Best Temperature Instrumentation for Jabiru 2200

Bell Driver

A cheap skid ball by the looks of it.

Yeah - I purchased one ( to try out) - Works but a bit too sensitive/twitchy compared with an aviation dedicated unit. Not wishing to make holes in my "custom" panel ,I surface mounted mine with double sided tape.

Check out the web site blow for the full range - if you want to purchase one, dont mention aircraft - (they get awfully twitchy). I purchased the Level-O-Gauge 4, as price & dimensions suited my application.

www.levogage.com

• Like 2

I assume the fluid is to dampen the movement of the ball; an unneccessary complication in my view.

Mine doesn't roll around much, even in turbulence. It only approaches the ends of the tube when I do extreme side slips.

• Like 1

Hi Brinykraut,

Interesting instrument/engine control layout.

What I see:

2 seat ultralight

Warm weather

In cloud/light rain @ 860 ft (AMSL ?) probably only 500 ft, or less above terrain.

Very low oil temperature - good pressure.

What looks like part of a transever control less frequencies ??

Level/slipping turn @ 75 knots indicated - inclinometer overly sensitive (I have one too)

Engine speed (2500 rpm) indicative of a direct drive engine (Jabiru ?) @ about economy cruise power

Interesting split EGT/CHT - I see your 4 way switch - size & complexity suggests an obsession with engine temps.

Navigation tablet - cant read it very well and I dont recognise the App

Hard wired ELT

What are the two black oblongs (OAT & time?)

Centre engine/ electrical control - recognise all but the "gold" thing top left (Starter??) and the white button bottom right (circuit breaker ?)

Hey Skippy, quite the inventory! Let's see,

Avid Flyer C model, empty weight 604 lbs. Registered here (USA) as E/AB, does that make it ultralight in OZ?

Yep, Jab 2200 with hydraulic lifters, 2015 vintage. After attending Jab USA engine workshop I follow their advice and run no less than 2800 rpm for cruise, avg 75- 80 knts high cruise at around 4 gph.

That shot was taken en route to our Hood River fly-in in the Columbia gorge, about 800 ft above the Columbia river in low cloud and drizzle--fairly common weather conditions in the Pacific NW.

OAT was in the 50's F, and yes, oil temps ran low due to cool air and rain. I've installed an adjustable blocking plate that keeps temps in the suggested 180-200 degree range now.

I have no transponder, just the intercom and a hand-held on a swivel mount overhead with PTT switch on the stick.

I was banked slightly left turning upriver--you're correct, sensitive (and 'inexpensive') inclinometer, added after removing a ridiculously heavy electric T&B. Works fine for both yaw and bank.

Mr. K, I love that bespoke skid ball with the bearing and corks! That's some home brew engineering alright.

The engine monitor gauge came with the plane (I am owner #2) and I am happy to have it without having to spend for a 'nicer' digital display. The sensors are screwed into the cylinders rather than spark plug mounts.

Ah, the nav--iFly, out of Dallas, Texas. I can't say enough about the user friendliness vs. capability of this system, so I won't. They have a very good online user base/info.

I removed the old voltmeter and had room for a digital voltmeter and Ammeter--I like data, this adds without burdening.

The gold knob is a primer circuit added by the builder, though I find I only use it in coldest weax.

The builder also split the electrical system with two ckt brkrs, one for radio.

I redid the original panel along with a lot of mods and fixes after purchase. So far the engine only required a new machined starter housing after the cast one cracked. Very good customer support by Jab USA.

Cheers all!

635936988_DSC01636(Large).thumb.jpeg.3f6ead6fbcc883f504da98a685ce6e22.jpeg2086946636_IMG_2835(Edited)(Large).thumb.jpeg.32d21b5f8cc43548096d7854d34400a2.jpeg99792059_IMG_2297(Large).thumb.jpeg.3ee304cf07b115762210459981cae742.jpeg394170386_DSC01665(Large).thumb.jpeg.734434adbd0d8cb0d06460ab9bb6baaa.jpeg

• Like 3

Liquids: while I don't know what liquid is in the skid ball, once I asked an aircraft instrument place just what liquid was in the compass. The answer was white spirits, so I got some from Bunnings and it has been fine for years.

The sensitivity would depend on how closely the ball fitted the tube and the viscosity of the liquid. White spirits is not very viscous.

Liquids: while I don't know what liquid is in the skid ball, once I asked an aircraft instrument place just what liquid was in the compass. The answer was white spirits, so I got some from Bunnings and it has been fine for years.

The sensitivity would depend on how closely the ball fitted the tube and the viscosity of the liquid. White spirits is not very viscous.

Turps. That makes absolute sense. Not going to slow it too much.

For the Jab engine you can get CHT sensors of two types.

Jab recommend the type that goes between spark plug and head. The other is connected to a fin by a screw.

The under plug type tend to break when you undo and do up the plugs. I have changed to the screw mounted type with no problems.

Jabiru put out an advisory bulletin in 2013 to change the CHT sensor from under the plug to a 5/32 screw installed between the plugs. There is an existing 1/8 hole which needs to be drilled to 12mm deep & tapped to take a 5/32 screw. The existing spark plug ring can be cut off leaving enough metal to drill a 5/32 hole to connect it to the cylinder head. This provides a more consistent and more accurate CHT reading and does not necessitate removal to change plugs.

• Like 1

I use the MGL TC-3 to monitor EGT and CHT on my Jabiru 3300. It's a good instrument. Easy to read and set up.

Thats my set up as well.

Hasnt let me down in 5 years, and good support from the Supplier Lightflying.

• Agree 1