Question: Takeoff in a Sportstar

Hey guys, a quick question to those of you who fly sportys, I have noticed in a few videos when taking off, the pilot pushes the throttle to full power and then removes his hand from the throttle completely and seems he might be using the right hand on the control stick. Is there a mechanism that locks the throttle into position when it is on full power? I learnt in a savvy and my instructor drilled it into me that I should ALways have my hand on the throttle (to ensure it doesn't start slowly coming back out, or to be able to adjust it accordingly when needed) until reaching circuit height. Is this just an extra precaution or is the sporty engineered so that can be done without any problems? When I saw the video I just cringed and thought "what are you doing" but then again, I have ZERO experience in the sportstars and just wanted to find out. Excuse my ignorance !

Guest ozzie

How about when a roo hops out in front of you and you have to abort the takeoff run. waste a second or two getting your hand back onto the throttle.

..Is there a mechanism that locks the throttle into position when it is on full power?

Yes. The Sportstars have a vernier mechanism plus an adjustable friction lock. You push the centre button on the throttle in to disengage the vernier for large adjustments, such as take off, or wind the throttle in or out for smaller adjustments.

I'm learning in a Sportstar (just completed my first solo - woohoo!!!), and even though it has a friction lock, my instructor insists that I keep my hand on the throttle at all times when doing circuits. Like ozzie says, it takes a finite time to get your hand back there, esp. if you're bouncing around a bit.

Yes. The Sportstars have a vernier mechanism plus an adjustable friction lock. You push the centre button on the throttle in to disengage the vernier for large adjustments, such as take off, or wind the throttle in or out for smaller adjustments.

I want one.

You bring up a great topic here Patrick.

I was never 'told' to keep my hand on the throttle, I just always have anyway. Having learnt in a drifter, it's just natural to keep your hand on it most of the time - as there is nothing much really that hand has to do. It has saved my skin a few times also, so I just do it always now - when doing mustering or low flying/ taking off landing etc... that is where the hand is, as you are always changing the power setting anyway.

Jabiru take off, the hand is on it - a good place to rest the hand anyway - saved my skin once too.

I guess it's a personal thing, not a do or die situation really, as I bet you'll be pretty quick off the mark if you need to be.

I've certainly gained from it in my short experience in a couple of instances.

Did my time in a Sporty , yes to friction nut mechanism , No to removing hand

from the Noise !

With Elevator and Aileron trim on the stick no need to , only if changing radio frequencies

So I was taught anyway ! If you EVER did , the instructor had great pleasure in pulling

the noise out on you to practice an engine failure on take off or wherever in the circuit you were .

Great Aircraft !

Make sense when your low. So the question "In a sportstar, why is there a need to keep a hand on the throttle during takeoff". The reason is to make sure that you don't loose power while your low and slow.

In the sporty the throttle has these notches, like a thread. When you apply full throttle, an let go of the button the throttle can be sitting on top of a notch which means during takeoff the throttle can pop-in to a lower notch causing a small loss of power. A small loss of power during the ground run or when low can be rather serious! I have only had this happen once, maybe twice.

Generally, I keep my hand on the throttle atleast until I have completed my crosswind turn (maybe 600, 700 feet). If I am doing circuits then I leave it on until I have reached circuit height. (whats the point of taking the hand away for such a short period, I guess).

My explanation isn't the only reason I am sure but it is particular to the sportstars kind of throttle.

Steven.

Regardless of type, your hand should be on the throttle during takeoff. There are a few reasons which Ozzie and others have covered.

Perhaps the pilot in the video you watched doesn't like flying with his left hand?..

All my students learn very quickly, if they take their hand off the throttle during takeoff I chop the power. hehe, seems to work well.

Right from the start, my instructor taught me to keep my hand on the throttle in the circuit.

If I didn't, he'd pull the throttle on me, which got my immediate attention!

I was never taught to have the hand on the throttle at all times, a 1000 feet seemed to be enough for my instructors. Far too tiring. Do some of you guys really never let go? If not when and why?

Guest ozzie

The only time i was taught to take my hand off the power levers was in the Twin Otter in a single pilot op. you rotated the aircraft with both hands and as soon as you were off you were back onto them. in a two pilot op you still rotated with both hands but the other pilot 'guarded' the power levers.

In the circuit at all times, have your hand on the throttle. When you're out, about and have nothing to do with your spare hand, chuck it on the throttle. That's how I was taught.

-Andrew

In the circuit at all times, have your hand on the throttle. When you're out, about and have nothing to do with your spare hand, chuck it on the throttle. That's how I was taught. -Andrew

Interesting. I don't agree with it (not saying it is wrong, I just don't agree :-)). Besides uncomfortable and tiring I don't like the idea that I might turn or move my body and accidently change the throttle setting which I think is a bit more likely than something happening where the extra half a second is going to cost me. Thats why I am interested in the "why" of it. I am sure there is stuff I don't know. :-)

Ever had a prop spit a blade?

Thats one good reason. But on takeoff, I reckon if the music stops and your hand is on the throttle, you would be much more likely to close it..Its all pretty academic though..

<winks at the locksmith>

Guest ozzie

doing some hours in a c150 with curtis aviation out of camden years ago i was told if your hand is not on the throttle rest it on your knee which is close to the throttle anyway in most aircraft.

this just seems to me more inconsistencies with the RAus training sylibus.

What happens when you do your bi an, with a different intructor and you do the opposite of what he teaches. FAIL?

Ozzie: MY first three schools were GA schools and I was taught to always keep hand on throttle there. This isn't a sylabus issue so much as an individual instructor thing.

IN saying that I haven't done navs in either type yet (GA or ra). Guess your not going to keep it there the whole time on a long flight.

Guest ozzie

sorry bit early in the morn should have included 'once out of the circuit and cruise power selected' . my mistake.

Hand on throttle

Right from my GA days 35 years ago, hand on throttle if in the circuit. Then when in cruise, make yourself comfortable, but the right hand was never far from the quadrant. Just in case. Thats why I fitted the centre stick mod to my Skyranger, so I could fit a centre throttle, and fly left handed. Could have just sat in the right hand seat, but it just didn't feel right.

Cheers,

Ding.

FWIW, this is what I do:

In the circuit, I have my hand on the throttle all the time (except when moving flaps, carby heat and such).

When out in the training area, once established in the intial departure climb (say 2000ft+) I take my hand off the throttle and rest it on my leg (not exactly far away) and when in the training area have my hand on either the throttle or my leg depending on what I'm doing (i.e. in cruise, hand not on throttle, doing things, hand on throttle). Unfortunately for me, my arm isn't long enough to rest my elbow on the window and have my hand on the throttle, otherwise I'd do that (although if anyone has a way for short people to manage that, I'm all ears).

I'm not up to navs yet but I imagine I'd be doing the same as in the training area.