GPS Receiver/Antenna

Attention Electronics  Wizards;

I seek your wise council.

I have a Dynon SkyView  display in my new Sonex - It has come to my notice that the addition of a GPS receiver will make significant  improvements to its utility.

Dynon make two GPS receivers; the SV-GPS-250 and the SV-GPS2020.

It seems to me (the epitome of technological ignorance) that the 250 is likely to do all that I may want  for now and at 1/3 the price of the 2020 appeal to my short arm/deep pocket principals.

However the 2020 seems to have features that are pretty much required by Uncle Sam. As Australia often follows the direction set by Sam I wonder if I should dig deep and purchase the more capable unit?

Your thoughts Gentlefolk

Hi Skippy I have a dual VHF/GPS antenna.  I bought it but it did not get into the air.  I upgraded to WAAS.  This is not a waas antenna. Let me know if you are interested.

Geoff

1 hour ago, Geoff_H said:

Hi Skippy I have a dual VHF/GPS antenna.  I bought it but it did not get into the air.  I upgraded to WAAS.  This is not a waas antenna. Let me know if you are interested.

Geoff

Me thinks you doth confuse my dim intellect - I seek advice not more choice.

Tell me (in very basic english) why I might be interested in your device.

I currently have the SV-GPS-250 but plan to upgrade to the SV-GPS-2020 when the ADSB rebate becomes available in a couple of months. 

If you can wait you might get it for half price.

• Like 1

Dear Geoff ,

"My project is composite.  No need for it"

Don't know why a composite aircraft might be different to a metal aircraft, in this particular debate - please expand.

Nice looking antenna - already have a Commant whip style , with 45 degree bend, for ground clearance (belly mount). 

This is what the Dynon SV-GPS-250 & 2020 looks like; If there is no argument against, I will have it on my "glair shield" (top of instrument panel) along side my Garmin Glo Blue Tooth antenna for my Ipad/ OzRunways. I think it will get excellent reception in this location, reduces the amount of wire that will need to be secured and will make use of an existing access hole, that I have cut into the glair shield,  just for this sort of situation.

Dynon SV-GPS-250/A GPS receiver Module

1 hour ago, rgmwa said:

I currently have the SV-GPS-250 but plan to upgrade to the SV-GPS-2020 when the ADSB rebate becomes available in a couple of months. 

If you can wait you might get it for half price.

I think I can wait a couple of months but will the 2020 actually give my SkyView ADSB ? In other words will I also have to upgrade to SkyView HDX?

I have the D1000, not HDX and it will work fine for ADSB. My understanding is the 2020 antenna will give you ADSB out assuming you have the Dynon 261 transponder (it's rated for SIL3 level), but you still need the SV-ADSB-472 unit (plus cable and antenna) to get ADSB in. 

Hi Skippy I didn't realise your craft was composite .   I also have a garmin one like the picture above ( but with plug fittings ) again hanging around.  I think that it is waas.  Let me know if you are interested.

Geoff

2 hours ago, Geoff_H said:

Hi Skippy I didn't realise your craft was composite .   I also have a garmin one like the picture above ( but with plug fittings ) again hanging around.  I think that it is waas.  Let me know if you are interested.

Geoff

I was quoting you Geoff - my Sonex is mostly alloy.

Where are all the electronic experts? Need some advice here.

• Geoff H (nice bloke) just wants to unclutter his collection (I also have lots of bits I need to get rid of.)
  • Is rgmwa on the money? If so what are the implications?

Skippy, just ring the Dynon dealer and ask will X gps receiver work with my transponder to provide (insert your requirement). I personally would buy the one which gives adsb in and out. With the government subsidy available why skimp.

In you application just say that you are buying this equipment so you don't collide with an Airbus while flying near Ballina, how can they refuse that.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Thruster88 said:

Skippy, just ring the Dynon dealer and ask will X gps receiver work with my transponder to provide (insert your requirement). I personally would buy the one which gives adsb in and out. With the government subsidy available why skimp.

In you application just say that you are buying this equipment so you don't collide with an Airbus while flying near Ballina, how can they refuse that.

Thruster - A non Forum adviser has suggested that the ADSB In capability will have no benefit for an aircraft that does not have the ability (equipment) to "see"  other ADSB aircraft ie  ADSB Out allows aircraft and ATC equipped with ADSB In to see the transmitting Out aircraft.

