Fire fighting drones.

red750

It looks a bit faked to me. What is holding the drones in position, horizontally? The high pressure of water leaving a fire hose usually takes 3 blokes, bracing themselves, to hold the hose steady - either that, or a solid hose support arrangement.

The weight of the water in the vertical section of those hoses would be huge - more than any drone could support. I can't see this "Drone firefighting", happening any time soon.

For fire observation and water guidance purposes - Yes. But for actually handling the water weight, and pressure required - No.

Edited by onetrack

14 hours ago, onetrack said:

It looks a bit faked to me. What is holding the drones in position, horizontally? The high pressure of water leaving a fire hose usually takes 3 blokes, bracing themselves, to hold the hose steady - either that, or a solid hose support arrangement.

The weight of the water in the vertical section of those hoses would be huge - more than any drone could support. I can't see this "Drone firefighting", happening any time soon.

For fire observation and water guidance purposes - Yes. But for actually handling the water weight, and pressure required - No.

After seeing this video I had a look at other similar stuff and maybe there is something to it. There’s some similar stuff coming out of Europe. 
There’s another video of same Chinese drone test with the drones on the ground and people working around them. Theyre actually huge for a drone. Looks like about maybe just under 3 metres across. The hose is also fairly small diameter nothing like a normal fire hose.  so the weight of water in the hose may not be that much, especially if the pump on the ground is providing a lot of pressure to drive it up.

The recoil is another thing though. I’d guess there’s some limit to the mass of water that can be directed laterally. Wouldn’t take much to overcome the lateral positional stability of the drone.  
I’d guess they could increase the stability by making some of the rotors vertical and push in the opposite direction. 

They seem OK for external fascia and cladding fires. I have some doubts about fighting fires internally in the building through windows though. 

• Like 1

I don't think it's water they're spraying. Maybe CO2?  Here's a better video showing the drones up close on the ground, they aren't overly small, but still, there's no chance they can carry a hose filled with any decent amount of water.

• Like 1

Whether it is real or not, the "fire" they are putting out is just hessian or a similar material, which will extinguish with minimal water.

While using the drones is a good idea, if it were a real high rise with furniture and fittings inside, it would take a hell of a lot of water, mush more than being put out by the drones.
But I suppose, "watch this space"

A few years ago, electric cars had a range of about one hundred kms, now it is several hundred.

• Like 1