Best Aviation Movies

Admin

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

High Road to China. Great scenery and the final creditsscenes with the chandelles in the sunset are nice. Aircraft were Stamps not Tigers.

Hi all

Some great movie titles have been coming out in this thread. Battle of Britian is one of my favourites. A couple of weekends ago there were some older movies on TV which I happened to just come across by chance. I never had seen these before, nor can I remember the titles but both movies were set during WW2 both had a bit of Mosquito action in them.

There is another movie I have, the Flying Leathernecks with John Wayne in it. Not a bad movie , unfortunately you see a Catalina get blown to bits, and near the end is pretty good, there are formations of Corsairs. And there was a couple of movies I watched a long time ago were Supercarrier and Supercarrier II with F-18's and F-14's. I think these are mid-80's movies but have not seen them for quite some time. Has anyone else seen those?

Don't think I've seen this one mentioned yet - `Flight of the Phoenix', with Jimmy Stewart as the classic veteran pilot flying their homebuilt over the dunes. Great old movie.

rgmwa

Dambusters - hadn't seen it for ages and then tripped over the opening sequence on tv the other night. Acting perhaps a little too "stiff upper lip" for some tastes (although I suspect Tom Cruise's antics won't stand the test of time either) and the we've been spoilt by modern special effects - however the plentiful shots of Lancasters flying right on the deck amply made up for it - not too much trickery there I believe!Apparently Peter Jackson, of Lord of the Rings fame, is going to do a remake of The Dam Busters ! He has already had strife with wanting to keep the Sqd Leaders dogs name "Nigger".... that was the dogs name for Petes sake !!

How about some old TV series too..

The Pathfinders. (Try and find that one !... let me know if you do)

Baa Baa Blacksheep

The Sound Barrier for me. Great story, great acting and quite authentic. Directed by David Lean. It was the movie that explored control reversal approaching Mach 1. Some great shots of Spitfires and Vampires too.

Dont forget Little Nellie flying in ........ You Only Live Twice.......

Ahhh, now that opens a whole new line of thinking, how could I have forgotten the BD5J in Octopussy I think it was. Couple of other Bond stunts are worth a second look too - Pilatus and skydiver etc

I saw a moovie about 15yrs. ago, I can't remember the exact name but it was based on a true story about a couple of blokes who were ferrying two Ag-tractors from America to Sydney, the hoppers were converted to fuel tanks. One went in the drink at Hawaii (full of fuel, to heavy and clipped the trees on take off) the other flew on and finished up lost, low on fuel and in a storm and by then it was dark. A commercial airline out of N.Z. tracked him down and got him back to land as he ran out of fuel. It was called something like..."The search for flight 327'....or " In search of flight 327"...327 is not the numbers, I just used them as an example, was a great movie and have never seen it or heard of it since.

Cheers Davo.

The Tuskegee airmen & flight of the Phoenix are two I like. I see that The Battle Of Britain is on Next Sunday night SBS (30) at 8.30 P.M.

There is another good movie.I think it is called "Fly away Home" or something like that, its a bit of a childrens movie.Its about a Canadian who flies his trike, and the geese follows him the States.

True story, i have been watching this years new borns on face book, learning their migration route following a trike. unfortunatley some peckerhead shot ten of the enroute.

Any one catch mad mad mad mad world yesterday?

some funny one liners and flying phrases with Buddy Hackett, Mickey Rooney and Jim Backus.

I saw a moovie about 15yrs. ago, I can't remember the exact name but it was based on a true story about a couple of blokes who were ferrying two Ag-tractors from America to Sydney, the hoppers were converted to fuel tanks. One went in the drink at Hawaii (full of fuel, to heavy and clipped the trees on take off) the other flew on and finished up lost, low on fuel and in a storm and by then it was dark. A commercial airline out of N.Z. tracked him down and got him back to land as he ran out of fuel. It was called something like..."The search for flight 327'....or " In search of flight 327"...327 is not the numbers, I just used them as an example, was a great movie and have never seen it or heard of it since.Cheers Davo.

Mercy Mission - The rescue of Flight 771

Cheers

John

Thanks Wigg, I forgot about the Movie Tuskegee Airman. I watched it a few years ago. I have a book here on them. Just for general Information. Being African American, they where not originaly allowed to become Pilots, but Quote -"pressure from black newspapers to get equal opportunities for all". They formed a small trail group of african american men to see if they could learn to fly they and that they had no intensions of sending them into combat.Luckily they did go to combat and became one of the, if not the best fighter squadrons of WW2 flying P-51C aircraft.Some of the pilots where trained up on in the states to fly Replublic P-47 Thunderbolt.When they went to Nth Africa, they where told, "heres the Tech Manual on the P-51, read it and go for a flight"

It had taken until 28 February 2006, by the US congress to recognise the "Tuskegee Airman" and their bravery with the Congressional Gold Metal of Honor.

Aircraft Movies

I agree with Dazza and Kgwilson, the Battle of Britain, Dark Blue World, Blue Max and the Final Countdown ( particulary in Bluray as it is 7.1 sound track wow) I have my own cinema with a 2.4 metre wide Cinemascope screen. The quality is better than any cinema other than Imax. When I first saw Dark Blue World it was at the local cinema, I was annoyed by a distraction. I felt like yelling out many times to the spitfire pilot " you have a green exit sign on your tail do something". The Battle of Britain I have probably seen at least 25 times, Final Countdown at least 10 times. It is far fetched but great entertainment for little boys.

Allegro 2000

Guest Maj Millard

I grew up watching the TV series 'Airpower' which started out with that great shot of a B-47, belching black smoke from all six jets on takeoff as it flew over the camera.

Of course 'The battle of Britian' or any other movie with Spitfires or Mosquitos in it.

The 'Right Stuff" telling the story of Chuck Yeagar and the Mercury astronauts.

The 'Aviator' the story of Howard Hughes.

'Top Gun' of course, showing off the magnificent F-14 Tomcat.

And what about 'The Great Santini", anyone remember that ??.........some great footage of that supurb aircraft the F4 Phantom cruising menacingly through the clouds. ..............................................................................................Maj...

Aviation Movies

All,

We have all forgotten "The Flying Tigers" with John Wayne (1942) saw it at the flicks when it first came out, Have not seen it since. I think I will now get the DVD to add to my collection. The lists from the other pilots has been most refreshing, I can see the Mt Vincent Cinema having an interesting viewing programme for this winter. You can all fly in if you have a STOL (Foxbat, Allegro 2000, Maule etc strip is only 450 metres at 3550 feet alt)

Allegro 2000

• 2 weeks later...

Can't believe it was page 3 before someone mentioned Iron eagles:

Also you can't go wrong with top gun, airplane, blackhawk down, and one of my guilty pleasure during the mid 90's, firebirds (with nicholas cage).

- Shags

Hey... I like the script in Cloud Dancer! I particularly like the scene where the young hotshot takes the beauty Queen for a nice gentle spin in the Pitts... if you call inverted at 10 feet down the strip gentle!!! She screams here lungs out but must have loved it because they end up married.

What about a very obscure NZ movie called "Solo"?

Its about a guy flying Cessna's for forestry in NZ, his son and a girl who comes into their lives. In his spare time the father tinkers with a Tiger Moth. There are some great flying scenes of the Tiger doing its stuff.