What did you sing on first solo?

Guest burbles1

Guest burbles1

I was reminiscing about my very first solo and wondered what others sang when they did theirs. Mine was in a C150 at Manjimup, WA and while I was on upwind I got to singing "Polyester Bride" by Liz Phair - it was on the radio then (1998) - because of the line:

"Do you want to flap your wings and fly away from here?"

Rather poignant, I thought.

I don't remember singing anything. I did talk to myself a bit though:

On take off: "Here we go!" (Maybe a royal "we" or maybe "me and the plane" :-))

On upwind: "I have done it now!" (commited myself...)

On final: "Ok, I know what what to do, relax and just do it!"

I didn't sing either...well I don't think you could call it singing, as soon as the Gazelle left the ground it just climbed like I had never experienced it do so I just kept saying...s***, s***, s***, s*** all the time until I started my down wind checks and it all came rushing back to me and I settled down in an instant. I remember saying to myself then that I am the only one who can get this plane down :big_grin:

Yes, like most of the others I was too busy thinking S**T - I'm above circuit height already! Nose down, nose down....bloody hell, the right seat is empty!

The singing didn't start until a number of circuits later...:big_grin:

Cheers

Neil

i sang row row row your boat, a little bit of tradition apparently. then the s***s started as i realised no one told the tug pilot i was first solo and we were heading for 2000ft AGL where the lift was had to get him on the radio to take me back closer to the strip.

On upwind/crosswind I got through a rousing first verse of 'Those Magnificent Men in their Flying Machines'.

On downwind I chatted to the plane - "We're a bit too high here, let's go down a bit ok?"

On base and final I talked to myself, talked to the plane, swore and cracked up laughing (nervous laughter I'm guessing) when I touched down on what I felt was a less than spectacular landing (I'm fairly certain I landed on one wheel)

It was a blast :big_grin:

I seem to recall singing, but I couldn't tell you what it was. All I remember was that it was the first time I could sing in a plane without the CFI looking at me very strangely... Mind you, I think that I did a fair bit more talking to myself than singing. I still talk to myself all the time when I'm flying solo - a blokes gotta have some company. :)

Didn't sing (didn't want to scare myself 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif) But I remember laughing, possibly from relief that I didn't run off the runway on take off (tail drager) :ah_oh: and surprise that this thing really does like climbing without someone in the back! :thumb_up:

It was a great day.

You can't get me to stop talking now though, you get a running commentary if you're with me. (blame it on being related to a tourist company), and I often talk to myself if on my own... well why not? 025_blush.gif.9304aaf8465a2b6ab5171f41c5565775.gif

Bris center is quite entertaining too! ;)

Guest burbles1
"Arrgh, I'm too high! Arrgh, I'm too low! Arrgh, I'm too high! Arrgh, I'm too low!..."

I'm sure we could put a beat behind that and turn it into a song.006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

Oh dear, am I missing out? I don't sing, so I certainly wouldn't have on my first solo... but worse than that, I seem to be the only person who can't remember their first solo! Seems everyone but me has some great tale to tell about the most important moment in their flying career. And before anyone suggests that it was so long ago I wouldn't remember.... it was only about 3 years back, I think, or maybe it was 2, or 4?

I don't know.

Redair.

Don't worry Red, mine wasn't the awe inspiring flight that I'd imagined it to be either. I just did what I was taught to do and landed safely. Job done. Can still remember it though.

Same here to be honest. I view it with happy nostalgia but it wasn't quite the BIGGEST FLYING MOMENT EVER that I kinda expected it to be.

I'll let you into a secret. Did a couple of circuits with my instructor then pulled off the runway for him to get out. Did a complete shut down. He turned the plane around and then I was off. After a couple of minutes I was wondering where all the traffic had gone. Then realized I'd forgotten to turn the radio back on. Duh. Lucky I kept my eyes open so didn't hinder anyone else in circuit.

I'll never make that mistake again.

Dreams?

I'd love to be able to say it was Dreams by Van Halen.... but i was too busy talking my way through everything, with some swearing, and a woohoo thrown in there for good measure!!:big_grin:

If you don't know the clip, it's probably worth watching.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yzOgQpDsD8]YouTube - Van Halen - Dreams [blue Angels