Rotax 912 battery

No replies. Someone recommended a Fullriver battery to me for engine starting but with the colder weather now here I'm finding it difficult to start, works fine in the warmer months. Further research suggests i am in need of something with a minimum of 200 CCA to turn the engine over fast enough. The fullriver is 20AH and 165 CCA. looking at an alternative YUASA or similar any ideas ?

No replies. Someone recommended a Fullriver battery to me for engine starting but with the colder weather now here I'm finding it difficult to start, works fine in the warmer months. Further research suggests i am in need of something with a minimum of 200 CCA to turn the engine over fast enough. The fullriver is 20AH and 165 CCA. looking at an alternative YUASA or similar any ideas ?

Justnuzza,

I run a Oddesy in my Tecnam, can't remember off hand what the cranking amps are either and unfortunately I won't be out the airfield tomorrow as I am in Melbourne for the day.

Will let you know the details when I get out to the airport probably Tuesday if no one else answers your question.

Alf

Mine is a Shorai LiFePO4 Lithium Iron Phosphate battery model LFX18L1-BS12.

This is a Lithium Iron battery not a Lithium Ion or Lithium Polymer battery. Lithium Iron batteries are non-toxic and non-flammable and therefore safe to use in a plane. I wouldn't suggest using a Lithium Ion or Lipo in a plane as they can catch fire if charged too fast, discharged too fast or are short circuited.

They're not cheap but have a few advantages over lead-acid, gel or chloride batteries. Mine weighs just 1kg instead of the usual 7kg, it's 18AH with 270CCA, has a carbon fibre MilSpec casing and is very small. The very low weight is an advantage in a plane but only if it doesn't upset your W&B, great if you're building a new plane and can move things around to re-balance everything and get a weight saving at the same time. If you have a large alternator they can also be charged at a much higher rate than other batteries, in batteries up to 30AH the charge rate is the same as the AH rating i.e. an 18AH battery can be re-charged at 18 Amps. Disadvantage is the cost, at $250.

The Rotax manual says to use a battery of at least 16AH and you mention yours is 20AH but only 165CCA. That seems a very low capacity for 20AH, most 18AH batteries seem to be about 300CCA and even the Yuasa 14AH is 230CCA so I think perhaps the problem is the quality of the battery you have rather than the AH size. In general thicker plates means more CCA, and a heavier battery.

Mine is a new installation so I can't say how well it cranks the engine but others who are using them seem to be very happy and say they provide much livelier cranking and starting than their previous batteries.

Hi Justnuzza

A Lithium iron can't be too light for any aircraft, if it affects the W & B then put something else there ie tools, tie downs etc I am replacing my lead acid battery with a lithium iron one and will save 5 kg weight, nearly 2% of the aircraft weight for no downside. This is free extra performance. Most people don't understand the term ultralight aircraft. who was it said "design a plane then add some lightness"

Cheers

Ian

I have had a good run out of an Odyssey. Both mine and another local J230, we changed them after 6 years, both still working fine but because of their age didn't want to run the risk of being let down whilst out in the sticks.

Not cheap but considered after 6 years it owed me nothing.

• Like 1

Hi JustnuzzaA Lithium iron can't be too light for any aircraft, if it affects the W & B then put something else there ie tools, tie downs etc I am replacing my lead acid battery with a lithium iron one and will save 5 kg weight, nearly 2% of the aircraft weight for no downside. This is free extra performance. Most people don't understand the term ultralight aircraft. who was it said "design a plane then add some lightness"

Cheers

Ian

Weight and balance becomes a problem in my aircaft for rear COG and endurance. I recently had a prop changed from 12 kg to 7kg and I am reasonably light as a pilot. It affects the minimum amount of fuel I need to leave in the aircaft. The C.G point in my aircraft there is no where forward that you can put weight except for the engine bay.

Guest Vince Clegg

A Deka ETX18L fits neatly into a Savannah cradle, works well and my last one was still starting the plane easily in the middle of winter after 6 years. $197.95 from Forbes Batteries, Toowoomba.

Guest Maj Millard

Standard Yuasa lead acid that I get at least four years of good service out of. On about my forth or fifth now. Still going fine when removed after four years of reliable service.

I like to check batt fluid every 100 hrs but rarly needs topping up. No big price generally around 120-140 bucks and easily available at Batteryworld............Maj....

Search "rotax battery" on ebay. You may have to make the search "worldwide".

Claims 1.1kg and 410cca. It is a lithium type. Seller is in USA but price is good. No experience with it myself.

DO make sure your leads are at least 16mm2 and if the battery is further back than behind the seats you may require larger again. Something like 10mm2 that I have seen installed (to save weight ?) is never going to be good for the engine and battery in my opinion.