Thinking of buying this aircraft

Gregory

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi all ,Have found this drifter on gum tree and seriously considering it , may i ask if the price sounds about right ?

Cheers .

ultralight drifter aircraft | Other Automotive | Gumtree Australia Brookton Area - Brookton | 1143426250

I've been around that aircraft for over ten years. You won't get a better deal on one in that condition. cheers Riley

I've been around that aircraft for over ten years. You won't get a better deal on one in that condition. cheers Riley

Hey thanks Riley thats great to hear and i appreciate your comment, im going up to look at it this coming Sunday.

Hi all ,Have found this drifter on gum tree and seriously considering it , may i ask if the price sounds about right ?Cheers .ultralight drifter aircraft | Other Automotive | Gumtree Australia Brookton Area - Brookton | 1143426250

Hi Gregory, The price is good if the Aircraft is good! Do you know what to look for in determining the condition of the AC?

Frank.

• Winner 1

Hi Gregory, The price is good if the Aircraft is good! Do you know what to look for in determining the condition of the AC?Frank.

Thanks for answering Frank what to look for ? Not really, any advice you can offer would be sooo much appreciated!.

Cheers Greg.

Gregory, the best advice I can give, is, when you go to inspect the AC, take someone with you who is familiar with a WB Drifter, preferably someone with at least, a current L 2 rating.

If you have any other questions, I`ll try to answer.

Frank.

Gregory, the best advice I can give, is, when you go to inspect the AC, take someone with you who is familiar with a WB Drifter, preferably someone with at least, a current L 2 rating.If you have any other questions, I`ll try to answer.

Frank.

Thanks Frank, unfortunately I dont know anyone like that , but the Gentleman who is selling it is a qualified Aircraft Maintenance Engineer, so im guessing that he would have looked after his Aircraft.

Also i worked for Airborne Australia for 20 odd years building trikes so i have a fair understanding ! Having said that , i am very unfamiliar with a Drifter , but will do my best to evaluate it.

Another Gentleman on this Forum (Riley) said he has known this aircraft for the past 10 years and seems confident of it and the owner has offered to fly the aircraft to my home town (3 hour drive by car) , so its all sounding positive .

• Like 2

G'day Greg from a low hour Drifter driver (200 hours).

I had a look at the video and the pix and I have quite a few comments, but I won't do that until I hear about where you are with the possibility of buying this aircraft.

cheers,

BP

• Helpful 1

G'day Greg from a low hour Drifter driver (200 hours).I had a look at the video and the pix and I have quite a few comments, but I won't do that until I hear about where you are with the possibility of buying this aircraft.

cheers,

BP

Hi BP, feel free to comment as i have bought the aircraft,

• Like 2

OK mate, I'm sure the other Drifter drivers will comment on what I print here, it's all based on the little I know about Drifters...

the 503 will be fine for you getting to grips with the lil' beasty but I would definitely consider upgrading to a 582 in the future

the 25 rego is a good thing, not only because of the factory build but also that it can be used for training - having said that, I believe that virtually any "unofficial" modifications to the aircraft since manufacture will make that training option not quite within the 'rules' - not much of an issue I think but one to be at least considered

when I read that the 'skid' had been changed (and then watched the video and saw how low the tail of the aircraft is to the ground) I must admit I didn't like what I saw. Others will know more than me but I don't know if a skid is standard equipment. I have seen some Drifters with quite small solid rubber tail-wheels but even they make me cringe. My Drifter has the 'big' pneumatic tyre on the tail, it gives the aircraft a much flatter 'stance' and I have been told it makes take-offs and taxying easier. The main thing I don't like about the skid is that unless the ground is quite smooth, there would have to be considerable shocks and vibrations transmitted through the entire aircraft.

Do you have any figures for hours on the airframe? I noticed on the video that the dash hourmeter showed 900? Definitely a low hour airframe if it is, my lil' 0455 has over 3,500 hours...

The fuel tank behind the passenger seat does not look standard, only an issue if you need to use the 25 category = training.

If you were to run into some CASA people and they are in the mood for a picky ramp check, they might not be happy about the placards in the cockpit - could be an issue if you fly in to an airshow somewhere.

Finally, the cockpit doesn't look very standard either, again probably not really an issue - that's the same radio setup I use and it works perfectly.

M8 I hope I haven't burst your balloon, having your very own Drifter is a big deal and you are joining a very elite group - there's just nothing like a Drifter. BTW, if you want to see what a fairly standard Drifter looks like, if you get Microsoft Flight Simulator 10 (FSX) you can download the Drifter for the sim (payware, from Ant's Airplanes). Once up and flying (so you can zoom in from all angles) you will be able to get a real good look at 0455 - unfortunately, you will also get a good look at me - I'm the pilot in the red helmet!

