Low cost ADS-B options for VFR aircraft

Looks like finally the push for cheap "be seen" hardware is coming from CASA and now RAA

The CASA paper is good reading to make sure you understand the ops and the different types. There are a few devices now popping up for EC / TABS operation

Here is one of them

It is set so that when you select Australia it drops off the UAT system and only enables the 1090 system we use here. The Flarm wont work here because in Europe its on the 800mhz band but its much lower here

Pretty reasonable price too..seeing it has the high spec GPS in it used for ADS-B about AU$900.00 works with Ozrunways and Avplan

https://uavionix.com/products/skyecho/

https://www.uavionix.com.au/skyecho2/

https://www.casa.gov.au/sites/default/files/advisory-circular-91-23-ads-b-enhancing-situational-awareness.pdf

Jokes aside, this is an interesting and significant development.

I would imagine all military aircraft would be TCAS fitted.

Apparently the Brits are moving in that direction:

https://forums.flyer.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=112681&start=150

Re: Simultaneous Mode S/ADSB transmissions. (Rules relaxed)#1742813

By gaznav - Fri Jan 24, 2020

"... the military are starting to use WAM and ADS-B now and their 3000-series ATC policy from the Military Aviation Authority (MAA) is riddled with statements like “ Automatic Dependant Surveillance Broadcast (ADS-B) and Wide Area Multilateration (WAM) are acceptable alternatives to SSR.” However, again their minimum standard is SIL=1 from certified sources. "

• 2 weeks later...

I have the sky echo 2 and have tried it out. It appeared on flight radar 24 just after take off. It interfaces to my Oz runways, after I upgraded to premium, and I see traffic received directly. Uavionix have been swamped with orders and have limited the numbers you can buy. My local airports where I fly, Taree and Bathurst, have commuters so I will be seen and I like to see them.

• Like 1

Mine's working well. I could see myself in Avplan with my rego. With the current ios on the iPad I don't have to set a static ip (which I couldn't anyway) for the internet to still work whilst connected to the sky echo. I was flying with another plane and Oz Runways doesn't show ADSB via the internet like AV Plan does. My friend couldn't see me.

Competition or not safety should be the priority.

The one time we want CASA to issue a directive for safety reasons and over a commercial body and they dont seem compelled to add that the EFB data must be shared for ADS-B for any EFB program supplier.

They rant and rave and say they do it for safety they should force any EFB company to share this data as a common part of their approvals to be used

• Like 2

Yes there is...they legistlate that every aircraft has at least a EC or TABS unit or worst case a transponder then that costs everyone a lot more to fly. Its much easier and cheaper to make the "other" company share its data as you have already bought a tracking system that works when you are in phone coverage

Empire First

Safety Second

I have come to the painful realisation that this is the ethos of too many in positions of power, from local government to the corporate level.

The old-fashioned concept of providing a service has gone.

• Agree 2

I have come to the painful realisation that this is the ethos of too many in positions of power, from local government to the corporate level.

The old-fashioned concept of providing a service has gone.

A simpler term is "Follow the Money"

Mine's working well. I could see myself in Avplan with my rego. With the current ios on the iPad I don't have to set a static ip (which I couldn't anyway) for the internet to still work whilst connected to the sky echo. I was flying with another plane and Oz Runways doesn't show ADSB via the internet like AV Plan does. My friend couldn't see me.

You only get the ADSB on Ozrunways if you have the next level up..the premium one..Avplan does it in the their base version

Chaps, I'm a bit confused by this exchange. So to help me get it right:

1. mkennard, what is this method 'to set a static IP' all about, and why might it be necessary in some cases?

(I assume that if you're using wi-fi to connect to your SkyEcho - as you must - then your iPad will still connect to the internet via mobile phone towers, as usual, right? (as long as you have a SIM and current plan) Otherwise, you'd have to choose between being conspicuous to other OzRwy/AvPlan users on the one hand, and ATC + other aircraft with ADSB-IN, on the other. Right? Because if you're not online how could your device report its location to your EFB server?

2. And when you say that "Oz Runways doesn't show ADSB via the internet like AV Plan does" does that mean that AvPlan gets a feed from 'FlightRadar' or similar? I'm guessing that'd be the only way you could get ADSB traffic via the internet. As far as I knew, neither EFB app presents ADSB data on its map page (unaided by local devices) only the reported position of their own customers' devices, which is shared - with permission, and only with fellow customers - via the internet. Of course, this is useful - and pretty much the only way - to see aircraft that don't have ADSB-OUT.

3. And Mark, what did you mean by an ADSB display being offered by OzRwys in their premium version? You mean with an ADSB-IN device, right? Because, as far as I was aware, the only way to get (local) ADSB traffic onto the OzRwys map page is via your own ADSB-IN device, like the SkyEcho2 (IN/OUT) or a (cheaper) IN-ONLY model. OzRwys presents this [local only] ADSB derived traffic on its map page as a darker shade of blue, precisely to differentiate the sources. (Darker, that is, than the light blue it uses for its other-user traffic) Am I missing something here?

