Cri Cris in Australia

Neil_S

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From what Ive mbeen able to work out, Wing loading would be the main hurdle to overcome. If the wing was made longer and or wider I'm sure this could be rectified.

From what I've read, the wings were made this size mainly because the designer could make them out of a standard size sheet of aluminium at the time.

A wing area of 5.67sqm will give a loading of 29.98kg/sqm, I think. This would mean each wing half would need to be 2.835m x 1m including flaps. I think the given sizes are 2.45m x .630m + flaps.

I guess the larger wing size would lower top speed but should also lower stall speed, which is currently 72km or 45 mph which is about 38/39 knots, but I don't think there is any ruling on stall speed for 95.10 aircraft that I have been able to find.

I may be totally wrong in my maths and assumptions and if I am please forgive me, but if I am right it would seem that the "Cri-Cri"could be a possible contender in the 95.10 class of ultralights.

Food for thought anyway.

Hi Peter

I'm on holidays. But in a word yes as long as the MTOW is 300Kg or less.

Regards

Steve

Sent from my iPhone

On 28/09/2010, at 1:53 PM, Peter Austin <[email protected]> wrote:

Hello Steve, A few of us have been discussing the possibility of building and flying the Cri-Cri under the 95.10 class of aircraft.

If I make the wing larger to give the required wing loading would I be able to build and fly it under this class?

Cheers...................Peter Austin Toowoomba, Qld. 07 46962341

This was the emails sent and recieved today concerning the Cri-Cri.

• 1 month later...
here is the modified cri-cri. I have taken the liberty of going for the twin jet engines instead of the piston engines. I think the wings should be large enough now.

I seen a pic a few years ago of a cri-cri with two turbines. Was actually the first cri-cri I seen.

The aircraft certainly inspires the imagination.

• 2 years later...

Sorry about bringing up an old thread but I thought this was as good place as any to ask about the Cri-Cri. Did anyone look any further into building one of these to 95:10 regs? Seems like the wing loading would be the main problem but I'm unsure what effect increasing the size of the wings would have on the rest of the aircraft, especially with the added weight. This little plane has caught my attention and I would love to build one.

Saw something similar flying at Mangalore way back in about 1990. Not sure if its the same a/c type? However "its the second smallest aircraft I have ever seen" (as Maxwell Smart would say:laugh: ) Absolutely miniscule! Got a photo somewhere, if I can find it ill scan and u/load.

• Winner 1

The Cri Cri has always been a must have/really want homebuild for me but alas, at 95 Kgs, and 6.4 I will never fit. The maximum pilot weight in the POH is 72 Kgs anyway... So, I`m doing the next best thing. Building a LARGE RC version of it. There is 2 electric 1:1 scale Cri Cri so I will be building mine as a scaled down 38% Model.

Here is a video of the full size Electric Cri Cri

Mine will be powered by electric brushless out runners on 12 cell Lipos ! Here is a picture of my wife holding the canopy of my RC version. Yep.. its BIG ( for a small plane )

1443271984_photo(8).JPG.3b9b5761ce6c546387bcf49520bbd57f.JPG

There's plans for them all over the net.

Yes there is & I have a copy of all the plans etc but I though someone might have already looked into the effects of modifying it to comply with 95:10. I'm still deciding if I would build it to be RA or GA though. I'm working towards a CPL atm so it might just be easier to build it to the original plans & register it GA.

me but alas, at 95 Kgs, and 6.4

Sir.

& register it GA.

I'm sure you could fit at least 3 paying passengers in with medium suitcases or maybe just strip it put and use it for freight work?

• 1 year later...

be careful with the plans, a certain designer from the US borrowed the plans to make a kit in the US, he modified the original design, resulting in a fatal flaw, of course, he washed his hands of the design, and Micheal Colomban, the original french designer was bankrupted clearing his name. if you build from plans, please get hold of copy of the original plans from the designer himself.