Looking forward to your replies, and of course others here on the forum.

welcome to The Best Club in the World,

BP

• Informative 1

It appears to be a maxair 503. Everything looks original. Including the standard fuel tank. As I have one here in my hangar. The one here is completely original and has same fuel tank/s. As yours also appears to have the belly tank also. As does mine .priced reasonable fir a good market. Market is poor right now ;)

• Like 1

Wow flyerme the link worked great and I am indebted to you! What a document! I've been right through it and I am amazed how much of the detail is virtually identical to my (Austflight) Drifter...

Greg, if I were you I'd be printing out that document and getting it bound - it's priceless m8! BTW, I did notice in the manual there is no mention of a skid, only a tailwheel. All the detail is there on the parts needed to fit one.

Cheers,

BP

• Like 1

OK mate, I'm sure the other Drifter drivers will comment on what I print here, it's all based on the little I know about Drifters...the 503 will be fine for you getting to grips with the lil' beasty but I would definitely consider upgrading to a 582 in the future

the 25 rego is a good thing, not only because of the factory build but also that it can be used for training - having said that, I believe that virtually any "unofficial" modifications to the aircraft since manufacture will make that training option not quite within the 'rules' - not much of an issue I think but one to be at least considered

when I read that the 'skid' had been changed (and then watched the video and saw how low the tail of the aircraft is to the ground) I must admit I didn't like what I saw. Others will know more than me but I don't know if a skid is standard equipment. I have seen some Drifters with quite small solid rubber tail-wheels but even they make me cringe. My Drifter has the 'big' pneumatic tyre on the tail, it gives the aircraft a much flatter 'stance' and I have been told it makes take-offs and taxying easier. The main thing I don't like about the skid is that unless the ground is quite smooth, there would have to be considerable shocks and vibrations transmitted through the entire aircraft.

Do you have any figures for hours on the airframe? I noticed on the video that the dash hourmeter showed 900? Definitely a low hour airframe if it is, my lil' 0455 has over 3,500 hours...

The fuel tank behind the passenger seat does not look standard, only an issue if you need to use the 25 category = training.

If you were to run into some CASA people and they are in the mood for a picky ramp check, they might not be happy about the placards in the cockpit - could be an issue if you fly in to an airshow somewhere.

Finally, the cockpit doesn't look very standard either, again probably not really an issue - that's the same radio setup I use and it works perfectly.

M8 I hope I haven't burst your balloon, having your very own Drifter is a big deal and you are joining a very elite group - there's just nothing like a Drifter. BTW, if you want to see what a fairly standard Drifter looks like, if you get Microsoft Flight Simulator 10 (FSX) you can download the Drifter for the sim (payware, from Ant's Airplanes). Once up and flying (so you can zoom in from all angles) you will be able to get a real good look at 0455 - unfortunately, you will also get a good look at me - I'm the pilot in the red helmet!

welcome to

OK mate, I'm sure the other Drifter drivers will comment on what I print here, it's all based on the little I know about Drifters...the 503 will be fine for you getting to grips with the lil' beasty but I would definitely consider upgrading to a 582 in the future

BP

Wow

BP

BP

Wow , thanks for such a great reply BP,

yes i am considering adding a 582 down the track a bit, but first i want to do a little restoration work, including the tail wheel, you certainly haven't burst my balloon ! and i very much appreciate your comments , cheers Greg.

Wow flyerme the link worked great and I am indebted to you! What a document! I've been right through it and I am amazed how much of the detail is virtually identical to my (Austflight) Drifter...Greg, if I were you I'd be printing out that document and getting it bound - it's priceless m8! BTW, I did notice in the manual there is no mention of a skid, only a tailwheel. All the detail is there on the parts needed to fit one.

Cheers,

BP

yep i agree, what a win and thanks to Flyerme for the link

• Like 1

man I am so glad you are not pissy about all the stuff I wrote - as I said, I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed when it comes to Drifters but I do have 200 hours up (not a lot compared to many others) and I have spent a lot of time fooling around with 0455 - twood not be a bad idea to get the flightsim version for practice, I and a few other Drifter drivers put a lot of work into getting the flight dynamics spot on for the model. The Ants Airplanes Drifter is very close to the real thing - I would pull the throttle in 0455 at different locations at Boonah and if the flightsim version under development did not land at the same place as the real one, Anthony would subtly alter the program. Not all FSX aircraft will sideslip, but Ants Drifter will do so with a definite degree of realism. You can even practice things like lifting the tailwheel during takeoff before rotating - it all works as good as it can be considering it is a computer program!

Keep in touch (this thread is perfect) about your training and flying experiences - I have a big anniversary coming up - 18 November is my 10th anniversary of going solo in a Drifter - won't ever forget that day!!!

cheers

BP

Just curious, (sorry I have no meaningful input here) What do the weights mean? In particular MTWMTW: 203 kgs?

