Temora airpark?

Tomo

I'm looking at buying a hanger block at Temora airpark.

What's your impressions?

Plan is just to hold it, probably build a hanger on it, and maybe lease it out. Probably won't live there myself anytime soon, but do you think there will be people interested down the track for a hanger lease, or whatever?

What is Temora like in the way of growing? I certainly know it's got a lot bigger than when I first visited 5-6yrs ago.

Anyone know what the general atmosphere is like at the airpark? Seemed pretty nice from Natfly, is it like that all the time?

And while I'm at it - who can you recommend to build/purchase a hanger off in that part of the world? Obviously has to be cyclone proof!!

Thanks.

Best place to find out about a town is go and live in the caravan park for a few weeks - the regulars are usually the people looked down on by the town, so they've usually got the dirt if there is any; and friendly towns also show up by the praise given to the locals.

Population growth$- I think a litter of pups last week.

Guest ozzie

I had a ball with the locals when i spent a couple of months there some time ago.

Typical country town you have to make your own entertainment but that is changing as the town and area grows. As an aviator you will spend most of your time on the airport anyway. Even tho the weather is generally good when it rains it pours and the area is generally flat did you notice how big the guttters in the streets are.

Tomo,

I moved to Temora with my family in January this year. We made the move from Cairns in FNQ and we love the atmosphere of Temora. I can only comment on our impressions but we have been made to feel very welcome. I haven't spent enough time out at the airfield, but there are many people in town who have a connection to it. Certainly the whole town as a rule supports the airfield and recognize the importance of this industry to the local economy. Other than that, I would say Temora punches above it weight in a number of areas. There are the V8 jetboats, a ripper rural museum and lots of other events or organisations that encourage people to get involved.

I won't comment on the financial wisdom of buying a block or putting a hanger up, but the above are my early impressions of a great country town, one I hope to be in for some time to come.

Cheers, Mathew

• Like 1

Thanks a lot guys. Certainly very helpful to hear other opinions.

Yes, Evans Head, and Airlie Beach, there is also Gatton Airpark etc... but the prices are stupendous! Temora is at this stage half reasonable. And I guess coming from a rural background the place takes my fancy a little.

We'll see what happens.

Hi Tomo

We are in the process of purchasing a Hangar House Block @ Temora Airpark. With the full intention of being based there.

The positives we saw, centraly located to Wagga,Tumut,Griffith,Young,Cowra,Cootamundra,Goulborn etc(all have airports) Also relatively close to Sydney,Dubbo,Canberra And thats all drive time. When you fly! You know.

Also I do a fair bit of my work in Nth NSW, some also in SA, with whatever will happen in the future.

As you say very good value with services on the blocks, elecricity,water,sewage,telephone and town gas all at the front of your block. And of course there is a sealed taxiway @ z back door and a sealed roadway at the front door.Negatives will need to take the kids to Wagga for gymnastic and swimmsing lessons, however that is not for ever! and it is only 85kms away!

The local council is the place to start your enquiries, google airparktemora we are block 75. can supply # and name if you wish, pm me. if you can't find it when you search it!

The other being good weather relative to the rest of the eastern seaboard, just on the edge of the Great Divide, before it gets seriously flat.

Happy Hunting

• More 1

Tomo, I've put in a written expression for Evans Head with a plan to retire there- Peter Lynch was quoted that blocks would be around $250K! Then said in another statement it would not be for the rich and famous!! Add 250+ for a house and 65 for a hangar or architect combo and it'll owe close to $600k

Temora's a long way from home for you young man- but $$ wise a much better proposition. Few go wrong with real estate, but buying for your passion you need to be extra careful.

I got real close to buying a chalet at Watts but the sub leasing from the water board is a real hassle and you can only live there temporarily. Ok if you work O/S or are itinerint.

David,

I am a pastor in the Lutheran Church and the congregation in Temora called me to serve them there. Cairns is a beautiful place but I'm enjoying Temora as a community. And that is what stands behind my original answer to Tomo's question. As a town and community it is a great place to live. It has all the amenities we could want for as a family, without the hassles of city living.

Your concern regarding the humidity is well founded. A lot of people cope; many go from one air-conditioned building, to their air-conditioned car, to their air-conditioned workplace, then back again. A few people like the humidity and all power to them. My advice to anyone thinking about moving to Cairns would be to visit during the wet season to experience what this is really like. I didn't like the humidity, but the paradox is that this is the time of the year that is most exciting in FNQ. Mind you, lows of high teens, low twenties is pretty good during June/July as well! 024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Cheers,

Mathew

• Like 1

Folks,

Don't forget Narromine, great place to fly, great people, great Aero Club, and the blocks are reasonably priced, and the whole development is somewhat more upmarket, compared to Temora.

Scheduled airline services 30 miles away, and pax. rail from Dubbo.

Evans Head is mired in all sorts of problems, the local Shire Council is very anti aviation, but those fighting the aerodrome's corner are very persistent people.

Regards,

I'm looking at buying a hanger block at Temora airpark.

