RAAF Centenary 100 Aeroplanes "Air Armada" over Melbourne on Sunday 28 March 2021

SGM

I saw Murray sporting a 100aeroplanes.org t-shirt out at Lilydale Flying school... so I had to look it up..

"The basic idea is to fly 100 aeroplanes over Point Cook, home of the RAAF, the Shrine of Remembrance, and over Melbourne. Technically, this will not be a formation of 100. In fact, we might not be able to find 100 formation-endorsed pilots and suitable aircraft. The event is best described as a Balbo, or an Air Armada. This means there will be multiple smaller formations working together to fly a large number of aircraft over Melbourne in the same timeframe.

Route here..  https://www.100aeroplanes.org/flight-details/route

Great idea I think.

Just now, SGM said:

A shame, maybe they can either watch from the vantage points or hitch a ride with their GA friends?

Or maybe lurk around in the sky - at a safe distance and outside of Controlled airspace.

Ie, if the Air Armada is cruising across Port Phillip heads at 2000 AMSL, it would be a pretty spectacular view from 4000ft.

• 2 months later...

I was out pruning the wild fronds off the bougainvillea this afternoon when a formation of three what looked like CT4's or Victas heading towards Gippsland (East Sale?).

I saw a trio of Airbus helicopters maybeAirbus 120 flying North over Emerald (Vic) today possibly from Microflite?  Are they participating in the centenary or just doing another group thing ?

20 hours ago, red750 said:

I was out pruning the wild fronds off the bougainvillea this afternoon when a formation of three what looked like CT4's or Victas heading towards Gippsland (East Sale?).

Went out to mow the lawn at about 2:10. Two formations, one of four planes, followed closely by one of five planes, all heading East.

Is that IT? 100 years of the RAAF is a bit of a deal even though I've never done time with it. I did get a bit of a discount for a while being  considered a possible reservist. Flown with plenty of RAAF and RAF fella's. Nev

Yes. Don't know what happened. Maybe that's why there was no report on 10 News at 5, 7 news at 6, or ABC at 7. If it was on, nobody told the media.