Savannah wings with 4 tanks

Luca Milesi

Hello to everyone,

I need 😏 your invaluable help again

I m building my  Savannah right  wing but unfortunately the instructions that ICP provided to me (see pictures)  are for the european model with single tanks while  my model has the double tanks. I think that the angulars should not been placed at the same location. Or perhaps am I wrong?

Does anyone have the right instructions for the model with double tanks? That would very helpful to me.

Thnak you in advance and blue skies

Luca

Right wing assembly 1.jpg

Right wing assembly 2.jpg

Right wing assembly 3.jpg

Ali savannah.jpg

• Like 1

Luca, you are correct: the angulars as they call them (which stiffen the skin) are not used in the fuel tank bays, as the fuel tanks must press tight against the top skins.

(FWIW, some builders use those spare angulars at the outboard skin join in the horizontal stabiliser.)

• Like 1

Okay. When you get to the horizontal stabiliser, you will find that the front longeron does not go all the way across. So the join between the front skin and the top and bottom skins is not supported all the way to the outer tips.
It is a very simple matter to use the 'angulars' that you did not use where your extra fuel tanks are to support the join in the outer stabiliser skins: the hole spacing is identical.

I missed this initially in my own build, but found the skins to be very 'soft' with lack of support, so opened my stabiliser and added the angulars.

It was a big improvement and I think many builders do this.

• Like 1

Luca ... If you go to this page 17  on my rebuild blog you do what I did on the outer tank sections. I changed my tanks but the process is still the same

Have a read through this blog if you havent already this may give you some insights into the construction. I have made mods though to what I want in mine.

My previous blog building a new XL is also on here if you ahvent read it..it is the first one I built some 9 years ago and it will show you some tips as well

On page 4 you will see I did the same thing

• Like 1

Luca

On page 15/34 where components SA160-1 are located there should be a large hole for the outer tank.  The illustration has one but for the two tank version there should be two.

So there is actually nowhere to place these.  My recollections are fading but I think the other angulars go as per instruction.