Cri Cris in Australia

Neil_S

Hi Folks,

I was over in the UK a few weeks ago seeing my folks and I went with my brother, who is into classic cars, to the Henstridge Fly-In and Classic Car show. It was a great event, with a load of wonderful planes and cars, including 4 Jabirus (one of which had the rego G-OZZI), some Aeroncas, Kitfox, Tiger Moths, etc.

But most interesting was a brilliant little plane called a Cri Cri. It has 2 x 18hp engines (but no requirement for a dual rating), and did some amazing aerobatics (it is rated +9 to -4.5G!)

I spoke to the owner/pilot and he reckoned there were half a dozen in Australia. I have certainly never seen one here, but wondered if any of you guys had.

I have attached some pictures of it (plus one of my brother's Aston Martin DB2/4 for those of you who appreciate classic cars.....)

Cheers

Neil

aston1.jpg.fa134cff3f2fca6a07e3ec49b4d3ef68.jpg

cri1.jpg.315804307fc5648c0879eccce34b1feb.jpg

cri2.jpg.a679cee36bbdc9b1870c9ff668a60bdd.jpg

cri7.jpg.b29b355bdc1bc8e2ef4a296e6cab8e25.jpg

cri8.jpg.ba90546d63794e9dc1302d14900e4343.jpg

• Like 1

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can't imagine the conversion process - not much room for the instructor!

You learn as you go! :big_grin:

Flew a 95:10 aircraft the other day, single seat, Kawasaki engine, tail drager... picked it up pretty quick. For some reason you always have a fairly large audience on your first landing though, fortunately for me I did a lovely three pointer! 024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Oh and by the way, If I ever get my hands on one.... I'll be lining up for a drive! 021_nod.gif.30c66a33e1ed960b5b5d3fc7b345b58d.gif

You learn as you go! :big_grin:

Flew a 95:10 aircraft the other day, single seat, Kawasaki engine, tail drager... picked it up pretty quick. For some reason you always have a fairly large audience on your first landing though, fortunately for me I did a lovely three pointer! 024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Did it have a name?

Did it have a name?

Yep, "Skyrider" Though a heavily modified version, this has thick wing (two surfaces, not like the original with single surface). Outboard ailerons, and slightly modified tail boom, and tail I believe.

Thinking of buying it actually, hence the reason I was flying it.

=====

On the subject of the Cri Cri (gee I want one badly now that I've been doing a bit of research!) Here is a run down on what they are like from one guy.

So just what is the Cricri like to fly? I am a 650 hr PPL (private pilots licence) pilot with only 6 or 7 aircraft types in my log. From the first flight the aircraft has been quite stable and predictable in handling. I am accustomed to the sensitive pitch - which is common to many homebuilts - but the rapidity of roll is just stunning - and effortless.Here are some basic performance parameters from the early hours of flying CRI

-climb out at 70 kts at 1300 ft/ min

- max speed of 115 kts

- comfortable cruise of 90 - 100 kts

- fuel consumption 8 - 15 litres/hr- to be refined.

- single engine climb at 2500ft, 70 kts is 150 ft/min.

- stalls at book numbers - 39 kts with flap, 49 kts without.

- noise level - very high - like a sawmill

- fun - unbeatable

Stall is gentle but no warning - around 49 kts without flaps. to Maintaining 49 kts gives a high rate of descent (600 ft/min) without the nose dropping. Pulling back further produces a typical stall - straight ahead - no surprises. This is reassuring verification of effective washout (difference in incidence between wing roots and wing tips), where the wingtips continue to maintain lift after the wing roots have stalled.

Little rudder is needed for balanced medium turns. The stick is sensitive so don't bump it inadvertantly with your knee while taking a photo! Orientation changes very rapidly indeed. Easy to trim for hands off flying (but only lasts a few seconds).

Hehe, couldn't help myself, and just bought some blueprints I found on the web.... Lets see if they turn up now, might be a project to fiddle around with when I get bored. i_dunno

Engine availability.

There would be similar engines for go- carts by Yamaha, Comet, etc with the power required. The cri-cri that I had a good look at had a lot of fatigue cracks at the bases of the engine pylons.( not surprising) with a single cylinder engine on the other end. These planes have too high a stall speed and wing loading to fit any category in RAAus.and multi engine is only available at very low AUW under our rules. I can understand it having a lot of appeal and it is supposed to be able to fly on one engine. Nev

Hehe, couldn't help myself, and just bought some blueprints I found on the web.... Lets see if they turn up now, might be a project to fiddle around with when I get bored. i_dunno

you can still buy the genuine plans, and ICAO regognised serial number from the original Cri Cri designer, Micheal Colomban in france, i dont have his details with me, but all you need to do is send him a letter requesting plans and serial number and about $200Euro.

Otherwise it is the experimental category outside of RAA and you need a GA license.

GA isn't much of an issue here either (well soon anyway!)

GA would be better anyway, that way you can get the dust from the floor from time to time.

Guest disperse
and multi engine is only available at very low AUW under our rules.

I didn't know we could have them at all.

What are the basics for having multi engine ??

Regards Troy

Guest basscheffers
What are the basics for having multi engine ??

You need to realise that the single-engine failure checklist for the Cri-Cri simply says: shut down the other engine.

With no feathering props, you can't fly it on one engine.

So I am not surprised the poms don't require a multi-rating to fly it.

With no feathering props, you can't fly it on one engine.

Apparently you can, though the performance is pretty sad, climb rate on one engine is 250fpm from memory.

• Informative 1