ASIC Cards

Good evening all,

Could someone please help and tell me at which airports one must display an ASAIC card. Is there a list somewhere or how does 1 check? This mat be a silly question but all I can find on the "official" sites is how I must wear it and how I can be locked up and fined if I dont!!!

I understood that it was at all airports where RPT ops took place but was also told there are some exceptions to this rule and have also been told I need to where it at Archerfield by some and others say no???

Too much grey here, need black and white!!!

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

DB

Gday DB , a good guide is the ERSA. If you look under the remarks heading you will se a comment "This AD is a security controlled airport. "

If there you need to display your ASIC.

Regards BPN

when one rocks into xyz "security" aerodrome, asic card hanging on it's string around your neck, how does one find out that strips gate code if you is all alone there ????

getting out is easy.............it's getting back in that's the prob

code is usually marked somewhere on the airside side on or near the gate....CTAF freq is the code at a few 'secured' airports I've been to.......:thumb_up:

This has been the case at some aerodromes however, OTS (Office of Transport Security) now require the codes be changed every six months.

We have been pinged recently on this at the aerodrome I run here in the Kimberley.

Cheers

OTS (Office of Transport Security) now require the codes be changed every six months.

Which is a real let down, especially when you have all the codes in your code book for a list of places, then you come to need it and find it's been changed... 040_nerd.gif.a6a4f823734c8b20ed33654968aaa347.gif

What is the deal with ASIC's that have an airport name on them rather than AUS? Surely an ASIC is an ASIC...?

Hi Win68,

An ASIC with the aerodrome location on it e.g GYL is for those staff who require the ASIC to work at that aerodrome ONLY and it is NOT valid any where else as there is no requirement for that person to hold an AUS ASIC. I don't know if the back ground security checks are as strong as that for an AUS issue.

Cheers

Damn! The requirement and cost is the same... that's whey I question why they are only valid for one airport... I smell a rat... how can an ASIC valid for one port only cost the same as an Australia wide one? ... Will have to upgrade mine to an AUS... fortunately its due soon.

Good evening all,Could someone please help and tell me at which airports one must display an ASAIC card. Is there a list somewhere or how does 1 check? This mat be a silly question but all I can find on the "official" sites is how I must wear it and how I can be locked up and fined if I dont!!!

I understood that it was at all airports where RPT ops took place but was also told there are some exceptions to this rule and have also been told I need to where it at Archerfield by some and others say no???

Too much grey here, need black and white!!!

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

DB

From CASA website

NOTE: Some airports are classed as security controlled but do not have RPT operations. An ASIC is not required at these airports.

Essendon and Moorabbin airports have an area for RPT operations that is designated as security controlled and an ASIC is required. The remainder of the airport is not security controlled and an ASIC is not required. If you have any queries regarding whether or not an ASIC is required at a particular airport, or in a specific area of a particular airport, you should contact the airport direct or contact the Department of Infrastructure, Transport, Regional Development and Local Government.

ASIC is not required at Archerfield

Firstly thanks for the replies but must say I am still confused and so are some of my fellow aviators going by the replies received.

Lets look at Archerfield where I mostly operate out of. Looked it up in the trusty ERSA and yes, in Black & White it tells me it is secutity controlled AD but when you read the CASA website, it contrdicts this as there are no RPT ops and then the Goverment Infrustructure site contracicts this again!???

Bugger I'll just spend the money and renew the thing:ranting:

P.S.: Read the post on Airport Security, really makes having an ASIC card worthwhile:laugh:

From CASA websiteNOTE: Some airports are classed as security controlled but do not have RPT operations. An ASIC is not required at these airports.

Essendon and Moorabbin airports have an area for RPT operations that is designated as security controlled and an ASIC is required. The remainder of the airport is not security controlled and an ASIC is not required. If you have any queries regarding whether or not an ASIC is required at a particular airport, or in a specific area of a particular airport, you should contact the airport direct or contact the Department of Infrastructure, Transport, Regional Development and Local Government.

ASIC is not required at Archerfield

The aerodrome I look after is designated a Security Controlled Airport. We have many jet services (F100's) a week but all these flights are Charter flights with the exception of a RPT flight through on Fridays. The staff only have to hold and display an ASIC for the period of this flight.

Cheers

Bankstown is also security controlled without RPT. I don't know what the rules are but it may be things like distance from CBD, alternate to a major airport, traffic density, economic impact.

Guest Andys@coffs
Bankstown is also security controlled without RPT. I don't know what the rules are but it may be things like distance from CBD, alternate to a major airport, traffic density, economic impact.

Or, just maybe, based on a Government need to "do something...anything" there may be no logic to it at all.

The reality is the terrorist won. They completely f'd up this aspect of our lives for no real gain as security is illusionary. As we saw many years ago when a LPG semi exploded in spain if you want a big bang, that one is hard to beat, if you only want a small bang fly a jab into a building.

As others have already suggested, if you are a group of one going into the departure area where there has been a big break before, you can guarentee explosives trace testing, if, being a bad critter, you tagged onto the back of a group going into the departure lounge after noone else you can almost guarentee that #1 will be tested while #2-5+ will wander through untested. To be effective there needs to be at least a random approach to picking who gets tested. I travel every 2-4wks with work at least 4 segments each time and cringe every time I see it. I feel very sorry for the people doing the work. A policeman has an expectation that in his work he will from time to time find people doing the wrong thing, pressumably providing interest and variability in his job. Last I checked there wasnt a steady stream of terrorists being detected by the security screening folk, just folk who dont travel often getting caught with shoes that have metal strips in them (why the hell do shoe manufacturwers continue to do this????) and the other niffnaff that is a security risk...apparently

Andy

Firstly thanks for the replies but must say I am still confused and so are some of my fellow aviators going by the replies received.Lets look at Archerfield where I mostly operate out of. Looked it up in the trusty ERSA and yes, in Black & White it tells me it is secutity controlled AD but when you read the CASA website, it contrdicts this as there are no RPT ops and then the Goverment Infrustructure site contracicts this again!???

Bugger I'll just spend the money and renew the thing:ranting:

P.S.: Read the post on Airport Security, really makes having an ASIC card worthwhile:laugh:

I don't wear my ASIC at Archerfield... and have never been questioned. But they're handy all the same so renewing it isn't such a bad idea anyway. Places like Toowoomba are pretty fussy with it.

The aerodrome I look after is designated a Security Controlled Airport. We have many jet services (F100's) a week but all these flights are Charter flights with the exception of a RPT flight through on Fridays. The staff only have to hold and display an ASIC for the period of this flight.Cheers

Hi Av8r... you are based at Gunedah Airport? Interesting...

ps T...u gotta wear it!

To be honest I haven't seen many at AF visibly wear it, I usually have mine on me, just in my pocket so it doesn't strangle me!

This has been the case at some aerodromes however, OTS (Office of Transport Security) now require the codes be changed every six months.We have been pinged recently on this at the aerodrome I run here in the Kimberley.

Cheers

Hi ave8rr

Whereabouts in the Kimberly are you? Do you have a website?

Last two places I haven't flown into are the remote Kimberley and Arnhem Land. One of the big problems for me is I only carry 120 litres fuel and this gives me 3hr20m to silence which is not a lot of distance at 100 knots.

I know it's silly, but I am really reluctant to carry a spare container in the cockpit with me... even though I am sitting on the belly tank and the scuttle main is over my knees.

What's the nearest place for fuel to you and do you keep avgas? Bulk or drums?

Thanks

kaz