Aircraft not getting used?

Tomo

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like so many on here, would love to have a mother like you Sue.The adoption list starts here.

No. 1------Planey

No. 2------(Maybe Tomo)

008_roflmao.gif.692a1fa1bc264885482c2a384583e343.gif Sorry guys - I'm the wicked step mother ..064_contract.gif.1ea95a0dc120e40d40f07339d6933f90.gif You need to appeal to my soft hearted husband. cold.gif.c4cdc44db1f6c401c5e88ff399ed7104.gif

But seeing as Overseas adoptions are all the rage ...

No. 1 baby.gif.168ad10e40c5845c810810951ae4106c.gif ----- Tassie?

No. 2 baby.gif.168ad10e40c5845c810810951ae4106c.gif ----- NZ ?

I am looking for child free labour to clean & paint the C152.023_drool.gif.742e7c8f1a60ca8d1ec089530a9d81db.gif

babe.gif.538cdeac3b1a1b72d121d00509ec140e.gif

Evil Woman

Sue

How would you like it if someone said hey, I like your house, I'll live there for free when you go out

sSorry Mazda if I cause you any offense... My point was that Tomo was not pushing anything upon anyone... something that your initial and subsequent posts seem to my to imply.

I found that this came out sounding a bit condescending... I am sure it was not deliberate and I am sure you do not come across this way with your students.

• Like 1

Nothing I'd hope since he doesn't have a CPL

What regulation prevents a PPL charging? A PPL is not able to fly on a commercial operation. Two different things.

I rent my aeroplane so that it does enough flying to keep it happy. It probably costs about $130/hr in direct operating costs. The going rate is about double that for private hire of an aeroplane like that. If I want it at another place for some reason I will try and get some-one to fly it for nothing but failing that I know that I will need to pay some-one to ferry it.

• Like 1

When I need to get my plane somewhere, and I am too busy, I usually pay someone to move it for me. For example, if it needs to go for a service and I decide not to take a day or three off work to sit around another town. The AME* flies the company plane out, picks up mine, and returns it. My understanding (and it could have changed) is that a PPL can fly "for reward" provided he is an employee. In this example, I pay the Maintenance Company, including aircraft hire, PPL's time, but the AME (PPL) is on hourly wages from the Company (ie its part of his job). Therefore does not need to be a CPL or work under an AOC. Now I have not done this for a few years, and I leave it up to the maintenance organisation, so it might not be the case today.

The alternative is compensating someone for sitting around for days - I pay motel, expenses, reasonable compensation for time spent away from home, fuel etc and they get a few hours flying, catching up with relatives or sightseeing. Or I pay reasonable expenses and return travel.

Fortunately, my insurance covers pilots "as approved by the CFI or the insured."

*AME - Aircraft Maintenance Engineer - an aircraft mechanic who has not completed his licence to become a LAME. It could just as easily be another employee though.

Sue

G'day Tomo, My RV9A is a typical example of an aircraft sitting in the hangar not being used. I still pay the insurance and maintenance regardless. We own the hangar but still pay a ground lease to the local council.

I would say the annual fixed costs are around $2400 for insurance, $1700 for hangar lease and about $1200 for an annual. The aircraft does get a fly every two or three months but only by a couple of pilots I know who have to go out of there way to do it. If it is good enough for them to travel then it is good enough for me to put the fuel in to have the aircraft flown rather than just sit! It is far cheaper for me to pay for some fuel than fly back from Kununurra every two or three months just to take the aircraft for a fly.

Regardless of what Mazda has been going on about re your post I think it was not unreasonable to put the question out there as there must be plenty of aircraft just sitting around in hangars due to situations such as ours.

Cheers

• Like 3

Whats wrong in asking? I now have my own aircraft that was given to me for free, all because I dared to ask. There is a Biblical quote that says "You have not because you ask not".

I like that quote P.B. It applies to all aspects of life.

Hey Tommo, maybe you could charge people to fly their planes for them a couple of times a year to keep things from seizing up.But knowing you, providing this service for free is more in your character.

039_private_eyes.gif.ee730e198261239d6248af84b953d95f.gif Careful with that advice Tomo! You would be starting a commercial operation and would need a CPL, as far as I understand. 039_private_eyes.gif.ee730e198261239d6248af84b953d95f.gif

Hi Mat its been to wet on the runway here on the flats so l been using the drifter on the hill l showed you ,

the other runway l use l trailer the fox to has been all pugged up by the cows it wont be read for a while ,once it drys out we will have to get together and go for a trip, and we cant do that until you get your finger out and finish yours.

cheers Geoff.

Tomo I like your thinking. Think of it as a "dog walking" service for aeroplanes:big_grin::big_grin:

BTW I am available, Brisbane South. GA-PPL(A) with CSU,NW, TW, RU & Turbo. Ra-Aus- HP, NW, RU, TW.

