800cc E-Tec twostroke.... What do you think?

gofastclint

The Skidoo 800cc E-TEC is a great option as an aero conversion. It uses less fuel than a 4 stroke to make the same power, it's light, is ready to drive a prop via it's belt pully, it even uses less oil than a 4 stroke. Think about what life a racing snowmobile has, they are built tough. The more I read about this the more I want to put one in a Rans S9. Oh.. It's also cheaper than almost every aero engine. It would look good powering a drifter.

Certainly worth a try, marine use is often a lot closer to aviation than say a car engine, ie. longish periods of constant load and high revs. Motor vehicles by comparison only use peak revs and load intermittently, if at all - I do at least 150km of mostly freeway driving on a daily basis and cannot recall when last I had the throttle wide open.

By the way Evinrude, who pioneered etec, have an aviation pedigree of sorts, the original engine in the Rotorway Scorpion homebuilt helicopter was based on an Evinrude V4 of around 125hp.

What are the fuel consumption figures and what is the oil consumption. If they use less fuel per HP than a 4 stroke and also less oil, they must be amazing technology.

The oil consumption of the two stroke is less hour for hour than the ammount of oil used in oil changes with the fourstroke. Fuel figures are all over google.

#By the way Evinrude, who pioneered etec, have an aviation pedigree of sorts, the original engine in the Rotorway Scorpion homebuilt helicopter was based on an Evinrude V4 of around 125hp.#

Of course you guys do realise that Evinrude and Rotax are manufactured by the same company (Bombardier Recreational Products) and that there is some discussions about loop charging (ETEC) the two stroke aero engines so see if they can meet the emission guidelines otherwise the end is near for the two stroke aero engine and I think we have had a thread on this already..

I had a look @ ski-doo's website and its an impressive bit of engineering. they have some good ideas in the engine like oil injection into the crankcase and exhaust ports. it has adjustable exhaust ports which alter the engine timing like VVT on a 4 stroke so it should have a heap of midrange torque.

• 4 years later...
ok sounds like a plan, what is the redline?

Well!! I have looked at alternative engines for years. The E-Tec engine was launched in 2003 so isn't as new as you think. I`m not surprised BRP have put it in a snowmobile as expected they might have produced E-Tec micro light engines as you may be aware that aircraft engines have always had the problem, if you want more power then you need a bigger engine a bigger engine causes problems as you have added weight so it becomes a negative. but if you have a light weight engine producing more power then you are on a positive which is much needed. the advantage of a two stroke is it fires on every stroke so more power! a big plus is fewer components too! less to go wrong.

BRP are well aware of producing an E-Tec aero engine I`m quite sure and expect to see one in the near future.

The E-Tec engine has many uses for just about anything you can think of. Hovercraft. Racing cars (Kit) it would replace the much loved R1 engine.

There are many reasons why these are not put into everything.

Think of the spare parts that they would not be producing. Replacement engines etc etc so why would you want to produce a replacement for all your engines and shoot yourselves in the foot due to lost parts revenue and so I could go on! but this is another subject.

I`m pleased to see I can buy an E-Tec engine off the shelf as this was not available 5 yrs ago when it was only available as an outboard.

Nickcrl

looked thru the videos

http://www.ski-doo.com/ca/technologies/engine-technologies/2-strokes

it would need to be much more reliable than the 618 to be of any use for aircraft

The 503 was probably the most reliable 2 stroke they made but that didnt stop mine grenading in flight

oiling system is a significant improvement, as is the elimination of rotary intake slide valving

There is a smaller version 600E - wonder if the output shaft is the same fitting to the 582 gearbox?

There is a long list of similar prospects

Simonini Victor2,

Hirth 3701,

Konig MZ301i,

AMW A808FI

Diamond GIAE110R,

Diamond IAE75R

I have yet to hear of any that have been sucessful

The direct injection probably improves fuel consumption figures. I would accept that. The other Two stroke problems like hot pistons marginal rates of oil around(They go together) Big holes in the cylinder walls called ports that cause localised wear and ring flutter/breakage and a built up crank with caged roller bearings, are still there. It's probably the best lightest powerfull skidoo engine. The shutdown and treatment (oil inhibiting) is a good feature. Should be as good or better than the 582 in my view but not a revolutionary development in principle. Nev