Cessna down with 4 on board

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only good thing - realistically - that comes out from a forum discussion on a serious accident, is information that may help others to make better-informed decisions about their flying situation and responses if they are faced with emergency situations - or possibly preventing situations where they (consciously or inadvertently) place themselves in a dangerous situation.

I find it difficult to excuse rants against opinions expressed in the forum derived from empirical evidence ( the various Youtube videos of apparently 'standard' practices of this organisation) or other well-reasoned commentary.

And, I find it completely unacceptable that someone who has - apparently - a rating to conduct BFR's, should threaten people with requiring a PSAL check in their BFR with him while defending a PSAL that went fatally wrong with 'facts' that have been shown to be incorrect.

The final report from ATSB will provide the answers.

• Agree 3

The final report from ATSB will provide the answers.

I hope this is so, but I am concerned in this instance they will not be able to prove anything either way, and the passenger will have essentially died in vain. I don't mind fatalities in aviation, it is a risky endeavour, but one that we can usually learn from and implement lessons to hopefully prevent such accidents in the future. Even if it is as simple as some knucklehead going VFR-into-IMC, we can prove that happened and the outcome. Whether or not the authorities in this case can definitively point to X and say "This caused the accident" or not remains to be seen. Take a look at these videos, from a quick Google & YouTube search. Same operator? Hard to believe all these videos were from different companies... While the 172M (as in -WTQ) is indeed certified to operate in the utility category, that is only when the rear seats are unoccupied. See the coke bottle hard against the headlining? How many negative G's were produced there? I've yet to see a Cessna with a G-meter. Then a Split-S in a 172?

To the asshats flying these kinds of sorties I have but one thing to say: Take note of this accident, and pull your bloody heads in. Because when it goes wrong, and one day it will, your fare-paying passengers do not deserve to be hurt or killed because you wanted to show off.

Look at 0:15, then 1:02 in...then again at 1:24 037_yikes.gif.f44636559f7f2c4c52637b7ff2322907.gif

• Agree 4
  • Winner 1

Videos say it all about that operation

Pilots are hired from the local Total Tools store

If their AOC hasn't been pulled yet and their licences cancelled for life they should be

That is reckless and endangering life activities they conduct on their so called joy/ adventure flights

If the ATSB finds negligence contributed to this crash I'm guessing charges will and should be laid and so they should be

Although we don't know the actual cause of the engine failure that contributed to this fatality this cowboy operation should have been shutdown as soon as these antics where discovered

• Agree 3

Over the years I have called a few pilots, "Cowboys" I haven't used that expression in this case, for the simple reason that it may be misunderstood.

I did call a renowned pilot a cowboy and was roundly told that he was one of the best pilots going and I didn't know anything. Sadly that was true of his previous flying, but he had a problem that made him a liability and went on to be involved in an illegal flight that ended in his and a passengers death.

I find it hard to sit back and let piss poor pilots get away with no criticism allowed.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Over the years I have called a few pilots, "Cowboys" I haven't used that expression in this case, for the simple reason that it may be misunderstood.I did call a renowned pilot a cowboy and was roundly told that he was one of the best pilots going and I didn't know anything. Sadly that was true of his previous flying, but he had a problem that made him a liability and went on to be involved in an illegal flight that ended in his and a passengers death.

I find it hard to sit back and let piss poor pilots get away with no criticism allowed.

Nothing like a dead cowboy Yenn history has shown plenty

It's all fun and games until the Fhit hits the San

• Agree 2

Nothing like a dead cowboy Yenn history has shown plentyIt's all fun and games until the Fhit hits the San

Problem was, it wasn't the cowboy this time, but - essentially - an innocent bystander. 068_angry.gif.cc43c1d4bb0cee77bfbafb87fd434239.gif

• Agree 1

• 2 years later...

So here we are, the final report is out, and what a goatphuck that operation was. AIUI, LowFlyer1770 was Bruce Rhoades, the CP of the operation, and he passed away last month, but I cannot see any reasonable person, yet alone any reasonable pilot attempting to defend the shenanigans going on up there...?

• Multiple flights conducted overweight, or with no evidence the aircraft was in balance

• Multiple flights conducted with no records of them bar the GPS296 logs

• Multiple flights exceeding required maintenance timelines

• Multiple flights conducted without the MR in the aircraft.

The report speaks for itself...

• The flight time documented on the aircraft’s maintenance releases often did not reflect the actual flight time, resulting in a total underestimation of the actual flight time by about 96 hours (or 32 per cent) during the period from May 2015 until January 2017. This underestimation resulted in the aircraft receiving less periodic (100 hourly) inspections and oil and oil filter changes than was required.

• The aircraft was at least 17 kg above its maximum take-off weight when it departed for the flight, and baggage and camp supplies stored in the baggage compartment were not effectively secured.

• Although the operator’s procedures required that actual weights be used for passengers, baggage and other cargo, this procedure was routinely not followed, and pilots relied on estimated weights when calculating an aircraft’s weight and balance. [safety issue]

• Although the operator’s procedures required that baggage and cargo be secured during flight, this procedure was routinely not followed, and the aircraft were not equipped with cargo nets or other means for securing loads in the baggage compartment. [safety issue] • The operator’s pilots routinely conducted near-aerobatic manoeuvres during passenger charter flights. However, procedures for these manoeuvres were not specified in the operator’s Operations Manual, and there were limited controls in place to manage the risk of these manoeuvres. [safety issue]

• There were a significant number and variety of problems associated with the operator’s activities that increased safety risk, and the operator’s chief pilot held all the key positions within the operator’s organisation and conducted most of the operator’s flights. Overall, there were no effective mechanisms in place to regularly and independently review the suitability of the operator’s activities, which enabled flight operations to deviate from relevant standards. [safety issue]

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative 1