Recreational Flying Phone App

Admin

Coming soon is an iPhone and Android Application that is designed specifically for the Recreational Flying web site on mobile phones and tablet PCs. It will be made available through the iTunes Store and others and will make browsing/using the Recreational Flying web site much easier and more friendlier then simply using a web browser on your phone. There have been costs to create this and make it available so there will be a very small fee of a couple of dollars but it will be worth it...sorry

We will also in a few weeks be releasing a new very lightweight site styling scheme that is being developed for mobile phones and tablet PCs to use the internet whilst mobile.

Top work Ian, as I sit here in hervey bay on holidays, using my newly acquired I-Phone to browse the site, you come up with this. Either you are simply all over it, or stalking me. Either way it's a good thing.

Can't wait to get the app!

• 2 weeks later...

I am sitting here away from my pc using my iPad to post this testing the upcoming new mobile format of the site and it is testing ok...it even automatically recognizes that you are logging in from a mobile device and sets the scheme to mobile for you...still some work to do to it but hopefully next week I should be able to release it

Guest davidh10

Ian;

Please ensure that people can opt out/in of the mobile web format should they prefer the current full format in their mobile device.

As an example, the "Weatherzone" site has a detection that automatically throws you to a "mobile version" of the site, however I find it to be absolutely useless as it omits key information I use and makes me push multiple buttons (links) to get data that I could otherwise get on one page, albeit that I may have to scroll around a bit. Fortunately they provide a link that allows you to select "Standard Site" and the selection is sticky (it must be in a cookie).

Their mobile site uses a modified URL (replaces "www" with "m") and is actually different pages, not just a choice of style sheets.

Ian;

As an example, the "Weatherzone" site has a detection that automatically throws you to a "mobile version" of the site, however I find it to be absolutely useless as it omits key information I use and makes me push multiple buttons (links) to get data that I could otherwise get on one page, albeit that I may have to scroll around a bit. Fortunately they provide a link that allows you to select "Standard Site" and the selection is sticky (it must be in a cookie).

Hi David

From memory you are using HTC Desire. It has a setting to not use mobile web pages. Probably means larger downloads but I don't find this an issue and always use normal web pages, as like you I found too much info missing.

Ray

• 1 year later...
Guest davidh10
Did this ever get off the ground?

Yes. I don't use it though. Don't remember why not. Probably requested permissions I did not like.

Anyway, the full site works well in my HTC Sensation, and previously on the Desire.

Guest davidh10
I have looked for it a few times and can not find it.. where do i get it from?? I tunes??

Probably. I don't use Apple, but unless Apple want you to have it, you have no option.

On Android, every time I went to tis site, it prompted me to install it. Had to tell it to not bug me to stop it prompting.

Is it for android only ian? still cant find it

No, it is for both Android and Apple:

http://www.forumrunner.com/

However, for the last few weeks I have been working on the next site upgrade and although it won't be finished for at least 4 to 6 months, it has its own mobile style that automatically detects the site being viewed on a mobile device

Here are some screen shots of the new mobile style that is in the site update coming later this year...it was all working great till the other day when I added a new site section application that clashes with the auto detection of using a mobile style...the joys of site development...this and things like it are why it is going to take many months of work to bring it all together into an incredible site upgrade that you will all enjoy:

5.thumb.JPG.da0ec8cb7234e5257bdee6db930eaccf.JPG

1.thumb.JPG.82c35de651f302378b760ae10cf03d00.JPG

2.thumb.JPG.9ed37cc4d492b8b30ef02515a9ca56fd.JPG

4.thumb.JPG.0f664ae90b969bb693c02d4639b1062a.JPG

3.thumb.JPG.41055a8a0665271f7afa9773144a5d94.JPG