this problem - there's a thread here somewhere.

yes "flocking the rotors" is topic of the day on Yahoo Jabiru engines right now

Mine went wobbly @ 200 hrs and I epoxy araldited new ones on. Oddly they had allways been tight when checked previously and had no glue from factory new.

Other issue @ 150 hrs oil pressure sender went erratic I opened it up and the wiper had worn thru the wires at the 40 psi mark

Replaced with VDO sender into the lower port where the sender reads the engine oil pressure not the pump pressure

Just off 300 hrs check there are 2 valves starting to leakdown to exhaust faintly but mostly to sump and still above spec readings of 62/80 plus.

I wont speculate further but probably do a followup leakdown while I wait for the parts costing / availability to come back or 50 hrs whichever comes first

Ralph

Guest Maj Millard

rick-p, I'm jumping in late here, but lets remember it's the 'Jab knockers' that have mostly highlited the problems here, which additionally prompts threads like this, which hopefully will lead to ultimate fixes. There is no way Jab owners would have ever admitted that there could be problems....reason I keep jumping on them is that I am an Engineer who holds a Powerplant license, and I was taught that the first thing an aircraft engine should be is reliable, and they aren't IMOP. I believe they have had more than sufficient time to make them ultimatly reliable, and they haven't yet. Christ you still can't put oil into them quickly and accurately, that's an easy fix ......I'll be the first to embrace them when when they get to a point where I'm happy with them. This type of honest problem-reporting is a great idea Rick-p, and this squeaky wheel is only going to get greased by making a lot more noise..........................................................024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Hi All,Well I guess from the posts that we have had here, even though minimal, that pound for pound the Jab motor is no lesser an engine than the Holy 912 in fact it may even in the long run outstrip it if the later manufactured 912's continue to have hiccups.

No maufacture can rest on it's laurels and not expect to come into problems.

The point I make is if everyone was really so serious about how bad these Jabiru motor's are then I would imagine that the result would be no different as to the number of replies one would received if they asked the question, such as, for example, what do people who have used DODO INTERNET think of DODO INTERNET.

I think that Ian's forums would be log jammed to say the least, with the number of posts that would be posted.

Food for thought, don't you think.092_idea.gif.47940f0a63d4c3c507771e6510e944e5.gif

Regards.

From an old crock who know's nothing, maybe.:big_grin:

Rick-p.

Rick,i have a 120 jab with 300 hrs on it, leak down test the other day showed low side of low on all 4 pots.I like Jabiru engines because i believe they are a very simple build[less things to go wrong] They even look like a small lycoming. I think the latest engines released by Jab are their best but of course a keen maintainance program must be kept [common sense really] And rick, i was sitting here the other day thinking '400 dollars an hr ' what kind of job do you make that much out of in an hr and then it suddenly hit me, you must be a concreter.;)

Hey jacmiles do I know you?

Is there a Crook in your family?:DirtDOG:

And no I'm not attempting to be humerous :big_grin: as you will know if my assumption is correct and even if it isn't then you will probably understand if I say I know a JC and a Jab 1something residing in your neck of the woods not too many Miles from your base.

Rick-p :peepwall:

Hey jacmiles do I know you?Is there a Crook in your family?:DirtDOG:

And no I'm not attempting to be humerous :big_grin: as you will know if my assumption is correct and even if it isn't then you will probably understand if I say I know a JC and a Jab 1something residing in your neck of the woods not too many Miles from your base.

Rick-p :peepwall:

You know Rick ive been reading posts of yours for the last 18 months and it was only a couple of days ago i realized who you were. Im gonna hafta fly to your place and say hello. PM me a ph. number and ill give you a call.:thumb_up: