New to NSW/Lower Blue Mountains

PommyRick

Just recently moved to the lower blue mountains (10-15 min from Penrith, NSW), and from the UK originally. Looking to pick up the flying again over here and have started with the paperwork and processes to convert my PPL from EASA to CASA.

Looking to find a club or join a group aircraft (sports/light aircraft) in my area. Not really interested in flying from larger GA fields, prefer grass strip and a bit of adventure. Discovered on the internet an airfield in Wallacia, tried to find it out without luck.

Would be great to meet up with any pilots from the area.

Thanks,

PommyRick

• Like 1

You have Camden and Bankstown - Asphalt, security, tower, big landing fees, GA

OR THE OAKS!! 995 Burragorang Rd, The Oaks NSW 2570 dual 800 m 36/18 grass strips

Daves Flying School - operating 6 days a week. www.davesflyingschool.com (02) 4657 2771 0414 740 766 Jabirus and Lightwing

Sydney Recreational Flying Club - operating 3 days a week www.srfc.org.au 0425 251 939 Foxbats and Lightwing

Both Daves and SRFC offer training for a full range of RAA endorsements and conversions from GA.

Like all good aero setups Daves and SRFC are surrounded by really good people pledged to make your flying experience first rate.

keep well

• Like 1

On your way past Camden to The Oaks, drop by Camden and visit the various operators there. You might be surprised, granted GA isn't cheap - but likely to be more affordable than the UK. Camden does have a grass strip available (runways 10/28) and a collection of taildraggers, Cessna/Piper and some RAAus types for hire. My recent visit to The Oaks discovered some very sad looking facilities and aircraft. I spent 30 minutes there and was prepared to do my BFR, but despite wandering around the aircraft was not approached by any of the operators.

• Like 1

Rounds,

Give Dave or SRFC a call and they may well meet you on site, with some planes. The Oaks is a hell of a lot cheaper than Camden, even for RAA planes.

• Like 1

There's quite a few fellow countrymen who hang out at The Oaks, and they've always seemed a very friendly bunch.

I might be wrong ( I don't get there as often as i'd like these days) but on a Saturday at Dave's they'd normally have the BBQ fired up, and possibly more friendly chatter than actual flying.

You'd be made to feel very welcome there. Well worth the drive to check things out.

Kind Regards

Pommy Planey

• Like 1

There's quite a few fellow countrymen who hang out at The Oaks, and they've always seemed a very friendly bunch.I might be wrong ( I don't get there as often as i'd like these days) but on a Saturday at Dave's they'd normally have the BBQ fired up, and possibly more friendly chatter than actual flying.

You'd be made to feel very welcome there. Well worth the drive to check things out.

Kind Regards

Pommy Planey

Not sure about the Saturday barbecue at Daves. Possibly at SRFC (particularly on working bee days) Both Dave an SRFC have BBQs for Christmas. SRFC has a regular monthly meeting preceded by fellowship over a steak and a beer.

Both lots are very friendly.

If you want a weekend barbecue you will need to go to Schofields Aero Club at Bankstown - GA. Fine snags expertly cooked!!

If you want FlyIn Pancakes you will need to visit the jolly people at EKØF near Nyborg in Denmark

• Like 1

Hi Rick,

To my knowledge nothing at Wallacia anymore, although I did see some Trikes operating out of a small strip on a property near Kemps Creek a few months back. I live about 10 minutes from Camden now but originally from the Mountains myself, would recommend the Oaks, as far as GA goes the drive to Bathurst might be worthwhile for you. Lots of great cafe's and restaurants in the mountains as well as plenty of other activities up there!

Enjoy.

• Like 1

On your way past Camden to The Oaks, drop by Camden and visit the various operators there. You might be surprised, granted GA isn't cheap - but likely to be more affordable than the UK. Camden does have a grass strip available (runways 10/28) and a collection of taildraggers, Cessna/Piper and some RAAus types for hire. My recent visit to The Oaks discovered some very sad looking facilities and aircraft. I spent 30 minutes there and was prepared to do my BFR, but despite wandering around the aircraft was not approached by any of the operators.

Ah, come on Roundsounds. . . . . you can't expect people to come out and jump on you, even if you're wandering around the aircraft ? ? ? OK, If I ever see anyone doing that at our airfield, I will always go and talk to them and see what they are interested in . . .even if they are merely registration spotters or just general aircraft enthusiasts.

The best bet ( I would have thought ) would be to find a door with a sign on it that said "Reception" or "Ops Office" . . .knock on that and ask.

It's been 28 years since I lived in Australia, and I don't know the Oaks. . . . .but I wouldn't discount it out of hand until you've spoken to someone who flies there, and maybe had a local flight. Trust me, our place looks like a bit of a dump as well,. . . .but it really isn't, it's full of really nice people, who will always take a visitor for a flip,. . . that's how we gain new club members ! ! !

