Binoculars?

On 14/12/2022 at 8:40 AM, jackc said:

OK, I need  a compact set for looking at airstrips and surrounding landscape.  One of my principal needs is to check Windsock direction too.

Not knowing anything about them, I call on the collective wisdom.

Would some kind of Telescope do the job? 

Hi Jack, I am using multi focal glasses now, my distance vision only needs minor correction and they are less distracting than reading glasses when looking in, out of the aircraft. 

Flying to farm type air strips can be a challenge, I don't think binoculars will help. Prior Preparation Prevents Poor Performance. I use six maps in NSW to have a good look before the mission. Can measure strip length and distance to some visible reference. Check terrain and power lines etc. Fly higher, it is easier to find a strip from 2500agl than 500agl.

Have been to this strip a few times, the shape of the paddock will not change and the land use will nearly always make it stand out. As you can see on the satellite image the strip is not that visible at times.

Screenshot_20221217-055634_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20221217-055448_Chrome.jpg

• Informative 2

Occasionally mentioned LARGE but I've always been advised to go for wrap around to eliminate U/V from the side. Darkening glasses makes the Cornea open wider (Like at Night time) and that allows more light from the sides. I personally wouldn't go for any particular colour because it would behave like a filter does if you've used one in your photography experience to highlight clouds etc. Nev.

It seems that wraparound sunglasses are especially popular with cyclists.

https://www.99bikes.com.au/apparel/eyewear/sunglasses

I've read that the main reason is to do with peripheral vision being so important to riders; you don't want glasses frames blocking anything from the sides.

But, as you say, Nev, there appear to be good reasons for anyone to use them:

https://www.eehealth.org/blog/2017/07/not-just-eye-candy/

Choose sunglasses that wrap around your face. Wraparound sunglasses offer additional protection from the sun’s rays. Some studies have even showed that when enough UV rays enter around standard sunglass frames, it reduces the protective benefit of the lenses. A frame that fits close to your eyes and contours to the shape of your face will prevent exposure to UV rays from all sides, even from behind.

Edited by Garfly
  • Agree 1

Agree - But one of the problems I have with close wrap-around sunglasses is their predisposition to fogging under the right conditions, which does not clear rapidly. High moisture environments and cool mornings seem to be the precipitators.

• Informative 1

These precautions are for more applicable to higher altitude flying, where a lot are now cruising at about FL40. A lot of pilots carried a tennis visor to help land in sinking sun situations.  Un pressurised you're limited to about FL 12 unless 02 available.  Nev

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 14/12/2022 at 9:08 PM, Jabiru7252 said:

Try to get 'peril sensitive sun glasses'. They are terrific. 

The Joo Janta 200 Super-Chromatic Peril Sensitive Sunglasses have been designed to help people develop a relaxed attitude to danger. They follow the principle "what you don't know can't hurt you" and turn completely dark and opaque at the first sign of danger. This prevents you from seeing anything that might alarm you. This does, however, mean that you see absolutely nothing, including where you're going.

They're not just great. They're not just amazing. They're amazingly amazing!

• Like 1