So I guess the question is (& I will ask Dynon) will the SV-GPS-2020  allow my Dynon SkyView to receive ADSB Out signals/see other aircraft ? If not the SV-GPS-250 will be the GPS receiver for me.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, Thruster88 said:

Sorry Thruster - my last correspondence (in reply to you appeared) and  could only delete the words not your nom de plume.

My thanks to all respondence - seems the SV-GPS-250 (the cheaper slightly less capable of the two offerings) will do all that I require from now and into the foreseeable future.

The SV-GPS-2020, with the correct module, will deliver ADSB Out & In. The Dynon Skyview will allow the pilot to see ADSB equipped aircraft in the vicinity - great for VFR operations but of limited value(7 much higher cost) for the relativly low/slow Day VFR only aircraft/pilot.

Geof_ H -I hope you find a good home for your surplus equipment - would you be inters ted in a slight bent /repairable aircraft??

• Informative 2

Hi Skip, well I was interested in augmenting my project withe a possible repair project, but a place to put the repair job plus a hostile minister of war has made me put my project on hold as she wants the house without any faults before I go on.  I expect to only have an RAA licence by then hence my changingind engines to a single.  I am not expecting to use many things including heaps of stuff for a quarter built cozy IV.  I have given away a significant amount of stuff that I will never use, if I don't the other half will trash it all if I die first, she thinks that will make me angry, how could it I will be dead lol.

Just a point that I expect that any GPS receiver will connect to your GPS if it uses the naval code ( and I think that most do).  However if you get a non dynan make sure that it is WAAS.

Geoff

I don't think we have waas in Australia, someone might be able to tell us if the proposed Australian SBAS(satellite based augmentation system)  is the same thing and will it be compatible with US waas equipment? 

20 minutes ago, Thruster88 said:

So your not getting the "in" bit? Don't you fly out of the western Sydney basin, one of the busiest bits of uncontrolled airspace in the country.?   

Yep! I do fly out of the (drowning) Sydney Basin and yes, knowing exactly where other (potentially conflicting) aircraft are, would be handy. Up to now I have found OzRnwys and ATC (my last & current aircraft both have Mode S transponders )very helpful in this regard. I also fly the hemispherical levels, even under 5000ft (now mandatory) in clear (eyeball) weather (mostly).

Dynon tell me that I can upgrade at any time - subject to providing the appropriate amount of dosh.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Thruster88 said:

I don't think we have waas in Australia, someone might be able to tell us if the proposed Australian SBAS(satellite based augmentation system)  is the same thing and will it be compatible with US waas equipment? 

The Dynan uses WAAS.  Speed of operation is critical and I think that we use waas devices for speed of operation and other technical reasons   I upgraded a GARMIN 430 to 430W for technical Operations reasons.  Hence I have bits left over

18 minutes ago, Geoff_H said:

The Dynan uses WAAS.  Speed of operation is critical and I think that we use waas devices for speed of operation and other technical reasons   I upgraded a GARMIN 430 to 430W for technical Operations reasons.  Hence I have bits left over

waas is wide area augmentation system, it is a GPS correction system to make it more accurate. The waas receiver in the aircraft receives the correction from a ground or satellite system. I have a base station differential real time correction system at the farm to provide 2cm yes two centimetres repeatable accurate auto steering in the tractor. The base talks to the tractor GPS 5 times per second correcting the Drift in GPS signal.

• Like 1

Thruster88

I allways thought it was your ' Expertise in plowing ' that made All those parallel furrows look SO neat !.  LoL

( l did hope to have a go on the Oaks tractor, when the strip needed a hair cut ).

spacesailor

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Thruster88 said:

waas is wide area augmentation system, it is a GPS correction system to make it more accurate. The waas receiver in the aircraft receives the correction from a ground or satellite system. I have a base station differential real time correction system at the farm to provide 2cm yes two centimetres repeatable accurate auto steering in the tractor. The base talks to the tractor GPS 5 times per second correcting the Drift in GPS signal.

When Garmin upgraded the GNS430 to WAAS they had to build a totally new processor board to make a GNS430W.  It is a lot more hardware than additional transmitters to cancell out the noise in the receiver, it is apparently a whole new performance of processing hardware.  I found this out after forming out $10k to have the processor board upgraded.

On 07/04/2022 at 5:23 PM, Thruster88 said:

Seems like the answer is yes and yes

https://eos-gnss.com/knowledge-base/articles/australia-new-zealand-sbas-update

• Informative 1