Aircraft not getting used?

Tomo

Hey Tommo, maybe you could charge people to fly their planes for them a couple of times a year to keep things from seizing up.But knowing you, providing this service for free is more in your character.

Thanks Pete, I couldn't charge people, and wouldn't anyway.

I got a GSX750f in the garage I don't ride much gathering dust Tomo... Do you ride bikes? It needs to get out and have a good run.

I ride the odd bike I work on to test them, but that's about it! Not really a road bike rider, x-trail is a little more fun, and you don't have cars trying to kill you. 031_loopy.gif.e6c12871a67563904dadc7a0d20945bf.gif

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As you can see from my list, we have a number of planes - too many for one busy couple - but accumulated over years. Someone to take an interest would have saved several from being relegated to the end of the list for maintenance (behind cars, plant, houses etc).My C152 hasn't done many hours in 12 months and none this year (long story). Fully insured for hire & training. Will refurbish & re-paint soon.

The RANs is at a distant airstrip where we could get a hangar (7hrs drive away) but gets a good run when we visit, which is about 3-4 times a year, although most of our contact time with this aircraft, his latest build, is spent fine tuning - hunting down vibrations, moving oil cooler, replacing tubing etc.

The Lightwing was bought for the sons to learn (they lost interest) and is on loan to a bloke who hardly flies it. Hangared 7 hrs away

The Karasport is in our backyard in a trailer waiting for a thorough inspection of cables.

The Scout needs recovering before being re-registered - He got too heavy, but I could fly it. Stored 8 hours drive away.

The Turbulent is in pieces because all the glue joints need re-doing before re-registering. Also 8 hours away.

Bought a partly completed Sonerai kit for the son (can't fly) who wanted it and who hasn't touched it, who's looking to sell.

The Whisky plans have not progressed much and I doubt he will end up building that - he's working on his own design, on CAD.

Shed full of bits accumulated over time, packed in so solid I didn't realise there was a car under there. Lots of stuff from the early days of ultralights. The family never throw anything out.

We run our engines regularly, but just don't get the time to go flying much. Part of the problem is not being able to get a hangar in the town we live in. The Council wanted double what the hangar and plane was worth in infrastructure upgrades to their airport (taxiways, apron, drainage, services) before they would allow us to build a hangar which would revert to their ownership in 20 years.

When we retire, (when??) the plan is to move closer (or get our own strip) and fly them more. And yes, it does cost us a lot to keep them on the register, insured, maintained etc - dead money. And inactivity does bring its problems. We have both worked all our lives and bikes & planes were his passion.

A Tomo type offer / expression of interest, would have been the catalyst we needed to keep our steeds in the air.

080_plane.gif.36548049f8f1bc4c332462aa4f981ffb.gif

Sue

G'day Sue, gotta catch up with you two sometime for sure. Would love to spend a week or so and help you get some of those great planes up to scratch! Where is your 152 hangered at the moment, in Springsure or Childers?

Have you called up your local banks/finance companys etc to get a loan, or a quote for a loan?

No, because I know I could get a loan easy enough. But I'm saving to get a piece of land first so I have something that isn't dead money, once you buy materialistic things it's very hard to purchase an investment afterwards.

It's how my Dad eventually got back in the air. A friend of the family said, "I can't keep up the hours because of my health going up and down. If you pay for the fuel, you can take my Cessna 210 out any time you like!"

It's hard to turn down an offer like that! 020_yes.gif.58d361886eb042a872e78a875908e414.gif

Hi Tomo if you where in victoria you could take my skyfox for a run it doesnt do enough in the air l mainly fly the drifter mainly due to the run way we have very short 180 mts no suitable for the fox.

What a pity you're not over my side of Vic! I'd happily keep it clean and up to date for 'ya, Skyfox! 022_wink.gif.2137519eeebfc3acb3315da062b6b1c1.gif

• Like 1

Guest SAJabiruflyer
No, because I know I could get a loan easy enough. But I'm saving to get a piece of land first so I have something that isn't dead money, once you buy materialistic things it's very hard to purchase an investment afterwards.

