Moree plane crash

Guest burbles1

Guest ozzie

Media still reporting it as a Cessna(sunrise 0830) Photo is obvious, wheel sicking up out of low wing, aircraft is inverted. Piper.

Guest ozzie

Last light yesterday in Sydney was around 19:20hrs.(local time) News report also stated this morning that it seemed the aircraft clipped a tree on approach. But also said aircraft was 100mts away from strip. (sunrise program)

News report also stated this morning that it seemed the aircraft clipped a tree on approach. But also said aircraft was 100mts away from strip. (sunrise program)

I heard the same report. I fly through Moree reasonably often and use it as a fuel stop. If they did clip a tree they must have been way too low or short of the strip. It's a long way from the threshold of 19 to the trees. The approach to 01 is about as clear as you could wish for. If it was dark 05/23 is not lit so unlikely to be using it.

Wish the 2 that got through it a speedy recovery.

Guest Swanny

Never good to hear that an aircraft has gone in, our thoughts are with the families and survivors. I pray that the doctors have the best available equipment and they find and fix all injuries. Get well quick Guys.

Guest ozzie

Seven news tonight had eye witness who was sitting outside his caravan at the time said aircraft passed low enough overhead to read the 'writing' on the wing. Wreckage was 100 meters from the trees and campers at the caravan park. So if it was around 8pm it would have been just about dark at Moree then. (it's 7.45 at sydney now and it's dark, dark) Another said engine sounded rough. Wreckage looked like it had hit nose first and folded at the firewall and the pax compartment went over the engine. rough engine and no fire. (I know don't summerise).

Sad outcome to a great day flying.

This one hit a little too close to home. The pilot was in the same industry as I am, and we had worked togeather on various jobs over the years. The passengers are related to one of my employee's. Very sad to what should have been a good day out.

Guest Jake.f

My cousin is temporarily living in in that caravan park whilst looking for work out there, so he saw it all unfold. Said it was an utterly horrible thing to watch.

The Courier Mail reports today that the deceased had connections to a company called Countrywide communications, I knew the owners from many years ago- My condolscences to the families and Mark if he follows this thread.

I read the Paper this morning.A terrible loss, especially with so many members from the same family.

Guest basscheffers

No need to speculate about light, that's easy to look up! 7pm local is end of civil twilight, 8pm would have been dark as.

Coming too low is a common error in night landings. I would expect ATSB to initially focus on his night rating and currency.

Guest ozzie

Honestly I feel for the family but i'll ask this. If they were killed and injured in a car accident, would it be recieving the same attention as it is now?

No it wouldn't ozzie, but that is part of the fascination of flying (certainly for the PRESS anyhow). I think we kill about 1200 per annum on the roads, ( And how much hoo hah and fines and restrictions there) and about 10,000 per year on medical misadventure with hardly a mention. The figure is around 600,000 in the states. ( 3 Jumbo jets a day).. Nev

Guest Maj Millard

Additionally aluminum aircraft are simple not designed for hitting the ground. Automobiles do at least have some crash resistance designed into them...................Maj...

Guest ozzie
was this CFIT, or was there any suggestion of mechanical problems?

Hildy, usually damage of this sort results in a post crash fire. the engine has folded back under the aircraft so this will mean extensive damage to the fuel lines and in the Pipers case the silly gas percolator/strainer that is fitted to the lower part of the fire wall. There was no fire and on ground wittness commented on "banging" from the engine. Could this have been backfiring/ surging as engine began running out of fuel? At the end of flight this could be a possibility or pilot may not have selected the best tank. These models Piper can only suck from one at a time. CFIT, hard one. It was a clear evening but there should have been some reference from lights in the surrounding area and caravan park. Aircraft was also reported to be low in circuit maybe incorrect setting for QNH. This and a loss of power is my bet. Of course all speculation but i just can't help myself trying to find a cause then comparing it to the report.

Date: 31-Mar-2011

First-light: 1946 UTC

Last-light: 0823 UTC

I don't think darkness was the issue. In my night spraying experience in the same area, you still have a horizon for a good amount of time after last light, which here was 19:23. Unfortunately, it sounds like mechanical as has been said here before. Just my thoughts. Rod.