Kind regards,

Phil

• Like 1

It's been 28 years since I lived in Australia, and I don't know the Oaks. . . . .but I wouldn't discount it out of hand until you've spoken to someone who flies there, and maybe had a local flight. Trust me, our place looks like a bit of a dump as well,. . . .but it really isn't, it's full of really nice people, who will always take a visitor for a flip,. . . that's how we gain new club members ! ! !

Phil

Sorry you missed out on The Oaks, Phil, they are a bit like you mentioned, and always make you feel welcome.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• 7 months later...

Thought I'd post back on this thread to say that I've eventually gotten around to sorting out my PPL conversion from EASA to CASA, with the next step being some time with an instructor and a BFR. For my own sake I intend to hit the books to too.

I will drop by the Oaks at some point, RAA seems to be the practical way to go here. I am also really keen to meet anyone locally for a beer (my shout) to glean some local advice, I have a lot of questions!

Rick I grew up in the lower mountains, now live about 20 minutes away, know a few good drinking holes and coffee shops out that way. Indeed I was at dbl ristretto in Springwood today and they serve a mean coffee! Pm me if you like always happy to catch up with other aviation crazies.

• Like 1

Rick you better be careful saying 'my shout' because if I know half the people on this forum like I think I do they will organise a flyin and come en mass to meet you and then hold you to the 'my shout' thingy:yes:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Rick you better be careful saying 'my shout' because if I know half the people on this forum like I think I do they will organise a flyin and come en mass to meet you and then hold you to the 'my shout' thingy:yes:

Good to know it's a friendly bunch then!

Rick I grew up in the lower mountains, now live about 20 minutes away, know a few good drinking holes and coffee shops out that way. Indeed I was at dbl ristretto in Springwood today and they serve a mean coffee! Pm me if you like always happy to catch up with other aviation crazies.

Thats great, PM sent. thanks.

Dont forget Katoomba. the Oaks for more Raaus and recreational side of things, but Bankstown and Camden arnt as expensive as you might think... Landing fees for Raaus weight aircraft are actually Less than some far smaller crappier airstrips.

also look at Somersby, to the north a bit of Sydney, Bathurst, but the Oaks would be the closest.

If you are not current and getting back into it then consider the strips with friendly scenery.

Katoomba is definitely surrounded by tiger country until you are well towards Lithgow.

I would reckon the OAks or Camden would be best bets.

• Like 1

Thought I'd post back on this thread to say that I've eventually gotten around to sorting out my PPL conversion from EASA to CASA, with the next step being some time with an instructor and a BFR. For my own sake I intend to hit the books to too.I will drop by the Oaks at some point, RAA seems to be the practical way to go here. I am also really keen to meet anyone locally for a beer (my shout) to glean some local advice, I have a lot of questions!

Goodonyer Rick. . . .as you have probably noticed, the Aussies can be a weird bunch ( ! ) . . . .but they are generally welcoming to kindred spirits. . .and full of useful info, ESPECIALLY if you say things like "IT'S MY ROUND. . ." be sparing with that one mate,. . .otherwise you'll only have enough cash left to put a litre in the car to get home from the airfield with a wet bum and no fish. . . . ( I think your friend SDQI already warned you about that slip of the tongue young Sir. . . . .)

Good fortune with your retraining anyhow. . . .

Phil

• Like 1

"EN MASSE" for Joan of Arc's sake mate. . . . .if you're gonna speka da frog,. . .get it bloody right . . . .( Geez )008_roflmao.gif.692a1fa1bc264885482c2a384583e343.gif

• Like 1
  • Winner 1

full

Goodonyer Rick. . . .as you have probably noticed, the Aussies can be a weird bunch ( ! ) . . . .but they are generally welcoming to kindred spirits. . .and full of useful info, ESPECIALLY if you say things like "IT'S MY ROUND. . ."Phil

I'll ave an arf 026_cheers.gif.2a721e51b64009ae39ad1a09d8bf764e.gif, I'm not greedy!

I'd happily buy you a full pint, but I doubt it'd be Watney"s

• Like 2

Thanks for meeting up today, was good to talk aviation. Will probably see you on Saturday at Maitland.

I'm relying on you to do my research for me, Rick.

I live the other side of the Blue Mountains, and Mudgee is my nearest airfield (metal & grass strips).

But as I'm still building, I haven't done any active scouting yet. I fancy a flight out to Katoomba, but that would be a major cross country for a MiniMax!

Good luck in finding a nice airfield. I used to fly out of Sandown on the Isle of Wight. That was a great little grass strip.

Bruce

• Like 1

Fortunately.

Flippin 'eck mate,. . .have not tasted a Watneys for decades. . . their starlight Bitter was OK, provided that you had a half, topped up with a bottle of light ale to give it a bit of Eurofizz"

One of our Newbies just crashed his Rans at Sandown . . . well, the U/C gave up the ghost, . . following 2 previous heavy arrivals on the way down from the Midlands. . . .trouble is, all of his training was in a PA28 . . .! ( Same lad who totalled his Kolb Twinstar a couple of months back. . . . learning curve ? ? )

• Like 1