Now THAT is an outstanding attitude, if you keep that up over your life you'll go far. :thumb_up:

Guest Maj Millard

Viz,I so want to visit you folks in Springsure some time, you definitly sound like my type of people !.........I've dropped in on Tomo and his great family a couple of times, and that is certainly worth the trip also

Tomo, good on you for putting it out there, no harm in asking at all, hope it pans out for you.

Over the years I have flown a lot of free time in other peoples' aircraft, generally connected with my level 2 work. If they offer, I'll strap it on, if I like the look of the aircraft. It's a bit hard to say no if you've just done an inspection and service on it, isn't it ? !! Over the years due to my travels, I've flown around twelve different Slepcev Storches. I have only knocked back a fly in a Storch once as the strip was along a ridge top, the wind was across the ridge and gusting, and barb wire fences ran down each side of the strip way to close. Certain limits have to be observed when it's not your machine.

I flew a friends Storch two weeks ago at Ayr airport, and I'd almost forgotten just what a fun machine they are.

Rich guys are the way to go Tomo, they buy the nice machines and don't fly them much, as they also have lots of other toys to play with.

I got about 50 free Tecnam P92 hours this way, and also got onto the 912 Lightwing that I currently own, at way below original purchase price.

There is a nice Taildragger 912 Pelican for sale up here at the moment, should be in the current magazine. The owner built the aircraft well, and is retiring from flying due to onset of parkinsons. I know the aircraft and can give it the big thumbs up:thumb_up:....certainly if you can get it for the right price..............would be a nice little plane for you Tomo !...................................................................................................Maj...

G'day Sue, gotta catch up with you two sometime for sure. Would love to spend a week or so and help you get some of those great planes up to scratch! Where is your 152 hangered at the moment, in Springsure or Childers?

The C152 is sitting at Springsure, out in the weather, about 600m from home, so we go look at it regularly and he always says "Your poor plane ..." It was out on hire but I brought it back. Instructors are few, so I tried doing my BFR, but on the day, got beaten by hornets in the pitot tube and other minor issues, then darkness and the instructor moved on, so I can't fly it until I find the time and a GA instructor. Meanwhile it is due for a 100hrly and I have to get it to Longreach. The Bureaucrat in the Council, who was intent on making his first million out of our hangar proposal, has retired, so we are going to try applying again. That will make the re-painting worthwhile as we can get it out of the weather and bring our RANS up too, so we can both go flying. We own 2 hangars at Childers for which we pay $200 a year each on the Club lease. So our costs aren't high while we're still working.

The C152 is looking sad, so while I have had interest from flying schools, it isn't in a condition (cosmetic only) that I would be happy to hire it in. The husband wants me to get some enjoyment out of it. As a couple we love seeing other people enjoying flying. That's why he has lent his Lightwing to a flying instructor, but it still only does 10 hours a year and we receive nothing from it. When we are see it there is always work to be done. The only flying he's managed in it was his BFR last year. I was hoping to finish my RAA conversion and tail wheel in this plane (which I started in 2003) but the guy who has it isn't interested.

I agree with you Tomo, invest in the things that grow first, then something that is an indulgence. All our planes were bought for cash out of our excess. There's no money to be made in aircraft (well, most of the time).

Right now we are working on our forklift installing the ram with the seals renewed, remade hoses, machining new rods and doing other minor adjustments (planes had to move down the queue again ...) so I have the sweet smell of Eau-de-grees and finger nails that a goth would be proud of. Everything we own is aging and needing attention (including the better half).

016_ecstatic.gif.156a811a440b493b0c2bea54e43be5cc.gif

Sue

So Tomo, how much are you going to charge them to fly their planes? Keep up the optimism and I reckon you may get a taker. Are you tail wheel and HP endorsed?

