Light aircraft missing

Vev

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest David C

I have been speaking to one of the regular flyers from The Oaks this morning . He confirmed that the aircraft was one of the based Jabirus , but he did not know of the identity of the two occupants .

Dave C

Just been advised:

At approx 1030 am they walked into the father’s premises at Pooncarie after having forced landing on a station property late afternoon Friday, they then walked 50km overnight found a remote CFA station.

Guest davidh10

Glad to hear they are OK.

I wonder if they were carrying a PLB? Triggering one could have made locating them quick and easy, and perhaps minimised the worry by the family, as it may allow them to be located before the family raised the alarm. Apparently no radio call to Centre either.

It would be interesting to hear more about those aspects.

Glad to hear they are ok too. I fly into the Oaks regularly. I may well have met the pilot. This would probably have been a Jabiru as they are all big fans of the Jab over at the Oaks. I am a bit surprised that a plb was not activated as having to walk that far for help is far too risky to attempt in remote areas. It seems to me as though one was not being carried. Not sure why you would risk it in this day and age???

Guest Maj Millard

Glad all are ok. Is this not the second Jab out over remote dangerous country without a beacon ?..aren't they mandatory now ?...are these folks not putting our reputation and freedoms at risk ??......By the sound of it, this could have easily ended differently .Is this not giving CASA the ammuntion they are looking for ??.....Please explain !....................................................Maj...

Ditto that Major. Annoys me no end that with all the push for higher faster further that some cannot show that they are responsible for their safety by staying one step ahead of what is requiered. Seems that the powers cannot make up their minds just when it is going to be a must to carry one but it would go a long way towards making everyone look smart by getting one and using it. Know someone who does long trips and does not carry a PLB/EPIRB?

How about putting the word on them to consider one.

Hi,

I can see one reason for not activating the beacon, both were fit, fit enough to walk 50kms so that in it's self is not an emergency or critical situation, just a very long walk.

Maybe there was no mobile phone coverage when they landed? Really a 50 klm walk at night would need local knowledge or at least a reasonable track/road to do it, I wonder is that what happened?

Until we can get information from the pair we are just guessing?

I for one I would be interested in the though processes of this pair.

Bob.

Guest Maj Millard

I thought it was mandatory in all aircraft, if you go further than 50 NM from point of departure ???.......................................Maj

Icebob, had a full emergency search been initiated by their relatives, because they had not heard of them (at great expense), would their decision to walk 50 kls have shown sound judgement ?. Besides we are always told that staying with the aircraft, is always the best course of action after going down, especially in doubtfull country.

Had they not made the 50 Kls sucessfully, we may still be looking for them. Sorry, a possible example of poor judgement IMOP........................................Maj...

This one was not in a Designated Remote Area unlike the William Creek one, however from a SAR/survival point of view it's similar country although currently a bit wetter (unusually). Relying on being able to walk 50k after a forced landing is not a good idea.

The other issue is SAR resources being used looking for a needle in a haystack. In the analysis of the Newman - (not to) Tennant Creek incident in 2003 it was pointed out that a call on 121.5 or use of a PLB would have saved the use of 17 aircraft (with another 20 being assembled) in a visual search.

I have to agree with many of the sentiments here. This is an example of a case where activating a plb would have been of great benefit to all involved. I for one would not want to put my family through the pain of wondering whether I was safe after skipping my report in time by such a long interval.

Hi,

Maj, I would agree not the most well advised route however with out actually hearing from them we are all guessing. On this occasion they did make it out maybe they did have a beacon, there are a lot of what ifs here, we still do not know about, I know a couple of pilots from The Oaks that do not like carrying a mobile phone, could our two pilots be one or both of those? It does seem odd not to have SAR watch or make a radio call before "doing in".

Bob.

I glad the are OK, but I am a bit concerned over the 50 Km Tab.If one of the gents twisted a knee or ankle that can easily happen at night due to fatique and lack of vision due to the darkness.It may have been a different out come.Anyway I guess it doesnt matter as they are OK.

jcamp has hit the nail on the head.There was already an effort put in place to try to locate the plane. I had heard that even a Citation had been in the air as an aerial spotter (when you consider the search area, this is not all that excessive). Not to mention what would have happened if/when they did locate the plane, to then find that there is nobody around. Even if a message was left at the plane, finding two people on foot would be a lot harder than finding the stricken plane.

.........however if its a shorter nav, or even one where you know the land well (such as along the coast) its not really necessary because youll be able to get somewhere fairly easy by walking......An EPIRB could be just as essential for short flights.

Scenario:

Up for an early Sunday morning flight, engine goes real quiet, glide down silently, locals are inside at Sunday breakfast so don't notice anything, a stump in the deep grass causes major damage including a broken leg so no walking, no mobile signal down here in the grass, since it was just a short flight only have a small bottle of water, sun getting pretty hot by mid-day and throat getting very dry, no one at home knew exactly where you were going and not expecting you back home til late afternoon, could be dark before alarm is raised, leg is really painful now, mossies sucking the last moisture from you......... now sure wishing you had an EPIRB..........

JG

Guest Maj Millard

I'm on my second 10 year PLB, don't mind the price for ten years protection, and I frankly think your foolhardy if you don't carry one at all times when airborne..........................................Maj...

Guest davidh10

RAA is still exempt from the 50nm requirement to carry an emergency beacon, and there's a percentage of members who assiduously rely on this to not own one, as evidenced by posts in other threads from time to time. This seems to me to be contrary to the primary objective of so many aviation procedures... to minimise or manage risk.

GA can carry a PLB, at lower cost, or an EPIRB, rather than having to use an ELT (specifically for aviation) which activates on impact (as well as manually) and which is installed in the aircraft.

An EPIRB is activated by contact with water and is used in maritime operations. There are these three quite different classes of locator beacons, then there's with or without GPS. With GPS will locate the target to within 120m in a matter of minutes. Without GPS detection can take 90 minutes to give initial broad area position and up to 5 hours and multiple satellite passes to localise the search area to within 5km. See the comparison at AMSA.

My PLB (with GPS) is on the same leg strap as my navigation timer and is worn, every time I step into the aircraft. Even just for circuits.

A forced landing is an emergency and a pilot should use all facilites at their disposal to minimise risk to the persons on-board. That includes a Mayday call to CENTRE and activation of a Beacon if possible. If a safe landing is achieved and no rescue is required, turn off the beacon and contact AMSA or CENTRE asap to advise.

Yep. Spot on dave. ANY forced landing should be treated as a serious situation. The PIC has a duty of care for his PAX, himself and his aircraft. One should never assume that the landing will be successful, until proven otherwise, treat it as a dire situation. Give your pax and yourself every opportunity to live to fight another day.

In the event of an engine failure....

1. Trim for best glide speed.

2. Choose somewhere to land.

3. FCMOST (or whatever youve been taught) Attempt restart, if unsuccessful continue to step 4.

4. Mayday call on center, or 121.50

5. Sqwak 7700, activate beacon!!!!!!