Jab down

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah no, not good news. Found the link online; http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/south-australia/man-hurt-in-light-plane-crash-near-port-lincoln/story-e6frea83-1226020021631 , looking at the photo I wonder whether the firies cut the wing off to reach the pilot, one would hope that they know the fuel lines run through there.....

Careful out there people, we seem to have had a sudden rash of these things.

Guest Maj Millard

This is no sudden rash Spin..I'm hoping the pilot makes a full recovery............................................................................................Maj...

I believe the jab is not strong in negative "G". The method of attaching the wings is good in compression but tends to pullout of the attach points in tension as would happen if the plane pancaked or had a high "G" landing. Nev

Maj, with respect we have had 3 serious incidents reported in 2 days - that qualifies as a rash in my book, if not yours. A quick scan of the forums reveals that it is quite some time since the previous serious RA Aus incident was reported.

I recently became aware of another incident involving a Jab near ,or at Broken Hill last week . Reportedly hit a power line and is in hospital . Would like to know more if anybody has any further info.

Bob

Good point about the fuel in the wings Spin . It certainly appears that the wing has been removed at the scene . Lets hope they did'nt use a portable saw , if they did maybe RAAus should be putting out some general notice to firies , regarding the potential of a major explosion .

Bob

Guest Maj Millard

Spin, With all due respect, I took your post #2 as meaning a sudden rash of Jab accidents, which has not been the case at all. My mistake. In fact if you follow such things closely, as I do, you will have noticed that there has been a pretty constant run of jabs going down, for one reason or another, for several years now. Now some may say that is because there are more of them flying, which is a scenero I cannot personally continue to subscribe to.

My distaste for the Jab engines (and any other suspect aeroengine for that matter) is well known on this forum.

The Sierra accident, which is a design I am fond of, and support, has an unknown cause at this early stage, and could have been caused by several factors. Unfortunatly first-flight incidents are not rare in aviation, and is a recognized danger zone.

As a sidenote, have been accuratly listing all Jab incidents for over a year now, (and plenty prior to that), with, believe it or not, an open, abjective, and fair mind from an engineering point of view. There are a few significent listings now for this year alone.

I have no beef with Jabaru in particular, but as a working engineer I hate an unreliable piece of machinery with a passion !.

As a pilot I have two moral choices, put my head in the sand, or make a noise. Only by making a noise, will changes be made for the better. We cannot just keep accepting these incidents as 'par for course' and allow them to continually erode a very good RAAus safety record which took many years to build, by many good pilots.

There are people in RAAus and CASA also watching closely, since the two recent failures in NZ training aircraft, which were both certified aircraft.

There is the old saying in aviation unfortunatly that they come in threes, and the past week has not been a good one for us.

We can not of course expect to live in a perfect accident free world in aviation, it just doesn't exist.

We can however easily eliminate common and recurring known causes, and this will be good for Recreational Aviation generally, and all of our flying freedoms in the short and long term...............................................................................................Maj...024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif....(now rapidly donning extra heavy-duty industrial strength flak jacket !)

I don't have a favourite anything.(except Tailwheel aircraft in sportplanes)..GENERALLY a make of engine/plane has adherents/followers who get very defensive when their favourite product gets a bucketting.. IF we get all the facts ( and they are out there) we can see if there is a problem. I suspect there is, but then I am only acting on whatever evidence I have come across. There ARE a lot of Jabiru's out there. That is a fact. They may also be doing a fair number of hours flying. That is a fact yet to be determined. Many engines do not make big hours but some do. Why the difference? Nev

Guest Maj Millard

That's correct Facthunter. There are also a lot of 912 powered aircraft out there, also doing a LOT of flying. nd if we go global, a hell of a lot more !!. Are we hearing of them as often in incidences ?..Just to be fair, I will include all 912 powered aircraft in my Aussie incidence records also, so we do have some facts for later comparison. My basis of record will be all incidents/accidents caused by some engine related failure, leading to damage or emergency landing of the aircraft. What do you think ?...............................................Maj...