Yep, agree with Darky! :big_grin: Can't charge anyone, and it's no business so why would I want too!

Yes endorsed on TW, HP, LP, NW, 2S, etc... in RAA and TW, RG, CSU in GA, no twin yet 049_sad.gif.af5e5c0993af131d9c5bfe880fbbc2a0.gif

Right now we are working on our forklift installing the ram with the seals renewed, remade hoses, machining new rods and doing other minor adjustments (planes had to move down the queue again ...) so I have the sweet smell of Eau-de-grees and finger nails that a goth would be proud of. Everything we own is aging and needing attention (including the better half).016_ecstatic.gif.156a811a440b493b0c2bea54e43be5cc.gif

Sue

Did that to a Caterpillar forklift the other day so know the feeling! 003_cheezy_grin.gif.c5a94fc2937f61b556d8146a1bc97ef8.gif I wash the dishes at night usually which keeps the finger nails fairly clean 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

If we can work out how to get me back from Longreach... and first to your place, you got yourself a pilot 080_plane.gif.36548049f8f1bc4c332462aa4f981ffb.gif

Tomo, over the years i've managed to score rides and time in many aircraft. Working on airports and aircraft helps. A lot of good quality experience gained along the way. Flown with some interesting pilots. But nearly all the time i had to ask. Don't ask ya don't get. Common sense will tell you when to knock one back.

ozzie

Haha, thanks guys.A wash and a fly for an hour or two once a month or so, does an aircraft a lot of good.

I see, it's a bit like a doggy walking service for planes! Do you have a boat licence too? Mine is stuck in the hangar, taking up valuable room and money, the run and wash treatment sounds excellent. Come to that, the doggy walking bit would work too... two Bullies could do with the exercise. And while I'm on a roll.... I think our paddocks would do well from a monthly seeing to with the ride-on, it would kepp the mower in good nick, and make the grass look nice. Great idea Tomo, when can you start?

PS, when you finish that lot, perhaps you could see your way clear to finishing off building my plane so I can go flying a couple of hours a month!080_plane.gif.36548049f8f1bc4c332462aa4f981ffb.gif

Regards, Redair.

And yes, I'm not proud, I will take any chance I can to cadge a flight.

Ok... I won't give any details away... but a few years ago someone posted on an aviation forum (can't remember which one) asking if anyone had an aeroplane collecting dust that anyone didn't want... Guess what!!! That person now owns an aeroplane!!!!

If you don't ask.....

• Like 1

Sorry Tomo, I stand by my original comments and while you are not trying to rip people off (of course you would never do that), to me it seems as though you are trying to get whatever you can for free. It sounds as though you do have the money to hire or buy, but you have different priorities.

How would you like it if someone said hey, I like your house, I'll live there for free when you go out because I can't afford to buy/insure/maintain my own house while I'm saving up for a new car, and I'm trying to avoid renting because that stops me from saving for the car. If a friend asks you to fly, that is a different story, but 'advertising' on a public forum is certainly not in the spirit of private flight. Be careful there.

If you are hell bent on the idea, make sure you see the insurance documentation to comply with the policy - some may want a certain number of hours, minimum tailwheel time, x days currency etc. You are not high time and have zero GA solo tailwheel time, it might actually cost the owners money to have you included on the policy. Also ensure you have enough put away to cover the excess - just in case. Remember that these flights are not under an AOC and as you have said, if the aircraft have not flown for some time there could be issues.

There are better ways Tomo. Why not work in a flying school on weekends and be paid in flight hours in an aircraft which does fly regularly? One operating under an AOC, insured for training? Sweep floors, refuel, take bookings etc. Better still, why not invest in your CPL and be paid to fly?

Thanks Maz, I understand where you're coming from. It was just a friendly query that's all, nothing for commercial gain.

I will be glider towing on most weekends, so that's similar I suppose to working at a flight school, except there is no such thing as getting paid.