(BTW I agree, that it's scandalous that the EFB companies refuse to share their respective customer info.)

Edited by Garfly

Chaps, I'm a bit confused by this exchange. So to help me get it right:

1. mkennard, what is this method 'to set a static IP' all about, and why might it be necessary in some cases?

(I assume that if you're using wi-fi to connect to your SkyEcho - as you must - then your iPad will still connect to the internet via mobile phone towers, as usual, right? (as long as you have a SIM and current plan) Otherwise, you'd have to choose between being conspicuous to other OzRwy/AvPlan users on the one hand, and ATC + other aircraft with ADSB-IN, on the other. Right? Because if you're not online how could your device report its location to your EFB server?

2. And when you say that "Oz Runways doesn't show ADSB via the internet like AV Plan does" does that mean that AvPlan gets a feed from 'FlightRadar' or similar? I'm guessing that'd be the only way you could get ADSB traffic via the internet. As far as I knew, neither EFB app presents ADSB data on its map page (unaided by local devices) only the reported position of their own customers' devices, which is shared - with permission, and only with fellow customers - via the internet. Of course, this is useful - and pretty much the only way - to see aircraft that don't have ADSB-OUT.

3. And Mark, what did you mean by an ADSB display being offered by OzRwys in their premium version? You mean with an ADSB-IN device, right? Because, as far as I was aware, the only way to get (local) ADSB traffic onto the OzRwys map page is via your own ADSB-IN device, like the SkyEcho2 (IN/OUT) or a (cheaper) IN-ONLY model. OzRwys presents this [local only] ADSB derived traffic on its map page as a darker shade of blue, precisely to differentiate the sources. (Darker, that is, than the light blue it uses for its other-user traffic) Am I missing something here?

(BTW I agree, that it's scandalous that the EFB companies refuse to share their respective customer info.)

1. To connect to wifi with a device that I used to use for ADSB-in (I used a stratux) I couldn't get internet at the same time. Avplan wouldn't update any services (like weather) so setting a static ip on the wifi for the stratux allowed me to still get internet access via the sim card.

2. If I didn't have the stratux (adsb-in) I would have to rely on the internet from AVPLAN to get my traffic from adsb sources. Oz Runways doesn't get ADSB data from the internet for basic and then you need something like a stratux to get a source. Another words my friend was on the basic for Oz Runways and couldn't see my adsb paint where as I could see myself because I was on AVPLAN.

3. I think I answered point three. Does this info help?

• Informative 1

Try this, will give ADSB, Avplan and Ozrunways paints into your EFB.

https://apps.apple.com/au/app/avtraffic/id1256899956

Tassie that looks like the answer to my prayers, but it's incompatible with this ancient iPad.

While I save up for a new one, perhaps you could give us more details of how it works, and how well it improves your awareness of traffic.

Okay thanks for the information, guys. It sets me off on some more research. ;-)

But, mk, as I understand it right now, even OzRwys premium would not have given your friend a paint of your aircraft on its map page if he didn't also have an ADSB-IN device hooked up to his iPad. (Unless there's been a feature set that I've totally missed ;-) But maybe he did, and that's what you meant.

ADSB issues aside, what's shocking is that he couldn't have seen you anyway if you were both on different EFB platforms.

And Tas, that's interesting, I hadn't seen that app before. But then, is it the case, that AvPlan somehow manages to incorporate all the information of an app like that right onto its own map page?

Anyway, mk, I am definitely interested to make sure that my iPad can still be online via the celluar network at the same time that I'm using my wifi to connect to the SkyEcho.

Anyway, is it easy to set up a 'static IP'?

I can't find anything on the Oz Runways site that confirms the internet side of ADSB. Someone with Premium will have to update us.

As per my test last week, I still had internet but on the Oz Runways site they still have a page on how to set your iPad to support both connections. Maybe Apple did something because now you can't set a static ip without a gateway which was required before.

• Like 1

Okay, thanks, mk.

And I found the article in OzRwys that you mentioned, dealing with your original problem (the ADSB device blocking internet access).

Very useful to know.

https://ozrunways.tenderapp.com/kb/troubleshooting/no-internet-access-ozrunways-traffic-when-ads-b-receiver-connected

I also found this which says you need to run the premium version in order to connect external ADSB devices.

This might explain our confusion because I have not yet found an equivalent of AvPlan's ADSB 'Live Traffic' via internet (regardless of version).

https://ozrunways.tenderapp.com/kb/asd-pi-ads-b-receivers/ads-b-receiver-setup-and-troubleshooting