BAK Whoes!

Hi All,

I am about to take my BAK test so i can do my GFPT checkride.

I am so god damm streessed and nervous, I hate books and such just wish it was all flying!!:thumb_up::thumb_up:

I've done some practice exams and seem to be doing ok but i feel come d-day i will crash and burn!

Are there any web-sites with online practice exams on them?

PA28Pilot

G'day.

What books are you studying?

Don't get too stressed out, whats the worst that could happen?. Even if you don't pas its no biggie, just go back and study the areas you were unsure of and have another crack.

If your passing all the prac exams in the study guides, then your well set for a good result. You need to get used to sitting exams and being tested, its just a part of aviation.

PS. If theres areas your dodgey on, dont be scared to ask your instructor for a briefing. 1 hour with a good instructor is equal to 5 hours reading at home.

cheers

Hi Merv,

I used Bob Tait as it came recommended by many people.

Im good with all the air-law and procedures and things like that, its just some of the aerodynamic questions they try and trick you with.

Cheers for the advice, think i will just suck it up and give it a crack!

The other thing is, when u do an exam, if there is a question that you are unsure about...don't worry about it and leave it till the end. The answer may well be hidden somewhere else in the exam :P It's amazing how often you find the answer somewhere, or another questions helps prompt you to come up with the right answer :)

read the question, read it again, then re read the question then read ONLY the KEY WORDS in the question, read the KEY WORDS again. Then you should be able to understand what answer the question is seeking. If you don't cross out all the words that are NOT KEY WORDS in the question. Read it again. Write down all the answers you think are possible and look for the same KEY WORDS in your answer.

I just did my PPL theory yesterday for SI- I hate them too. Motz is on the money, do the easy ones first- read every Q twice, then when you think you have the answer- read it again as most often there is the other right answer hiding! I got caught on three double whammy's yesterday and should have known better. The CASA boys write the questions not just to see if you know the answer to the question but any associated rule/law or principle that applies to it as well.

The Cyber sample exams are really good, and I came across 4 or 5 in the test yesterday that I had covered in study with them.

Your BAK will be done within your school so theres absolutely no harm in approaching your instructor beforehand and going through any area's you have concerns about. CASA has their sample Q's you can do, as does Tait, but a study text that refers you back to or explains the concept is more beneficial.

Finally RELAX!!- you're not the first and won't be the last and treat the exams as a learning exercise as well, much better to get it wrong on the ground and revise than in the air... Good luck.

Try gazing out the window. When I did my Air Leg test I got a question wrong about the colour of the cones used to mark an unserviceable area.... sad thing is there were some right outside the window marking a boggy patch, if only I had a look around instead of concentrating on the test form.

Hello PA28 Pilot.When I did my GA BAK test in the late nineties, I did the weight and balance part first then went back and did the general questions.There is plenty of time to do the test.I just felt it was easier at the start of the test to W and B whilst fresh.As the other guys/blokes have mentioned you have to know the stuff because Muiltiguess questions generaly have a correct answer and a nearly correct answer, then two answers that are incorrect.

It is just the first of many theory exams as you go through your training so it is good for you to do.

BAK may be "basic" but it isn't "simple". The thing is though that this aerodynamic stuff may not seem all that important, but it really is relevant to every flight you do. When you start with BAK it seems so hard, but by the time you go over and over and over it again and again and again with every exam that you do, it makes a lot of sense.

So do persevere with it, even after your exam keep your books handy and keep reading over it until you do understand it. Passing the test is one thing, understanding the theory and how it applies to your flight is just as important!

If in doubt, ask your instructor. You can ask on here too but it is a forum so don't take it all as gospel, check with your instructor if you are not sure.

• 2 months later...

I don't have any quals in this to offer sound advice, but what I have been doing (just started 4 weeks ago), is summarising the chapters in the BAK book using key phrases and words and transcribing those onto a large whiteboard (i study at work / one man branch); reading out aloud each key point; transferring that information onto a pad then proceeding to do the review questions. I've only just completed a couple of chapters but I think this tecjnique works ok with me for now. I hate the aerodynamic component as well but realise that it's so relevant. Currently I'm reading the BAK published by Aviation Theory Centre but tonight I've ordered Bob Taits. Hope I can cross reference and gain a better understanding of this material. Also, I reckon ordering practice exams might assist too. I've ordered couple of them as well.

Guest davidh10

Lots of good advice above.

Another thing you can do is to explain the BAK topics and theory to your partner or a friend. I find that there's nothing that cements knowledge more than having to explain it to someone else and answer their questions.

I feel the same about the study side of it. I do have my GFPT. And i did well on the flight test. But i failed the first time on BAK written test but get there the second time. one thing that helped me was the sporty DVDs there from the US. I do know some of the rules are not the same as here but they do help and they have question at the end of each segment.

Paul