First tailwheel flight

Well I finaly did it, I had a go in a tailwheel. It was very interesting if not a little scary at first, the Lightwing has a 80 Hp engine so it was a little sluggish off the mark but seemed to lift off faster than the 100 Hp nosewheel i normaly fly. taxiing was'nt to much trouble, we ended up doing touch & goes with general airwork to get used to the aircraft. All up I had heaps of fun & will continue to get the hang of it, although I would like it to have a bit more power.

Pete

Well done Pete, whereabouts are you flying? It has been on my to do list for a while, but unfortunately the Cub that I had just got my hands on, disappeared down south after my first flight.051_crying.gif.fe5d15edcc60afab3cc76b2638e7acf3.gif I may have to come look you up to further my education.

Well done Pete, whereabouts are you flying? It has been on my to do list for a while, but unfortunately the Cub that I had just got my hands on, disappeared down south after my first flight.051_crying.gif.fe5d15edcc60afab3cc76b2638e7acf3.gif I may have to come look you up to further my education.

I'm learning at Coominya, about 30 minutes from ipswich, John does a great job he's got lots of time to help you through the hard bits.

Pete

Well I finaly did it, I had a go in a tailwheel. It was very interesting if not a little scary at first, the Lightwing has a 80 Hp engine so it was a little sluggish off the mark but seemed to lift off faster than the 100 Hp nosewheel i normaly fly. taxiing was'nt to much trouble, we ended up doing touch & goes with general airwork to get used to the aircraft. All up I had heaps of fun & will continue to get the hang of it, although I would like it to have a bit more power.Pete

I also had my first run in a tail dragger (Lightwing) today. Very interesting. We have about 1000 metre strip. On my first takeoff I reckon I did 1000 metres in the first 50 metres. After about 5 T&G I started to get the hang of it. We'll see how things go after a couple of weeks to digest all that did not go well. I find some time away to think about the experience and analyse the results and concepts works well for me. Good luck Pete8862.

Did my first flight in a nosewheel aircraft for about 6 years today. Did my BFR in a Jab, LSA. It had me working hard, it was OK on the ground for control, but seemed so sloppy in the air. Nice for a change though.

Well I finaly did it, I had a go in a tailwheel. It was very interesting if not a little scary at first, the Lightwing has a 80 Hp engine so it was a little sluggish off the mark but seemed to lift off faster than the 100 Hp nosewheel i normaly fly. taxiing was'nt to much trouble, we ended up doing touch & goes with general airwork to get used to the aircraft. All up I had heaps of fun & will continue to get the hang of it, although I would like it to have a bit more power.Pete

Great stuff, Pete. All the jokes and BS aside, a TD does keep you on your toes - literally - and sharpens up your general flying practice, anyway.

I like the Lightwing even though it is a little slow. I think Hughes builds nice aircraft and these all seem really robust and well thought out. If I lose my medical, one of these would keep me happy.

Hughes probably doesn't know it but he and I are related. I'd like to get to Ballina one day before one of us drops off their perch.

kaz

The Ops Manual has provision for flight reviews of pilots who fly single seaters. There is some scope for doing the review in a different type as long as the ifs and buts are satisfied. Similar to but more sensible than the CASA rules for GA flight reviews where it can be done in a single seater especially considering the rule about doing it in a type that you've flown the most in recently.

• 4 weeks later...
I'm learning at Coominya, about 30 minutes from ipswich, John does a great job he's got lots of time to help you through the hard bits.Pete

Hey Pete. Im going for a TIF at Coominya tomorrow. Do they change the gear on the Sport2000? Or is there more than one plane? I'm not sure if I'm going up with John or Kent but im sure it will be a great day.

The Corby was temporarily indisposed when I managed to get an instructor to do my flight review, so I used what he came in. While it is perfectly legal to do a BFR in a single seater, I think doing it dual will help get rid of any bad habits. I have flown a Jab before but total time would be less that 2 hours over more than 10 years.

Hey Pete. Im going for a TIF at Coominya tomorrow. Do they change the gear on the Sport2000? Or is there more than one plane? I'm not sure if I'm going up with John or Kev but im sure it will be a great day.

They have two planes, it does'nt matter which one of the guys you go up with i've been up with both and they are good instuctors. I'm hoping to have a fly on Sunday

I went up today with John in the nose wheel. He was doing circuits with another student in the tail dragger when I got there. It was great fun and John was really nice. Im going to start doing lessons next Sunday. It has a great atmosphere at the BBQ area and I was there for about an hour after my lesson having a cuppa and a chat. I'll probably see you around.

I went up today with John in the nose wheel. He was doing circuits with another student in the tail dragger when I got there. It was great fun and John was really nice. Im going to start doing lessons next Sunday. It has a great atmosphere at the BBQ area and I was there for about an hour after my lesson having a cuppa and a chat. I'll probably see you around.

Yes as i said they are a great crew with a good setup, good to hear you enjoyed it.I have just organized my flight for tomorrow, probably go to Kilcoy & Watts.

Pete

Sounds like a great place to do a tail wheel endorsement... that would have to work pretty well having a nose and tail wheel Lightwing when students want an endorsement... I guess you could learn to fly the aircraft before learning to fly it with the little wheel?

Sounds like a great place to do a tail wheel endorsement... that would have to work pretty well having a nose and tail wheel Lightwing when students want an endorsement... I guess you could learn to fly the aircraft before learning to fly it with the little wheel?

Hi Winsor,

Very handy to get use to nose wheel first, I wish the tailwheel had a bit more power but it's not to bad. John has a Cessna 180 as his own plane so he does like taildraggers.

I have to get my x country out the way before I do any more, should be this week or next.

They also have the use of a Jabiru.

Pete