Australian Residential Airparks

Guest Bendorn

Goolwa Airport around 80km south of Adelaide.

www.goolwaairport.com.au

Blocks from $238000, areas from 2000 to 3400 sq m approx. sealed strip 01/19 and grass 16/34, 09/27.

GA, RAAus, warbirds, jets, aerobatics and parachutes intermingled.

Beautiful coastline between Kangaroo Island, Hindmarsh Island and River Murray Mouth, Lakes Alexandrina and Albert, steam trains and paddle steamers at the river wharf, first public railway in Australia etc etc. fastest growing population in SA, mostly retirees. Perfect tourist destination and great place to live. Should be a goer but haven't heard of any sales there yet. Local council has incorporated it into their development plans. Roadworks being built now.

I've just built a new place in the marina on Hindmarsh Island with jetty and cruiser. Sadly little or no amphibious stuff like NSW and Qld despite the calm wide open waters here - now there's an opening! Hoping to ramp up my instructing with Goolwa Recreational Flying School having moved from Murray Bridge.

I wouldn't want to live on an airpark though, too many opportunities for neighbourly arguments! I've tasted community titles/ strata titles several times and it takes a lot of patience and goodwill to make it work.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Gympie airport now has an airpark. The blocks are freehold. Council insist on owners being pilots, hangar be constructed first (or with the house) so that it is genuinely a pilot's paradise and not a defacto rural res or a hotchpotch of zincalume sheds and caravans. There's a covenant to that effect and standard of house.

Its a private development, although the airport is owned by Council. www.cumulusairpark.com.au From what I heard it sounds good, only 6 blocks, but larger 'hangar only' blocks to be released next. Gympie airport is in a very pretty area, near the Mary River and Bruce Hwy in Qld. It has always been busy with light aircraft when I have gone past.

Sue

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

GREAT NEWS!! .......for anyone looking for scenic coastlines, great weather all year round and semi-rural living.

Today, 21st October 2015, the Fraser Coast Regional Council APPROVED the Yengarie Airpark development 15km west of Maryborough on the Fraser Coast.

Finally after 8 years of hard negotiations across many desks, sanity has prevailed and will make the Fraser Coast region an Airpark Mecca having

3 airparks in the region.

Yengarie Airpark is strictly for RAAus and ASRA aircraft under 600kg, the other 2 are GA airparks; one near Hervey Bay and the other at Maryborough Airport.

All blocks in the Yengarie Airpark are Freehold title and will be in a secure gated community estate.

Here is the layout of the Airpark with lots 1 to 59 for sale but excluding lot 43 which has been set aside for Community facilities; Club house, BBQ area etc.

****NOTE! Stage 7 may not proceed but if it does, there will only be 3 lots available for sale, 61, 62 and 63; lot 60 remains part of the existing property.

824227557_YengarieAirparkapprovedlayout.jpg.3486d25440755bee06af1ad7bb5e2102.jpg

• Like 1

At the moment final prices have not been set but would be from $160,000 up to the biggest air side block 3,687 sqm, $200,000; could be slightly less but definitely no more.

I will let you know the building requirements later, I have to find out more information on that from the Airpark Town Planner.

That's a much larger development than the one I saw previously. What facilities are the developers providing? Power (underground or overhead), water, sealed roads, kerb & channel, storm water drainage, crossovers, communal septic system, telecoms (NBN ready) etc? Can the blocks back from the strip have hangars (is the road the taxiway) or only those facing the runway? Who maintains/owns the airstrip?

RAA is looking at a weight increase, so some of their aircraft (in the future) may be over 600kg. Restricting the aircraft to RAA / ASRA only has taken the gloss off it for me. I would rather be in a community that welcomed all forms of flying; gliders, balloons, gyrocopters, recreational GA and not restricting it to members of two organisations.

I have found a photo we took when we flew over last Saturday. The proposed Airpark is on the Right.

