Something new and exciting at last!

At last something new and exciting. Albeit out of most pilots reach.

But these guys know how to build aeroplanes. 080_plane.gif.36548049f8f1bc4c332462aa4f981ffb.gif

The first aircraft from Pipistrel's coming Panthera line will carry four people and full fuel for more than 1000 nautical miles, with reserves, at 202 KTAS, while burning 10 gallons per hour -- and it may be the least efficient of the Panthera line.

http://www.pipistrel.si/plane/panthera/overview

Guest studentbiggles
At last something new and exciting. Albeit out of most pilots reach.But these guys know how to build aeroplanes. 080_plane.gif.36548049f8f1bc4c332462aa4f981ffb.gif

The first aircraft from Pipistrel's coming Panthera line will carry four people and full fuel for more than 1000 nautical miles, with reserves, at 202 KTAS, while burning 10 gallons per hour -- and it may be the least efficient of the Panthera line.

http://www.pipistrel.si/plane/panthera/overview[/quote]107_score_010.gif.2fa64cd6c3a0f3d769ce8a3c21d3ff90.gif

Simply Stunning.................023_drool.gif.742e7c8f1a60ca8d1ec089530a9d81db.gif....Beautiful design, shame I can't make Oskosh this year so as to have a really good close up look 051_crying.gif.fe5d15edcc60afab3cc76b2638e7acf3.gif......Alley

Guest Howard Hughes
Will be around the high $200,000 mark.

I'll keep saving, I'm only about 200k short...004_oh_yeah.gif.82b3078adb230b2d9519fd79c5873d7f.gif

Great looking aircraft and if it live up to the specs, very useful!:thumb_up:

Guest turnbase

Interesting concept. The first to offer consumer electric systems to boot.

I'll have to keep saving to. $200K sounds cheap compared to what is offered in the same performance category.

• 4 years later...

Not sure what the current status is. Significant challenges arose from changing to the io540 from io390. Recently pipistrel has won a big govt contract for their trainers so that may also be contributing to the delays. Would be good to see this come to market although the last price I saw was 450k+ usd so it will be right up there with a sr22, so not really a game changer in that respect.

Having watched the video a few time I am more convinced that it isn't water vapor but fuel leaking out the vents. The vapor trails seen on the wings of a fighter jet or the flaps of a landing commercial airliner are caused by the low pressure cooling the air causing the water vapor to condense. This occurs when the wing is working at very high loads/angles of attack.

In the spin video the trail occurs first and is most pronounced on the inside wing. That wing is stalled (otherwise the spin would stop) and so wont be generating a significant low pressure above.

If this design has tanks vents in the tips then the spinning wings will fling the fuel to the tip during the sustained spin and possibly leaking overboard.

• Agree 2

It wouldn't leak evenly, (unless you were set up just right) Why would fuel leak from both sides if 3/4 full? I suggest it is from the vortexes at the winglets. IF there is any cloud at the same height the dew point is not far off ambient at that level.

Regarding the crack at Cirrus... Why wouldn't you? Pulling out after the plane has settled into a spin is harder than just doing one turn and then recovering. Cirrus are spinning alright. Nev

Elaborate then. You always experience normal "G" in an upright spin and it's not much above normal. If you skid for long enough you might get fuel transfer and it would come from ONE side, but it's NOT likely to happen in the time available. Nev

Wing tips are still doing their job via washout, nice cloudy humid day too. Areas of high pressure moving to low pressure. Francesco might be able to help here. No soup for you!

Elaborate then. You always experience normal "G" in an upright spin and it's not much above normal. If you skid for long enough you might get fuel transfer and it would come from ONE side, but it's NOT likely to happen in the time available. Nev

New,

Get 2 cups 3/4 full of water(Ozzie you can use soup if you like, just not too hot or you will burn yourself), hold one in each hand, extend your arms horizontaly out to the side and spin on the spot. The water will be flung to the outside and end up on the floor if you spin fast enough.. The only reason you experience normal g in a spin is because you are on the center line everything away from the centreiline is flung to the outside of the spin.

From the video the the spin rate is about 2 seconds per revolution. This is about 3 radians per second. Fuel in a tank 1.2m from the center line would "feel" an acceleration of about 3^2*1.2=10.8m/s^2 wich is about 1g. Further from the centre of rotation this will be greater. The fuel in a wing will be at the outer end of the tank in a spin.

The dihedral that many low wing aircraft have mean that the logical place for the wing tank vents is at their outboard end. This puts the vent at the highest point in the tank in normal flight which is great as it prevents fuel running out when parked. It does mean that in a spin a small amount will be lost if the spin goes for many turns as was done here.

This is also a consideration for gliders with water ballast tanks in the wings. In a sustained spin the water moves to the outer end and is lost overboard though the vent.

In the video it could be water vapor condensation but I am suspicious as the low pressure required to condense the water vapour is a consequence of the wing generating high amounts of lift which the tips are unlikely to be doing here.

• Agree 2

Watched it a few more times, Nobody may be right if the vents are there on the tips. Went to the website and fired off an email asking where the vents are.

After watching the footage again and looking at the still photos, I is impressed, what a well designed aircraft. I like the doors easy in and out for the rear seats and great rollover protection with quick release for the doors. Looks like it has a BRS system as well. So well mannered in that spin not even bobbing away just sits there round and round then center controls and one turn out. Nice. I was looking for the behavior of the vapor on the tips but the resolution is not high enough to see if it is a liquid venting being heavier than vapor it would spray around untidily, but it does stop as soon as the aircraft stops turning. Watching when it starts does seem to correspond to the cloud level. If it was venting i would expect it to start a little earlier tho.