Exhaust Pipe Plugs

old man emu

I was in a motorcycle shop today and saw these:

0000-moose-racing-exhaust-plug-mcss.jpg.659fdc051493c4084cd1799857fd50cb.jpg

They are plugs that are put into the ends of exhaust pipes to seal the cylinders to prevent moisture entering while the engine is standing unused for some time.

Here is a link for those of you who would like to buy some for your plane:

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/25416/i/moose-racing-exhaust-plug

Old Man Emu

(Disclaimer: I don't have any financial interest in the shop.)

• Like 1

Guest Andys@coffs

I went into Clark rubber for mine and brought rubber feet for tube......They have about 1/2doz different sizes and for my Jab exhaust were perfect size. Just glued a red streamer to the end of each one........

I do like the orange colour of these ones though...start the engine if you leave the black rubber ones on and they might be difficult to find once the back pressure blows them off and tests your exhaust spring tension.

CRC or equivalent, up the exhaust pipe when half cooled helps. Turning the engine backwards puts it into the ports. If the engine has a vac pump don't turn it backwards, otherwise it is OK. Nev

I'm a bit curious as to why you CAN'T turn a 912 backwards other than the usual fact of emptying some oil out of the galleries if you prolong it. Engines equipped with certain VAC pumps don't recommend it. If you want to be very particular you would turn a motor forwards till some oil pressure registered before you fired it up too.

When you install a new engine, before the first start you should pressurise the oil galleries and filter and oil cooler. Nev