Tomo

What's your goal here? Get that sorted first. Are you doing it as an investment or for pleasure? If you say both, then they will both suffer which is OK as long as its understood and factored in. Once you get that straight in your head do some research and analysis. Compare it to returns you can acheive with alternate uses of the money. If you are not familiar with this get somebody who is to provide some advice. This will be money well spent.

I dont know your personal circumstances but remember that most young blokes need $ like oxygen especially if they are feeding a family or running a business so an asset that is not yielding well and/or not easily liquidated can be a problem.

Not suggesting that this is the case with the airpark. I fly out of Temora but know nothing about the airpark. For all I know it may be a great investment. Just make an informed decision.

Good luck. Be interested to know what you decide.

Scott

Guest check-in

You would not want to follow my investment advice, as most of mine have not done well. But what I have learned is that capital gain with real estate is all about being close to the coast. Not necessarily ON the coast, but if it's not within an hour's drive, forget it. There are exceptions I suppose, like ski lodges or locations such as Lake Tinaroo. Compare almost anything near the coast with Watts Bridge and Gatton Airparks which initially seemed to do well but have stagnated somewhat.

A development mob in W.A. are talking up airparks at several near-coastal locations on existing airports such as Margaret River and Jurien Bay. Another important aspect with an airpark location is probably to be within a few hours' drive of where employment is, because it is unrealistic for most of us to fly our planes to and from a capital city airport. For those of us that have to prop up our flying habit with work of some sort, that is an issue. Prices of these W.A. proposals will be a bit out of my league, but for someone with the cash maybe worth a look.

Folks,

The last post has it in one. People who own and fly aircraft of any kind are very small in number. The proportion of that number, who want to live on an airpark is what percentage of that very small number.

Its a lifestyle choice, not a real estate play for capital gain.

Once you accept that "money" is not the driving force of the move, unless it's the aviation equivalent of a sea/tree changer, I would think it makes a rational decision easier.

Regards,

• 6 years later...

Talk about raising the dead, but rather than double up threads, I'll use this one.

A couple of years ago I was suffering AIDS - no, not that one - and used a small inheritance to buy a block at Temora and build a hangar on it, with the intention of living there and commuting to Warnervale/Somersby to see the kids. Only problem is, the KRviatrix and I reconciled our differences and things have been going great, but she is not a fan of Temora as a town - dunno why, something about it not having a Myer or that a Target Country does not count as a department store...053_no.gif.1b075e917db98e3e6efb5417cfec8882.gif So I can't see us moving down there anytime in the next decade.

That being said, I'm looking at putting the block on the market sometime in the near future and was wondering if there is still any interest in pilots moving down there, or would I be better to hang onto it. It is #37 Tigermoth Ave, but it shows up as #33 in Google Maps for some reason. The hangar is 15x15x6m, concrete floor, with a 10x4 door opening facing the taxiway. The block is the usual 1250m2, being 50m deep and 25m wide. Power, Gas, Water are all available as you'd expect.

Given the weather - and that I broke my right arm & leg after being hit by a kid on his motorbike so haven't flown in 8 weeks - I haven't been able to get down there to get new photos since it's completed, but if there's a consensus that it might sell, I'll look at options to do that & chuck it on Ian's classifieds section, but I wanted to see what the feeling was first.

I got real close to buying a chalet at Watts but the sub leasing from the water board is a real hassle and you can only live there temporarily. Ok if you work O/S or are itinerint.

Watts Bridge Association bought the land off the water board last year so the sub leasing and living there is now not a problem. Sales have increased to a point where I don't think there are any chalet blocks left for sale.!!

Bob

KRviator

Remember selling anything is easy if you follow the three Ps

Position

Presentation

Price

Seems you have mentioned at least two of these there is only one to go and you may move it, the best way to find out if there is an interest is to put it on the market, after all no one in there right mind will offer you more than it is worth unless of course you had a line up of people wanting to buy.

Cheers ✈️

Cheers, Kununurra, you're right. I didn't want to include the price in post as I didn't want to be seen to be putting up a classifieds-type ad in the general forums. All I am after is to break even to be able to put the $$ to a better use, but it would be in the region of $195,000. Or $305,000 with a free RV-9A thrown in! I need 4 seats now...ranting.gif.5470ae857812d977cdbca23fadaf1614.gif

• Like 1

As a aside what is the cost of building a nice hangar- nothing flash but with mezzainine level and concrete floor? I assume country prices not rip city ones.

And can you make accomodation and live in the hangar or must it be a separate house?

Big questions for cheapskate like me.

Thanks in advance

You can't live in the hangar, unfortunately. There was talk of allowing it for short-term events for your mates, provided you had a dunny, etc, but I'm not sure if that came to fruition.

A hangar would set you back around $65,000 for one similar to mine, with the 6m height allowing you to DIY your own mezzanine to suit your specific needs, but that does not include the big door, but does include 2 personal & 1 roller door for your car. I've lost the quote for the slab, but IIRC, it was around $21,000, including earthworks. If you budgeted $100,000, you would have a couple thousand change, when all is said and done.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

So a bit of a followup, I have made the decision to sell the block. Initially I've listed it here in Ian's classifieds, before I get too excited with real estate agents and the like. $190,000 and it's yours. Or $310K with my RV-9 thrown in!