You know you're obsessed when...

...it actually crosses your mind to delay your overseas holiday so you can get your PPL before going.

For the past month I've been navving like crazy in an attempt to get my PPL before going overseas on holiday for 2 months. Unfortunately it seems I'm going to be pipped at the post (088_censored.gif.2b71e8da9d295ba8f94b998d0f2420b4.gif weather) - I'm at the standard, but need to do one more solo nav and a pre-licence check and the test, and I'm leaving on the 1st. So, it looks extremely unlikely I'm going to make it.

It doesn't really matter if I don't make it (although I did have vague plans to fly over there but it seems that it might be impossible to fly over there in winter without an IFR rating anyway!), but I had set the goal so I'm disappointed I'm so close but not going to make it. It seems that I'd be better off not setting goals when it comes to flying, I never make any of them. On the other hand, maybe all my luck for this goal was used up when the eagle decided to try and shoot me down 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

(Yes, I'm having a whinge, but I had to whinge to somebody or I'd scream)

Don't stress out too much Darky. You'll get there soon enough. Even if you finish everything, you're still at the mercy of the bureacracy. After I had done all my navs and the PPL exam, I still had to wait three weeks to get a booking with the testing officer, but you might be luckier. The only downside of going on holiday, is that you'll need to do a bit more practice when you get back. It's amazing how fast you can forget stuff when your mind is on other things.

rgmwa

Can understand your frustration Darky!

For me, even worse - I've spent so much time O/S that it's been over two months since I've even seen a lighty, let alone flown one!

I've been tempted to try a TIF in the UK several times, but other things have taken precedence - surely you could have a fly, even if it is with an instructor?

Cheers

I've been tempted to try a TIF in the UK several times, but other things have taken precedence - surely you could have a fly, even if it is with an instructor?

Yes, I've decided that would be a better route. Even if I did have the PPL in time, I'd probably just get over there and find I need an IFR rating to be able to fly! 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif I'm planning on organising a TIF and telling them I'm at PPL standard so want to do more than the usual TIF/joyflight stuff.

All That Stuff

I don't think you would have to do any of that. Take your logbook along and I am sure some Instructor will be prepared to do a dual session with you. It is all air experience and can be logged. Call it familiarisation or whatever. You should be able to do the stickwork as most instructors get plenty of flying, (even if they are often watching it).

I was often told that the advantage of visiting an English speaking country is that you can get ripped off in your OWN language. Good Luck. Nev

Guest davidh10
D'u reckon I could get away with just taking my SPL? Not sure if I want to cart my logbook around the UK, bit afraid of losing it (or the airline losing it for me)...

Do you pack your Passport in your stowed luggage! I thought not. Just carry your logbook with you along with your important papers and such.

As has been suggested by others, you can photocopy the log book to keep a record at home, just in case the unthinkable happens.

P.S. Every time I fly now I see Eagles! They're everywhere! Good thermal-ling weather I guess:big_grin:

Have a nice trip.

Darky.

You have done well to get as far as you have in so little time. You may find that the weather in the UK is better than expected. Soetimes you can get a seriously clear, blue sky in December or Jan. November and Feb seem to be the bad months from my recollection. I lived there 25 years and worked outside all that time. Enjoy it.

Take your logbook. You'll have some good stuff to add to it while you are there - that's what a logbook is for.

Copy the "interesting" pages, especially the last one. The school also has a record of all your flying so easy to retrieve the situation if the original is lost. (Normally, I'd suggest to get a GA CFI to sign it certified as a true copy if it mattered to anyone.)

The SPL is not a lot of use at all overseas.

Fair point DJ. I have done all my training in the one place (except for a couple of flights interstate), so, so far at least, it's easy to rebuild my logbook if I lose it.

Righto, must remember to pop down to the field and pinch my logbook before I leave.

(Normally, I'd suggest to get a GA CFI to sign it certified as a true copy if it mattered to anyone.)

Normally, but not this time?

P.S. Every time I fly now I see Eagles! They're everywhere!

As long as you're only seeing them! 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

If your going to the US, you might be able to finish your PPL over there..

Not the US; UK you might be OK though. The USA requires a special visa before entry if you want to do any flight training. It's fairly involved & you need to nominate a flight school which also needs to have federal approval to teach aliens (as they call us). I was thinking of doing GA training in Florida as it is much cheaper than here but the visa part is a bit involved.