Jab down

A couple of other issues also happen during the first few hours of testing the Zenith such as fuel lines leaking using 3003-0 VERSATUBE

[soft aluminum tubing for instrument air and vacuum lines, fuel and oil lines, and primer lines ] The flared end fitting need to be re-tightened as the soft tube embeds.Whereas the 5052 fuel lines did not.The 10580 ACS gascolator thru firewall fitting needed attention as it was weeping [the tapers are slightly out on either the fitting or the Gascolator]. Choke cable slid thru the soldered union [i don't like these sort of locking methods] thus leaving the choke half on which caused the mixture to become rich on approach as the throttle was set to idle, the engine stopped .Engine oil pressure relief valve stuck partially open at 3.5 hrs TT , fixed by oil change/new filter.Up to 12hrs TT now with no other issues. My first flight reminded me of my first solo and I used the same mind set and the fact that Motzartmerv had worked out the landing [with and without engine power] and take off methods for this A/C, thank you . I totally agree that it would be of great benefit to have the CFI sitting next to you prior to first solo flight by the owner/builder. Cheers

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmm , you may have something there Motz , does look like something is missing .

Regarding the Zenith and more generally the testing of owner-builts. We often find that homebuilders are so full on with the task, that their proficiency as a pilot tends to slip , either due to lack of funds , their anxiety to complete the build , or both , they put all their spare hours into the build . Some home builds take many years to complete , many are never completed . Coupled with this , todays a/c are not the simple rag & tube of yesteryear , but often fast and loaded with complex electronics , where if things go pearshaped ,you may not have the luxury of time as in the past .The Zenith and its wing flutter problems are one example of an impending disaster that may not have been noticed by a novice pilot . My personal opinion is that it should mandatory for all newly completed ownerbuilt a/c to carry an instructor , ideally qualified in similar a/c ,for say the first 5 hours . This ,as well as sorting out any undesirable features of the a/c , would ensure that the owner had sufficient time to acquire the skills and knowledge , to enable safe flying . Many may disagree with this proposal , and it is diametrically opposed to what the current RAAus ( our regulatory body that puts a high priority on safety ) rules stipulate .

Bob

Having two pilots or an instructor supervising would inhibit the quick actions that may be required to avert disaster. Merv did a good job with the trim. IF someone was flying it with low experience there would be a considerable delay in working out what is going on. With control reversal or such there is little time available to work out what is going on. You wouldn't know if it was the plane or the pilot, initially, causing the problem. In extreme cases there is always a potential problem of the pilot freezing on the controls if the plane is doing something funny. Nev

Hmmm , you may have something there Motz , does look like something is missing ..The Zenith and its wing flutter problems are one example of an impending disaster that may not have been noticed by a novice pilot .Bob

In all the testing done there was NO Flutter issues found with the Zenith 601 design. The current upgrade mods required to be performed was to increase the structural safety margin as the aircraft was been stressed beyond design limits, as this type of aircraft can be over stressed due to the responsive nature of the elevators [ most aircraft you can rip the wings off if you exceed design loads] and not understanding maneuvering speed. Cheers

The no passenger for the first 25 hours problem is being addressed by SAAA and CASA are aware of the difficulties. I test flew my homebuilt and had never flown that type of plane before, but I was current on taildraggers and had flown similar types years before. I certainly would not want to have an instructor with me for a first flight on type of a homebuilt. If I didn;t think I could handle it I would get an expert on type to do the first flights and advise me of any difficulties to be aware of. I would have thought that the Zenith and Savannah are very similar and it would have been possible to get some time in a similar plane.

The no passenger for the first 25 hours problem is being addressed by SAAA and CASA are aware of the difficulties. I test flew my homebuilt and had never flown that type of plane before, but I was current on taildraggers and had flown similar types years before. I certainly would not want to have an instructor with me for a first flight on type of a homebuilt. If I didn;t think I could handle it I would get an expert on type to do the first flights and advise me of any difficulties to be aware of. I would have thought that the Zenith and Savannah are very similar and it would have been possible to get some time in a similar plane.

High wing vs Low wing similar?

Rotax powered vs Jab 6 powered...Manual flap vs electric flap...Cable controls vs push rods...90 kt VNE vs 140 kts VNE.. there are a few differences..

I had a bit of time in similar performance low wings, as well as much higher performance low wings. But i reckon the only really useful time would have been in the same model.

Another member wants me to test fly his esqual. We are going for a trip to melbourne so I can get some time in one before attempting that acft.

The almost full length fowler flaps alone look like they would take some getting used to.