Best Aviation Movies

Admin

Iron Eagles, I have not heard of that film so I looked it up in Maltins, he panned it as utter rubbish. So I went to Martin and Porter reviews, they were of the same opinion, so then to IMDB which gave it 4.9 /10 which it pretty low. So I have to see it now to determine whether the film is really that bad. There was a film at the Imax called something like Fighter Squadron ( not to be confused with the old film about a P47 squadron). it was about group exercises in the US with jet pilots from all over world (yes included Aussie pilots) It looked great on the Imax screen but would be lost as a DVD on a tele set. Perhaps in Blu ray and projected up onto a 2 metre wide screen may do the job.

Allegro 2000

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest burbles1

I saw a black and white film once about an air force test pilot, and the story focused on his wife who gradually conditioned herself into thinking that he was already dead - so that when the time came when she would be told that he had died in a crash, she wouldn't feel much loss. And then one day he didn't come home. Details are a bit vague, but the film ends with the widower talking to another test pilot about to go up - "How can you go up when you think you might not come back?"

American, set in WWII. Any ideas what this is?

Burbles1, it sounds vaguely familiar but I can not place it at the moment but give me time. The Imax film I mentioned was not Fighter Squadron, that was the 1948 film about a P47 squadron. It used actual footage, some of the landings would have made my flying instructor cry. The Imax film was "Fighter Pilot Operation Red Flag". This was one for the boys, dont bother to take your wife or girlfriend or both, they will not enjoy it.

Allegro 2000

Burbles1 have not found your movie but I put up Test Pilot for a search in the IMDB. Yes there was a 'Test Pilot' but it also came up with the Devils, Squadron. The synopsis reads

This is another in a string of aircraft themed films starring old stoneface Richard Dix. In this one Dix plays an ex-Marine flier who has been court-martialed for cowardice and thrown out of the service. He joins a group of pilots who are hired to test a new bomber. Four pilots are killed before Dix comes in and saves the day. He of course finds time to win the hand of the aircraft builder's daughter and clear his name as well. It is the standard plot of the times with nothing new added. There is however quite a lot of excellent aircraft footage which makes the film a keeper for the aircraft buff. The director, E.C Kenton was best known for doing several of the FRANKENSTIEN sequels made in the 1940's. It is a quite watchable time-waster and just right for a rainy day off.

Allegro 2000

Hey... I like the script in Cloud Dancer! I particularly like the scene where the young hotshot takes the beauty Queen for a nice gentle spin in the Pitts... if you call inverted at 10 feet down the strip gentle!!!

I'm trying to live that script except for the end up bit. Already offered the beauty Queen a nice gentle spin in the Pitts at Easter.Personally, I prefer High Road to China as it is a change of pace from real life.

• 9 years later...

What other name would an RAF pilot give to a black, beer-drinking labrador in wartime Britain in 1942? Times change but history doesn't.

Actually, even though he was run over on the eve of the dam busters mission, he was a very lucky dog to be alive at all. In wartime Britain, large pets had to put down if the wartime food rationing couldn't feed them.

Edited by Possum1
  • Agree 1