MTOW: 400 KGs (I know this is maximum takeoff weight)

not sure really, probably refers to the empty weight of the aircraft, 'tis a strange thing - MTW - maximum tare weight as in tare vs. gross weight? gotta be empty weight methinks...

BP

• Like 1

Thanks for all the enthusiasm your putting into my simple post BP, im not that great on a computer and to be honest im a bit lost with the flight sim stuff, but i will research it and try to understand it ? .

Im a trike pilot who has always secretly loved the Drifter ever since I saw one about 15 years ago ! When i saw this one for sale only 3 hours drive from my home town , i knew it had to be !!! The gentleman i bought it from is flying it home for me next Sunday ( weather permitting) my plan is to get familiar with it and to give it a good tidy up , im in no rush as i have my little trike to fly in the mean while , love your enthusiasm and would definitely like to keep in touch ,

Cheers Greg .

Hey Greg, you're not alone in secretly loving Drifters - I was exiting an A380 past the cockpit and I saw the pilots at the door, I asked if I could say hello and they said OK, one an Aussie and the other a Kiwi ! They said I could have a quick look at the cockpit (I knew what it would look like from my flightsim) but I was gobsmacked by the size of it - you could have a party in there m8 - and all so simple and uncluttered. When I mentioned the Drifter I said that they fly the biggest and I fly the smallest, the Aussie said he'd always wanted one, the Kiwi said he'd seen one at a fly-in somewhere and thought it was a great little machine - they went off talking about where they could hangar one if they went halves in it !!!!! That was one of my favourite aviation encounters.

I had a TIF in a trike a few years ago (wanted to see Bright in Victoria from the air) and was amazed by the reversed controls and delay in control inputs to the aircraft, compared to the Drifter it was so different. The Drifter has very light and precise handling with quite minimal pilot inputs (a lot like a glider). Those full length ailerons the reason why they are so sensitive in roll, and the tail-feathers are actually quite big for the size of the aircraft too, so same same. You will hear people call the Drifter a "hands and feet" aircraft - particularly feet, primarily during the take-off roll. With the light weight and pusher prop throwing prop wash over the rudder, take-offs are the hardest thing to learn, at least for me it was. It's all about a gentle application of power (around 3 seconds) and rudder inputs that are both quick to react and with enough authority. Once I got those concepts going I went solo in an hour.

There are two types of take-off procedures - the easy one is to just leave the tailwheel on the ground during the roll and when the aircraft reaches flying speed it will simply lift off. The other one is (I think) practiced by most tailwheel pilots, this is how I was taught - a little forward stick is used at the start of the roll and the tailwheel will lift off gently once elevator authority is active. The tailwheel is held there as the (level) aircraft accelerates, at about 50 knots the main wheels are popped about a metre off the ground until 60 comes up, then rotate and climb away.

Enough rabbiting for now, hope the weather is good on 4/11/2017 for you and your new obsession. Looking forward to seeing some more pix of the lil' beasty once you get it home.

Added a photo taken by one of my lucky passengers (16 year old local girl) over Wyaralong Dam (near Beaudesert).

BP P4070059.JPG.c2957798ff4533ab02a667c0e8a3ee99.JPG

• Like 3

Bloody hell BP, your a good writer, i couldnt type that much in a week , but i love your replys and very much appreciate them im really excited to recieve my new (old) aircraft , i love that i now have a detailed set of drawings and info re: the drifter , also looking forward to learning to fly it , im lucky enough to live on a property that has a 700 meter airstrip with a 650 meter cross strip with hangars available to me! And only 10 minutes fly to our beautiful coast line,

Cheers BP ,Greg.

• Like 2

well some would say that I'm a bit windy but that's just me - my writing is automatic, straight from the poor old brain, I type at around 100 words a minute (touch - I don't look at the keyboard) and I have written hundreds of flightsim articles for just about every GA magazine in Oz - flightsimming is one of my obsessions and being able to fly 'my' Drifter from my study desk is just awesome. Thanks so much for the kind words, much appreciated m8. My aviation background includes (at varying levels of involvement) skydiving, Army Aviation (7 years), paragliding, gliding, hot air ballooning, and radio control aircraft. An aviation tragic for sure...but my greatest love is my Drifter - can't wait to get 0455 back in the air after the motor swap is complete.

You are truly blessed to be not only the owner of a Drifter but to be able to utilise this forum and take advantage of all those who have spectacular levels of knowledge and experience of not only all things aviation, but hands-on knowledge of the Drifter as well. Not only that, they are only too happy to share that knowledge and experience with you, and that is Gold...the little I have to offer is hopefully of some value to you.

cheers for now

BP

• Helpful 1