OzRunways 2.0 now available!

Guest OzRunways

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Been testing out the Ozrunways. Love it. I bought a GNS 5870 MFI bluetooth GPS. WOrks a treat. About $130

PS Ozrunway guys if you have not already considered it this would work great for marine navigation also and would need very little modifications.

Cheers, Jim

• 2 months later...

Is anyone using a 3G iPad in the cockpit and finding it good enough for Nav?

I bought a Wifi ipad, but am really missing the ability to "just use it", rather than powering up my 3G Wifi modem, think about buying a Bluetooth GPS, make sure all of them are charged, etc. I'm thinking about buying a 3G iPad when next over in the states, but would hate to do so, and then find it just can't get a reliable fix in the cockpit (Foxbat).

D

Guest OzRunways

Unless you are flying an airliner at FL360 with heated windshield, chances are you will get a connection. :)

A friend of mine (and also OzRunways beta tester) has a Foxbat and doesn't have any problems. (iPad 1, 3G) He's even created a panel mount for his iPad!

Bas.

OK, that's a good sign - thanks :-)

@Mark: I can do that - and do - but like I say, two (or 3 including the GPS) devices to charge, two devices to run down. I've just got back from a day at the beach while reading the online Tutorials for my nav exam, during which I managed to run down all of my iPad, iPhone, 5AH charger, and 3G dongle. (Just waiting for the iPhone to charge back up enough to have some music during my evening run.)

If I get the 3G iPad, I don't have to worry about carrying cables for USB-miniUSB (GPS), USB-iPhone, USB-iPad and 3-way mains-USB adapter to charge the whole lot from dead overnight, if I travel away from home!!

Hi damoski,

I use the Bad Elf GPS (see earlier post), plugs into base of iPad and uses it's power, and I use the iPhone hotspot for data access. I have downloaded all necessary maps to the iPad and full ERSA so very little 3G required. One charger in the bag does both iPad and iPhone.

• 3 weeks later...

Got myself an iPad 2 today... had an issue with my OzRunways subscription (MY FAULT), sent an e-mail to support, walked to fridge and back to computer... problem solved... e-mail in my inbox advising the same. Thanks Rowan. Simply outstanding service.

Was at a meeting with a couple of CASA staff just now. At the end of it I mentioned my iPhone with OzRunways. Apparently they have decided that it meets the reg for carrying documents - the context of the discussion (and it was only a very brief discussion) was me who is only day VFR - if I was ramp checked then I could tick all those boxes if I showed the required documents on my iPhone.They said that there will be a CAAP on Electronic Flight Bags shortly.

Tonight when I was at the Archrfield Safety seminar I brought up the subject of Electronic Flight Bags and they said the iPad/iPhone (or android if you like to be different) are classed as "Electronic Chart Depiction" not EFB's. I can't really see the difference but there not approved for navigation etc, only for charts and books, that nomally go in your flight bag???

Yeah what is the difference I wonder...? Sounds like they were making it up based on personal opinion, or are in the know 022_wink.gif.2137519eeebfc3acb3315da062b6b1c1.gif Laptop PC's were what started the whole EFB phenomena I understand. As of October CASA were still evaluating it and their documentations inevitably always refers to the iPad as an EFB? What is 'approved for navigation', where is that defined?... I thought it was the pilot who was approved for navigation, do they have a list of what is approved or is it a blanket description? Doubt it... hard to keep up with the approvals on that one. Redundant argument in any case, have a map (with route marked), compass whiz wheel and watch and use your 'unapproved' iPad.

.... they said the iPad/iPhone (or android if you like to be different) are classed as "Electronic Chart Depiction" not EFB's. I can't really see the difference .....

seems that they have invented that new term to clarify that no other approval is required to use it - an EFB is classified as an aircraft component

Guest OzRunways
Sometimes I wish I had a voice recorder. It was something about the GPS chip.

The GPS in the iPad, like any portable and non-TSO-129 or better aviation GPS like the Garmin 295, etc. are not approved to be used as sole reference for navigation.

That doesn't mean you can't use them as tool in VFR flight, but your primary means of getting a "fix" is ground reference.

This is separate to the issue of whether you can use just apps like OzRunways as maps and documents and we are eagerly awaiting a CASA ruling on that.

Yep... can comment with respect to open daylight direct sunlight (Drifter cockpit) which is probably the worst environment for them, having used them in closed cockpits as well. It works, but nothing like the clarity you get out of the direct sun.. lets say about 30% clarity of what you usually get with it out of the sun. they are still usable you just lose the finer details, I can still see place names etc. You can really change that by just the angle you have it set (cf. sun) at which can get you to over 80% of what it can provide easy. You definitely need an anti glare screen cover... some are better than others. Next... turn up screen brightness as far as it will go. If you can do something as simple as a glare shield that will help immensely. Bright cockpit you can sort it no problems.

• 4 months later...

Hi Ozrunways guys

Have you considered putting a editable list in the app to allow the pilot to create his own pre start and pre takeoff etc checklists. Some GPS units have this function but to have it in OZ runways would be a advantage I would certainly use it

Mark

Hi Ozrunways guysHave you considered putting a editable list in the app to allow the pilot to create his own pre start and pre takeoff etc checklists. Some GPS units have this function but to have it in OZ runways would be a advantage I would certainly use it

Mark

Will put it on the list. Thanks for the suggestion Mark.

The Future of Air Navigation is Here

Know where you’re going. And how to get there.

We are very proud to announce the availability of OzRunways 2.0! Get it now from the App Store.

More information here:

http://www.ozrunways.com/site/2011/06/ozrunways-2-0-available-now/

Please remember to buy/renew your subscription on our website!

Only days ago, Apple quietly dropped the requirement of equal prices for in-app and out of app payments. Because for in-app Apple takes 30%, we have increased the prices for in-app purchases. To get the advertised prices of $75 for private and $110 for pro, just renew on the website. Easy.

Thanks so much for your support over the past 6 months!

Rowan, Neil and Bas.

Hi guys

How is the Android version coming along?

This app is awesome and is only going to get better. Having this great discussion with all the suggestions from fellow pilots, just goes to show how good it is. Top work congrats!