1002826494_YengarieAirpark.jpg.0d98333927f6a4350970e81c1617ca93.jpg

If you bought one of these and a friend wanted to visit you in his light GA plane. One that comes to mind is a classic Piper Super Cub PA-180. This plane weighs 1,750 lbs = 794 kg (maximum).

This would presumably not be permitted?

I have spoken to the developer of Yengarie Airpark and the requirements are; No relocatable homes of any type are permitted, all homes to be built with new materials with roofs being tiles or colourbond (no galvanised or zinc allowed) and full colourbond homes will not be permitted.

Only one residence and one hanger allowed per lot.

The hangars may be freestanding, attached to or be part of the dwelling with a minimum of 144 sqm and maximum of 360 sqm.

Developer will be providing to each lot; Power (underground), sealed roads, storm water drainage from lots, crossovers, telecommunication services.

All lot owners will be members of the Body Corporate which will own the airstrip, roads and public areas and control/maintain all operations of the airpark.

Septic systems and household water systems are the responsibility of each lot owner.

The developer will be providing a community amenities complex with building, BBQ facilities, Emergency and Fire appliance as well as a 200,000ltr water storage facility (for emergency use only).

Any future increase in MTOW weight by recreational aviation bodies will be included into the Airpark Operations and Safety manual.

GA exclusion was not the directive of the developer, but was a condition imposed by FCRC. (as there will be 3 other Airparks all catering for GA aircraft and within 35km of each other on the Fraser Coast)

If an aircraft is registered GA then it is NOT allowed to operate from the airpark. (GA registered aircraft may land at the Airpark only in emergency situation)

Aircraft types Permitted (under 600kg MTOW including future weight increases) are;

Fixed-wing aircraft

Helicopters and gyrocopters

Motorgliders

Powered parachutes

Microlights/trikes.

The Fraser Coast Regional Council will be the pioneer for setting the benchmark in airparks, which hopefully other Councils around Australia will now follow.

• Like 1

Once title is granted, there is little the Council can do. The planning part is there to mitigate future problems. Developers will "tell you anything.." to get the approval at the least cost to them. Then future land owners have to live with it. I suspect the restriction to <600kg recreational had to do with the developer talking his way out of sealing the strip and taxiway by saying they won't fly much and they prefer grass. The land owners (the Body Corp) will have to deal with complaints from Council about GA aircraft and excessive noise, movements etc. and pay the rates, insurance, maintenance etc on the strip and club-house (landing fees anyone?). Then again, as I have seen before, the whole thing could be on-sold to another developer as a potential for $11mil in sales for little outlay, for them to develop.

This development is not attractive to me, as firstly we would have to hangar one of our planes elsewhere and never fly home with it, secondly I think the house/hangar build and on-going body corp costs (going into retirement) will be more than we can justify and thirdly, it looks just like suburbia. It might suit someone else with a spare $mil.

• Haha 1

I have spoken to the developer of Yengarie Airpark and the requirements are; No relocatable homes of any type are permitted, all homes to be built with new materials with roofs being tiles or colourbond (no galvanised or zinc allowed) and full colourbond homes will not be permitted.

I can see why there is the ban on galvanised iron and Zincalume as the reflectivity factor is too great and an approaching pilot may cop the brunt of the sun's reflection on finals. However, very light coloured Colorbond (e.g. white) also have high reflectivity values.

It would make these rules better if a set factor would be forbidden. If any proposed builder falls below this, it should get automatic approval.

I can see why there is the ban on galvanised iron and Zincalume as the reflectivity factor is too great and an approaching pilot may cop the brunt of the sun's reflection on finals. However, very light coloured Colorbond (e.g. white) also have high reflectivity values.It would make these rules better if a set factor would be forbidden. If any proposed builder falls below this, it should get automatic approval.

Its about the snob factor 80k. The lower classes use Gal and Zincalume not we posh folk what lives in glass houses.