Best Aviation Movies

Admin

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Wow big call there. Impossible to have just one so top three movies.

Battle of Britain, The Blue Max, Always.

TV serials

Sky King, Whirlybirds, Ripcord.

Dambusters - hadn't seen it for ages and then tripped over the opening sequence on tv the other night. Acting perhaps a little too "stiff upper lip" for some tastes (although I suspect Tom Cruise's antics won't stand the test of time either) and the we've been spoilt by modern special effects - however the plentiful shots of Lancasters flying right on the deck amply made up for it - not too much trickery there I believe!

Out of Africa - Moth flying over the Rift Valley etc in Kenya

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PboA8sP3SFA

• Like 1

Pretty much the same as Ozzie.Battle of Britain, Blue Max, great DVD's to have in the home collection. Also The final countdown. Where a A/c carrier goes back in time to WW2.Great footage of a Tomcat up against a Zero.

C'mon you young whippersnappers!

How about Howard Hughes' "Hells Angels", and David Niven in "Dawn Patrol"? Then there were all those 1930's movies about mail plane pilots. James Gagney did the test flying for de-icing boots. Jimmy Stewart was the "Lone Eagle" (Lindburgh).

What about flying a twin engined Beech 18 through a signboard in "It's a Mad, Mad,Mad,Mad World?"

OME

Somebody has got to say it - Top Gun! As corny as it is, still a great flick.

I recently acquired Cloud Dancer, haven't had a chance to see all of it yet due to children hogging the television, but if you want to see Pitts Specials doing their thing, it is spectacular. Terrible acting and weak script, great flying, what more could you want!

OME - Its a mad, mad etc world, now that brings back memories! Dazza, likewise Final Countdown.

Anyone remember Capricorn One - fodder for the moon landing conspiracy crew, the last part with choppers chasing a Stearman or similar was pretty good I thought.

Also, Those Magnifient men in their Flying Machines; along with Tora, Tora Tora about Pearl Harbour and what followed.

Interesting that no one has mention "The Aviator"...story about Howard Hughs or "Pearl Harbour" (recent remake) which has a lot of flying in it.

Apart from some of those already listed I have in my DVD collection:

A6M5 Zero

Black Hawk Down

The High and the Mighty

Memphis Bell

Midway

Mosquito Squadron

Spitfire (a movie on the story on how the Spitfire was designed and created)

Stealth

633 Squadron

Flying High

Flying High 2

and all the 10 seasons of the TV series JAG that had a lot of flying in them

Hmm, a list. Ian you have given me a reminder of something i should have done long ago. Make a list of the dvds and vids i have in my collection. Couple of hundred at least. Most of the vids are aircraft from WW11. Come in handy when i go buying more as a couple of times i have seen something grabbed it and found i already had it. usually because it has a new jacket photo on it.

Yeah Ian, I'll second Pearl Harbour, it may have had a bit of a soppy storyline but I enjoyed the flying sequences. 633 Squadron - there's another I'd forgotten, similar to Dambusters in that it was made back when the real aircraft - and crews to fly the wheels off them, were still freely available. There was some hair raising footage of Mosquitos playing in and around the fjords I recall.

JAG was a good series, particularly as many of the stories had some basis in fact - including the back seater inadvertantly ejecting from a Tomcat and going missing in a forest overnight. I've got a photo somewhere of the aircraft returning to base as a cabrio, apparently some rear admiral off for a jolly wasn't strapped in tightly enough and grabbed the lower ejection handle to steady himself when they rolled inverted:yikes:, not the only time that has happened by any means.

Some of the other JAG episodes included the landing of the C130 on an Aircraft carrier...no tail hook and it had to reverse engines before it even touched the deck so it stalled itself on, there was the Osprey episode and many more great ones

Guest davidh10

I'll add the tv series 12 O'clock High.

I'm not sure if "Sound Barrier" is the one, but I recall a British black & white film about breaking the sound barrier and the discovery, by the test pilot, that the controls reversed sense at Mach 1.

Lots of good movies listed already, but not sure if anyone has mentioned `The Right Stuff'. It was all about pilots and aircraft, as well as astronauts (and they're just pilots of a different sort anyway).

rgmwa

• Like 1

Interesting that no one has mention "The Aviator"...story about Howard Hughs or "Pearl Harbour" (recent remake) which has a lot of flying in it.Apart from some of those already listed I have in my DVD collection:

A6M5 Zero

Black Hawk Down

The High and the Mighty

Memphis Bell

Midway

Mosquito Squadron

Spitfire (a movie on the story on how the Spitfire was designed and created)

Stealth

633 Squadron

Flying High

Flying High 2

and all the 10 seasons of the TV series JAG that had a lot of flying in them

I have some of those but also:

Hurricane

A Yank In the RAAF

The real Battle of Britain (not the movie)

Reach for the Sky

Battle of MidWay

Fly Boys

War in the Pacific

Messerschmidt BF109

kaz