NEW - Jabiru J120

BigPete

Guest palexxxx

Thanks Case,

I didn't realize that I needed to scroll the screen over so no wonder I couldn't find it. I was looking at it on the small computer monitors at work.

Peter.

Hi Peter

I could not find it either until I did a refresh on the home page then it magically appeared under the spinning "new".

Apparently my Mozilla Firefox did not check if there was a new version of the home page before putting it on the screen!

My Internet explorer was set to check for updates - I shall have to check if that is an option for Mozilla and if so to turn it on.

It sounds like the original Jab upgraded to make it legal to put fuel in the tank with 2 POB.

Regards

$58k is not bad! I suspect they will sell a few of those. The LSA's go great with the latest 2.2's, moreso than the J160.

I suspect I know exactly why this model has been released but had better not write why in here because I might start some rumours that will upset some people!

Guest Fred Bear

Agreed re the web site Ross. I'll do them a better one in 10! Maybe they can swap me for an a/c. Seriously though, not bad fly away! I like

I even sent them an email over a year ago suggesting that their website was a shocker. Got a reply a few days later saying they were too busy building a/c to worry about their website....

Strange notion, I thought, given that a website is the public face of any business....

Ordinary website aside - the basic info on the J120 sounds impressive - in the sense of great value, at least. Does anyone out there have access to fuller spec and performance data??

Cheers,

Chris

Aircraft aside ;), this new Jab is going to make a very financially viable RAA-us training aircraft at that price - well done Jabiru 011_clap.gif.c796ec930025ef6b94efb6b089d30b16.gif

I just hope that if a school picks these up that their rates will drop accordingly as this will entice many many more "public" into the joys of flying

Guest Andys@coffs

I seem to recall that if you go back through the archival jabba chats (and yes they were more frequent back then!!) that the web site was done by a daughter or relative of the owner. I suspect that telling the family thatthe website is ugly will have the same affect as telling them their daughter is ugly! lots of luck getting that message through!

Andy

Guest Fred Bear
I seem to recall that if you go back through the archival jabba chats (and yes they were more frequent back then!!) that the web site was done by a daughter or relative of the owner. I suspect that telling the family thatthe website is ugly will have the same affect as telling them their daughter is ugly! lots of luck getting that message through!Andy

006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif006_laugh.gif.d4257c62d3c07cda468378b239946970.gif006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif006_laugh.gif.d4257c62d3c07cda468378b239946970.gif;)

Jabiru 120 - value for money

I might be missing something here, but how good is the value of $58k for the no frills Jabiru 120 when it seems there are quite a few second hand Jabirus which appear to be well equipped listed for sale between $40 to 60K? Is it that the 120 is factory built and under warranty? Or is it the new plane smell (fibreglass!) that people are chasing? I would buy new if I could, but only if it seems better value. Some of the second hand Jabirus have well under 100hrs, some less than 50hrs. Any thoughts are appreciated.

Mathew

I might be missing something here, but how good is the value of $58k for the no frills Jabiru 120 when it seems there are quite a few second hand Jabirus which appear to be well equipped listed for sale....

I reckon great value: LSA registration; brand new - more of the bugs sorted out and detail enhancements; same 100kt cruise as big brother. Often the low hours, current spec Jabs are priced at around $10K under their RRP - so the 120 looks exceptionally good to me. Put it alongside a Cessna Skycatcher U/L at AU$120K (in the USA) - and it's half price.

Cheers,

Chris

While appreciating what Jabiru are doing for the light sport market with their aircraft, you cannot honestly compare a $55K Jabiru with a $120K Cessna. That would be like comparing a Taxi pack Falcon and a 5 series BMW, not in the same league and aimed at different markets at either end of the spectrum.

Despite not being a fan of the Jabiru (just not my thing, not a fan of Falcons either :)), they are getting more people into recreational flying which is a good thing.

Cheers,

Matt.

Most of the early Jabs LSA 55/3J for sale are probably MTOW of 430Kg or less.

I am not sure if that was eventually raised to 470 Kg.

From the flight manual dated 30 march 1998

Double click to read the table below

[ATTACH]4354.vB[/ATTACH]

Empty weight about 240 kgs

Manoeuvring speed of 91 Kts

VNE of 116 kts.

Vfe (flaps) 70 kts

Maximum Glide for Minimum sink rate & Max distance in still air speed 72 kts

Internal tank 65 litres

The J160 Vno (max structural cruising speed) 104 kts (note this is NOT the J160C )

Va (Manoeuvring speed) is 104 kts

Vne (never exceed speed) 131 kts

MTOW 544 kg

Best glide speed 65 kts

Internal 80 litre tank or Wet wing134 litres

Vfe (flaps) 80 kts

Regards

1647398257_JabiruLSA553J.jpg.4b49a11e764e46fe88a7349091c96aa1.jpg

sadly it will destroy the second hand market, i have been looking at jabirus for a long time, at the 50K mark, now i can get a new on for that! though reading their info spiel, its good to see you get seats, fuel tank and undercarriage standard!

though being LSA can it be modified or other accessories added to it in any way? or is it just a cheap no frills base model only that cant be changed?

• More 1

One would assume that it is the old model LSA (which has nothing to do with the new LSA Class of aircraft) but factory certified under the new LSA rules - hence the 500kg take off weight against the old 470kg limit.

You probably won't be able to modify it without factory sanctions. I don't think it will push the second hand price down as it will be in high demand from training schools and may even generate a renewed interest in the older style of Jabiru.

What I mean is most people are happy to buy/fly the same as what they learned in. Call it comfort zone. So suddenly the older Jabiru is not old - its current. Remember the old days when a fresh coat of paint on the old VW made it look like the current model?

There are some really nice Jabirus out there with all sorts of extras and personal improvement done by their owners. How many of you will be busting to paint J120 on the tail?

regards

Guest Andys@coffs
.... you cannot honestly compare a $55K Jabiru with a $120K Cessna. That would be like comparing a Taxi pack Falcon and a 5 series BMW, not in the same league and aimed at different markets at either end of the spectrum.

Gees Matt, I reckon thats a bit harsh, the cessna is probably better than the falcon and the jabby's not quite at the BMW level yet:clap: Different markets? yep, the market that can afford $120k vs those that can afford $60k, the other differences, when compared to the cost delta become the sub 10% differences that probably wont make or break the decission for or against. (which is pretty much what you were saying I think, just couldnt miss the opportunity to missquote you... with election time occuring seems to be a fair bit of that going on..)

Andy

If I was to have aircraft on-line, I'd have 2 x J120's versus the one Skycatcher and day. Less operating costs and twice the income. Hire rates would be less and as such more people would want to hire it. It's the Holden of the airways and in a flying school that is exactly what you want. The biggest offical Rec flying school in OZ operates a fleet of 4 Jabiru's. The ones with the foreign aircraft still have a way to go yet to catch up.

J120, same specs aside from weight as LSA55, but remember that they are now 85hp which will give you the faster cruise. The higher VNE is merely because they are proven. Also, for those that didn't know, 100 knots used to be the max speed for AUF rego!

Guest High Plains Drifter

Brentc, what is the name of the flying school with four Jabirus online?

I saw a Jabiru hit a power line a few years ago - moderate damage to the wing and undercarrige. Both pilot and pax walked away. Its one tough bird.

HPD

Guest Bendorn

If the MTOW is 500kg.....

265kg empty

160kg for 2 average men

70kg for fuel

Leaves me just enough for my toiletry bag.......:;)2: