EA81 Exhaust valves

Jas

I found tons of exhaust valves for a EA81 block but then they want to know the make an model an year 

All is my snowplane was home built in the 60s an then they replaced the engine in the 80s with a EA81 ser# 368280.

Have you tried going to a Subaru dealership and speaking to the Service Manager, he may be able to bring up the engine or model fitment details from the S/No.?

Might have to sweet talk the Service Manager or slip him a few greenbacks to help you out. Could also help if you tell him you'll purchase the exhaust valves off his dealership - if they're available.

The engine is 1980's, so getting more difficult to acquire parts for today, just like all 35-40 yr old engines. The aftermarket suppliers will be the best likelihood for sourcing the valves.

2 hours ago, onetrack said:

An aftermarket "brand name" such as Mahle would ensure the valve quality is satisfactory. I certainly wouldn't be buying exhaust valves made in China.

I am young enough to remember when this sort of contemptuous sentiment was levelled at anything made in Japan - how things have changed!

Valves are known to be ' ;adapted ' to the valve seat requirements.

Stem length & diameter are the norm to fit, the head can be machined to the size required, the seal is ground when all other sizes do fit.

OLDEN days required ' adaptability more than, off the shelf availability.

Just an old persons, thoughts on spare parts, ( like a rejplacement hip !. )  LoL

spacesailor

Nev, Mahle still have 3 manufacturing plants in the U.S. that manufacture pistons, rings and bearings (under the Clevite brand) - but yes, it appears Mahle China is the division manufacturing valves, inserts, guides and camshafts.

https://www.mahle-aftermarket.com/na/en/press/mahle-aftermarket-news/mahle---the-global-leader-in-forward-thinking-concepts-products-and-systems-25600

https://www.cn.mahle.com/en/products-and-services/passenger-cars/valve-train/

If all else fails, I have an assortment of used EA81 valves and can help. Postage could be an issue as I am in South Australia. If needed, email me with the measured diameter of the valve head. Also be aware that the metallurgy changed in 1986  with the introduction of unleaded petrol in Australia. These later valves (EA81's were sold in Brumby utes in Oz up to about 1994) are better quality.

• Like 1

The eBay seller in the link below has provided the technical/dimension variations in the EA81 exhaust valves, just scroll down the page.

The Nason group won't say where their products are made, they only say, "Nason has only partnered with manufacturers who have certifications showing they meet an international standard of quality management and assurance. This ensures that every Nason engine part they supply will be equal to, or better than, O.E.M. quality, every time."  This statement, of course, means that China is most likely their main supplier.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/303587771878