I see, it's a bit like a doggy walking service for planes! Do you have a boat licence too? Mine is stuck in the hangar, taking up valuable room and money, the run and wash treatment sounds excellent. Come to that, the doggy walking bit would work too... two Bullies could do with the exercise. And while I'm on a roll.... I think our paddocks would do well from a monthly seeing to with the ride-on, it would kepp the mower in good nick, and make the grass look nice. Great idea Tomo, when can you start?PS, when you finish that lot, perhaps you could see your way clear to finishing off building my plane so I can go flying a couple of hours a month!080_plane.gif.36548049f8f1bc4c332462aa4f981ffb.gif

Sure... except if it's not aviation I can legally charge you :cheezy grin:And yes I do have boat license, jet boat too if you have one of those!:thumb_up: But I'm not cheap! 019_victory.gif.9945f53ce9c13eedd961005fe1daf6d2.gif

As you can see from my list, we have a number of planes - too many for one busy couple - but accumulated over years. Someone to take an interest would have saved several from being relegated to the end of the list for maintenance (behind cars, plant, houses etc).My C152 hasn't done many hours in 12 months and none this year (long story). Fully insured for hire & training. Will refurbish & re-paint soon.

The RANs is at a distant airstrip where we could get a hangar (7hrs drive away) but gets a good run when we visit, which is about 3-4 times a year, although most of our contact time with this aircraft, his latest build, is spent fine tuning - hunting down vibrations, moving oil cooler, replacing tubing etc.

The Lightwing was bought for the sons to learn (they lost interest) and is on loan to a bloke who hardly flies it. Hangared 7 hrs away

The Karasport is in our backyard in a trailer waiting for a thorough inspection of cables.

The Scout needs recovering before being re-registered - He got too heavy, but I could fly it. Stored 8 hours drive away.

The Turbulent is in pieces because all the glue joints need re-doing before re-registering. Also 8 hours away.

Bought a partly completed Sonerai kit for the son (can't fly) who wanted it and who hasn't touched it, who's looking to sell.

The Whisky plans have not progressed much and I doubt he will end up building that - he's working on his own design, on CAD.

Shed full of bits accumulated over time, packed in so solid I didn't realise there was a car under there. Lots of stuff from the early days of ultralights. The family never throw anything out.

We run our engines regularly, but just don't get the time to go flying much. Part of the problem is not being able to get a hangar in the town we live in. The Council wanted double what the hangar and plane was worth in infrastructure upgrades to their airport (taxiways, apron, drainage, services) before they would allow us to build a hangar which would revert to their ownership in 20 years.

When we retire, (when??) the plan is to move closer (or get our own strip) and fly them more. And yes, it does cost us a lot to keep them on the register, insured, maintained etc - dead money. And inactivity does bring its problems. We have both worked all our lives and bikes & planes were his passion.

A Tomo type offer / expression of interest, would have been the catalyst we needed to keep our steeds in the air.

080_plane.gif.36548049f8f1bc4c332462aa4f981ffb.gif

Sue

I like so many on here, would love to have a mother like you Sue.

The adoption list starts here.

No. 1------Planey

No. 2------(Maybe Tomo)

By the way Win, that post of yours was completely uncalled for. I've spent hours and hours on this forum helping people, often to the detriment of my own family.

Ask Tomo whether he thinks there is any sour grapes. In fact, ask Tomo how many times I contacted him at Bundy, concerned about the poor weather and making sure he got home safely.

Any prejudice you think I may have is in your mind only, what on earth does religion have to do with it? As you are not aware of my own religious views, it seems a peculiar thing to post.

A a student mentor, one of my concerns is that Tomo might be put in a position where someone (no one on here) might drag out some dust covered relic from the back of the hangar and say sure, fly this. Sure it's insured and it ran just fine last time it flew.

Flying well maintained tugs is most likely a much better option!