I am fine on any record keeping that is based on proper analysis. I am not Jabiru verses Rotax at all. If there is a problem we should know what it is and that would be the first step to fixing it, and then we will all be in the picture and informed. regarding the way of determining whether to include it, if you could get ALL the failures whether they related to an accident or not that would be more inclusive. I don't know how you would go about that. I was in a position some years back to have some knowledge of engines that were returned to Rotax under warrantee.. These didn't have had to be full failures but they should still count. I don't know how you would get ALL the information. I am sure that a lot doesn't get reported.. Most of the problem with the 4 stroke rotax's is with carb rubbers and exhaust system cracks.. I have heard and seen documented one failure of an exhaust lifter but that could have been oil system contamination. I don't think that there will be much doubt as to which of the engines will be the more reliable and it's made in Austria... not Austr(AL)ia...Nev

Guest basscheffers
"It was his first solo flight". In a 19- reg?

1. Yes, you can get instruction in your own home built. Build the plane, get someone to test fly it, get instruction.

2. This is the media, it could be a first flight of a new home built?

19-7527 is a J230. I can't find any other 7?27 rego that would make sense. Unless the Rego is 7827 and not on the website yet.

1. Yes, you can get instruction in your own home built. Build the plane, get someone to test fly it, get instruction.2. This is the media, it could be a first flight of a new home built?

Yes, thought of that later, didn't get a chance to edit my post. Doesn't really matter though ... let's just hope the chap pulls through.

Guest Maj Millard

Yes IGN, I have noticed that also over the years. Whilst living and working in California we hangared a Pressureized Cessna 210 'with the works' that was used and belonged to one of the large Aviation Insurers. To hop in that thing and switch on the master was like starting up a pinball machine !...

Anyway the plane covered the three states of Cal, Nevada, and New mexico, and was used to assess crash claims. They would come in and depart every monday, and generally spend 3-4 days away.

Some days the pilot/assessor would come in and say 'it's been a busy weekend, four crashes'...or, it's been a slow one, only one crash !.

Due to the shear numbers of private aircraft in this part of the world, on any good weekend there would generally be something for this guy to look at on Monday.

Remember there are probabily twice the amount of aircraft and flying done in Calif alone, than in the whole of Australia combined on any weekend, and I could well be understating things here.

There were particular events in Calif at least, that seemed to trigger 'a bad weekend'. The first Winter storm off the pacific, especially if it happened on a weekend, would get a couple each year. A weekend with a lot of airshows and fly-ins in Summer, could be guaranteed to get a few more.

The first few good weekends of Summer would also produce a few accidents as folks pulled aircraft out of hangars, that hadn't flown in months...................................................................................................................Maj...

Guest kozmik

Just caught a glimpse of the aircraft on the news on tele. It had a 6 cylinder Jabiru engine and I am pretty sure it was a 170. If it was his first flight, I wonder if he had the C of G right with an extra 25 kilos plus sitting on the front.

That's sad, I hope the pilot makes a full recovery.

Perhaps a future version of the Jabiru will include a collapsible support under the seats for additional impact absorption, would probably be useful in a very hard landing situation.

I recently became aware of another incident involving a Jab near ,or at Broken Hill last week . Reportedly hit a power line and is in hospital . Would like to know more if anybody has any further info. Bob

Biggles,

I believe the accident near Broken Hill was a SP500, the pilot whom i used to work with was from Paynesville in Victoria (plane hangared at Bairnsdale).

Info i recieved was he was landing near a roadhouse at Packsaddle and caught a swer wire, it stretched 110meters then the Jab apparently did a 360 in the air and pancaked onto it's belly

Injuries i have heard was a broken eye socket, an amputated finger and possibly some broken ribs, flown to hospital in Adelaide.

Thats about all i know about it.

Alf