WANTED : Jabiru Tachometer with inductive sender

The jabiru invoice for the tacho sender I got in  2017 shows item No PI11763N. I don't know if this is a Jabiru number or manufacturers number. The sender is quite small. I reckon about 25-30mm long & 1/4 unf sound about the right thread size. I've got 2 hours before my next 100 hourly & annual so if you haven't sorted it out by the end of the week that will be close to me pulling the cowls of & I'll photograph it. The 2 wires are integrated, there are no terminals.

It seems odd that Jabiru have no stock. They need one for every engine & have produced about 7000 of them so far. I haven't called them for ages but one of their best blokes was called Cody. If he is still there he will know everything you need to know.

Edited by kgwilson

Thanks KGW. Yep, I've been emailing Cody re the sender, and he told me they couldn't supply it at a reasonable price, and gave me the link to the alternate supplier.

I have pulled the old sensor out, and it matched the specs of the 304-166 that Cody pointed me to.

PI11763N is the Jabiru P/No., and Skycraft in the U.K. show 5 in stock at £42.02 each. That's around AU$80, and it appears Skycraft will be your best bet to source the sensor. This unit appears identical to the RS 304-166 sensor.

https://skycraft.ltd/acatalog/Tacho-Sender-PI11763N.html

4 hours ago, onetrack said:

PI11763N is the Jabiru P/No., and Skycraft in the U.K. show 5 in stock at £42.02 each. That's around AU$80, and it appears Skycraft will be your best bet to source the sensor. This unit appears identical to the RS 304-166 sensor.

https://skycraft.ltd/acatalog/Tacho-Sender-PI11763N.html

Yep that is the correct one. I still don't understand Jabirus comment. If I wanted a new one I'd give them a copy of my old invoice  if their price came back at over $200.00 I'd want a good explanation especially as their UK agent has them for less than half of that.

• Agree 1

On 20/02/2022 at 7:18 AM, Bruce Tuncks said:

The Jabiru sender is interesting in that it is screwed directly onto the engine block against the sender instructions.

So it fails from vibrations...

Actually, the oil sender fails from rapid fluctuations in the oil pressure. Several have researched this and it comes from the pressure regulator valve hammering open-close-open-close. The oil pressure sender is just a wire-wound potentiometer resistor with a mechanical wiper, and it dances with the rapid pressure pulses. This quickly wears out the wire and that makes the sensor fail.

• Like 1
  • Informative 2

• 6 months later...
On 21/02/2022 at 3:24 PM, onetrack said:

I had to replace my Tacho sensor, Couldn't get one anywhere.. I purchased this one with freight about AU$120

This one was just a couple of threads too short for my application, 3300A solid lifter engine. But as the threat in the mounting bracket was damaged, I drilled it out and used the locking nuts to secure it in place. I had to counter sink the top nut so to get enough depth.

So all in all worked out well and Tacho is now working.

• Like 1
  • Informative 2

I thought about the problem and decided to use the alternator for the tacho. It worked just fine on my system ( I reduced the voltage to trigger the pulse.)

Well the guy who looked after the club plane wanted one too.... alas, the thing stopped working at 3000 rpm on the club plane.

All you need is a pulsed something in synch with the rpm.

• Like 1

FYI - The jabiru oil pressure sensor problem is an engine induced issue- the PRV oscillates around a small band and wears a hole in the wiper region on the VDO sensor.....There are two fixes for that- 1- replace the sensor regularly, 2) replace the PRV with the upgraded PRV (non jabiru) 3) use a solid state sensor (lasts forever but only EFIS compatible- not resistive gauge compatible)