hangar etiquette

frankmcm

Our hangar is tightly packed. We have 3 microlights in the back half, and an enormous 4 seater Piper in front. Before flying, we have to push the Piper out of the hangar, which is not too difficult so long as the tyres are inflated..

I spent 30minutes today inflating the Pipers front tyre. For the past month it has a slow leak, and invariably is flat just when I need to go flying. I turned up one morning without a pump, and was unable to get my plane out.

It belongs to a group of 10 guys, none of whom seem able or prepared to fix the slow puncture. I think they actually pump it up before flying, on the understanding that it will still have some pressure when landing time comes around. So far they seem to have got away with it.

I havent done anything very direct to date, in the hope that the guys would just get it fixed. However my patience is wearing thin. Any suggestions.

Guest Escadrille

Push the Piper to the back, Release the remaining air in the nose tyre with a sign on it in "Fix before next flight", Put your microlights at the front...

mix of large and Small.

Not a good situation . The best set-up is where ALL aircraft can be removed without moving others. HARD to achieve. Satisfactory hangarage is a very hard thing to achieve and "Hangar Rash" is dangerous. IF the Piper goes up the back it leaves a threat to all the trikes when it goes past or they are moved outside, particularly if there is a bit of wind about. Nev

Guest davidh10

It is difficult and can take time to resolve, depending on the personalities concerned.

My trike is hangared with a variable number of other aircraft. Usullay two 3-axis (one RAA and one heavier GA) and around six trikes. How far back in the hangar your aircraft end up depends upon how often you fly. All of the aircraft have individual owners.

The situation of ownership by a group is problematic, as there may be a poor attitude in terms of it's someone else's problem.

We had a similar situation, but it was a trike that continually had a flat tyre. I had to pump it up a couple of times myself to be able to get my trike out. The problem was resolved by having the owner of the hangar talk with the person concerned and explain that it was not fair to other hangar users. I would not recommend letting his tyre down after moving it... Doing so sets a dangerous precedent in terms of irresponsible behaviour to another person's aircraft. Certainly leave a notice on it to say that you had to pump it up and that it needs repair, but talking with the owner(s) is more likely to be effective.

Facthunter's point is well made. There is always a risk when aircraft have to be manoeuvred around one another to get them in and out of the hangar. The owners of larger aircraft may not realise how susceptible trikes and lighter 3-axis aircraft are to wind. Even when everyone is very careful, accidents can happen.

I had a close call with mine recently when I had to get three other trikes out to get mine out. I was just pulling the last of the other aircraft back into position in the hangar and a dust devil came down the taxiway... We heard the hangard doors rattle and then my aircraft started to move down the taxiway. The CFI was closer to the door, and but for his quick sprint to grab the trike, it may well have rolled over. It did snap the bungee control lock and suffer a graze on one wing tip protector. Very fortunately, no real damage, but it could have easily been quite expensive. There was no warning and no wind level that would normally signal that you need a person to monitor or hold each aircraft.

Guest Maj Millard

Simple solution really, have the hangar owner/operator (he who gets the rents) post a sign stating that it is the responsibility of all aircraft operators to maintain their aircraft in moveable condition at all times.

It is dangerous for them to pump the tire up before flight...they will get caught with that.

To remove the nose wheel is not a big deal, and a new tube is not expensive, especially if it is shared between several operators.

They are being slack, and disrespectfull to other hangar users, get on their case big time......................................maj...024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Started the "augmented diplomacy" route today.

I might park it outside if that doesnt work.

The thought of dust devils at my home strip makes me smile. We have an inch of snow here, and I'm planning to screen off the oil cooler to keep the temperature gauge happy.

Guest Walter Buschor

This is an easy one. If no-one fixes the puncture may I suggest you "puncture " it just a little more - I mean to the point where it cannot be inflated and stay inflated. Bet you my last dollar they will fix it then and the problem goes away.!

then - you go flying

Walter

Nev, yes very good/funny.

And I totally agree with Walter very much.

In fact I was nearly going to suggest that too, but Walter beat me to it.

They don't fix the problem because it suits them. They can pump it up, go flying and put it away before the tyre goes flat.

To make them fix it, make it go flat quicker. Then they will have to do something about it.

If that means they simply leave it in the hanger, move it to the back.

It has to be resolved with talking and reasoning with the Piper owner or hanger owner. I can see the frustration but to tamper with another persons aircraft to get your point through is not on. I'm sure it can be sorted out.

Tampering with a aircraft in anyway can get you in deep poopoo these days. CASA just introduced some new rules on this recently. I assume that similar rules apply where you are. Better to get the operator of the Piper and have a word with him, If he does not want to play ball have him removed from the hanger.

I would just keep on phoning a member (same one all the time) of the group to come out and move the offending aircraft everytime you want to fly...or worse phone them after you have moved the aircraft outside and tell them you can't move it by yourself since it has a flat tyre...they will soon fix it...

and careful if you intend to tamper with the aircraft....federal JAILABLE offence if proven

If i had to move somthing like a piper outside of the hanger to get my aircraft out everytime i fly, i would be peeved. There has to be some reasoning to how many a/c's they can stuff into a hanger.

My solution to the problem was build my own, then every one else decided it wasw a great idea to fill it up, BUT im on the outside EVERYTIME :) or else some one gets left outside

Guest davidh10

I'm just absolutely blown away that a pilot would suggest damaging another's aircraft, even if it was in jest.

I imagine that nobody would want to share a hangar with anyone who thinks that is ok, let alone advocating such action to others!

Finally ! Maintenance guys turned up to fix the flat on Tuesday morning. Diplomatic triumph.

I still couldnt fly though. runway iced up and airfield shut. No salt allowed in case it causes corrosion.

However this thread has confirmed that sorting out the little irritations on the ground can be the most troublesome aspect of flying.

I sort of feel sorry for the Piper, Clearly no one loves her enough to keep her in good nick. Not a good prospect.

Thats good news Frank, these things happen and im glad you didnt take some of the advice and add further damage to the Piper. I'm glad it worked out for you. Unfortunately we cant control the weather Most of us here in Aus have been grounded because of storms. I havent flown for 3 weeks and dont know what to do with myself.

Anyway, Best of luck,

Scoob

Guest davidh10

I'll second that Scooby.

Frank; I'm glad it has been resolved peacefully, but I think all this talk of flat tyres has put a "moz" on me... Had to have a slow leak repaired on my car yesterday and while not urgent, I've got to change the front tyre and rotate (swap inside edge for outside edge) the left rear tyre on my aircraft in the near future, due to wear.

We had 61mm of rain in 24 hours the day before yesterday and everything around here is floating ;-) Lots of flooded roads and farms.

I'm hopeful of getting up this evening to take some photos and just generally survey the flood water, but will have to see how the weather develops over the day.