Hey, if you don,t ask you will never know:wave:

• Like 1

Hey, if you don,t ask you will never know:wave:

So while we are on it ... I'll offer a Proffessional Passenger Service for anybody who wants to "practice" flying 2-up, but can't find a willing passenger ... 004_oh_yeah.gif.82b3078adb230b2d9519fd79c5873d7f.gif

Peter

I'm sure Tomo is careful and ethical. And there is no harm in offering. It is well to remember that some engines need about 1 hours flying to thoroughly warm up the oil. A 10 minuteground run is often not enough, and if your oil temp is well below 85 degrees, the oil may retain water. This can look quite milky on the dipstick and will cause corrosion throughout the motor. Camshafts are particularly vulnerable to this in the Lycomings as they are up in the top of the crankcase. The newer aero oils are formulated to contain a corrosion inhibitor to help stop camshaft pitting. Don't run your engine with cowls off for more than a few minutes, as the air does not circulate through the cylinder fins properly. Nev

• Helpful 1

So while we are on it ... I'll offer a Proffessional Passenger Service for anybody who wants to "practice" flying 2-up, but can't find a willing passenger ... 004_oh_yeah.gif.82b3078adb230b2d9519fd79c5873d7f.gifPeter

Hmmmmm..........brave man. OK I'll call you out. I'm looking for a passenger. Altitude sickness will not be a problem. I need someone to push the branches of the trees out of the way as we fly through. When can you get here? 074_stirrer.gif.5dad7b21c959cf11ea13e4267b2e9bc0.gif

John

• Like 2

I agree with you. To be flying any plane if it is not a TW it would have to be a NW. I suppose with seaplanes and float equipped planes.......... You could have ski's too. Perhaps they are a NW. No Wheels. "Oh it's ALL so complex, I'm not sure I can cope". Nev

Another famous last words.... "wonder what happens when you operate this switch ".

I agree with you. To be flying any plane if it is not a TW it would have to be a NW. I suppose with seaplanes and float equipped planes.......... You could have ski's too. Perhaps they are a NW. No Wheels. "Oh it's ALL so complex, I'm not sure I can cope". NevAnother famous last words.... "wonder what happens when you operate this switch ".

poking.gif.62337b1540bd66201712a53e2664c9b4.gifpoking.gif.802d5d3d8f1914d5bae08f294420c8d5.gifpoking.gif.62337b1540bd66201712a53e2664c9b4.gif074_stirrer.gif.5dad7b21c959cf11ea13e4267b2e9bc0.gif074_stirrer.gif.f7f0365dccba2c0c4d074e832eec2536.gif074_stirrer.gif.5dad7b21c959cf11ea13e4267b2e9bc0.gif008_roflmao.gif.692a1fa1bc264885482c2a384583e343.gif008_roflmao.gif.1e95c9eb792c8fd2890ba5ff06d4e15c.gif008_roflmao.gif.692a1fa1bc264885482c2a384583e343.gif

I would say that in the right circumstances (and hands) this could be a win, win situation. I haven't done anything like this with an aircraft but had an informal arrangement with a boat owner that I'd check on his pride n joy on a regular basis, as well as taking her off the mooring, running the motor, using the winches and airing the sails while he was away on an extended holiday. Worked well, but then I was a regular member of the racing crew and familiar with both owner and vessel. Same with a sports car that I garaged for the owner, I probably put 500km on it in the 6 months that it lived with me, but I made dammed sure that I was on the insurance before I turned the key and to be honest it was a bit of a relief to hand it back intact and without any new stone chips in the paintwork.

BUT - I spend my daylight hours unravelling messes where people assumed (makes an ass of u & me?) that certain factors had been taken care of and ended up with a lot of bent machinery or broken bodies lying around, not to mention scary bills to pay. Make sure that you are both clear on who is doing what and who is responsible. I've known a friendship to come to an end over a $350 4x4 tyre that got cut and needed replacing - what is going to happen if a worn aircraft tyre gets punctured, are you as the pilot looking for free or cheap flying going to pay for the repair/replacement? Your definition of being at fault may differ from the owner's. What about that tank of stale ULP, remember by the time the average aircraft owner is ready to hand over his pride n joy to you, it has probably been sitting around for a good while already and may not be in perfect mechanical condition . Or hypothetically Mr Jabiru owner tosses you the keys and says go for it. What happens when it eats a valve, a through bolt breaks - we all "know" that these things aren't exactly unknown, but even if you land without damage, there is an aircraft to recover and the sticky situation of a motor needing repair. It's not something insurance will cover. Even if it did, excesses on aircraft are often high, who is going to pay that? Don't take it for granted that people are reasonable when the chips are down either - a good friend ended up spending several times the value of a trike that got broken, on legal fees after he came up against someone who was completely pig headed - and wealthy. They eventually agreed to go their own way after 18 months of fighting, but the lawyers still needed paying.

I'm not saying don't do it - far from it, I'd be happy to do it myself, just don't go into it without some thought and discussion, because the cost of getting it wrong could pay for many years of aircraft hire!

• Like 1

metalman, facthunter & Byron,

Must agree with your comments on the NW but it is an official endorsment on the RA-Aus pilot cert:contract:. My personal opinion is that it should read FW (Fairy Wheel) 022_wink.gif.2137519eeebfc3acb3315da062b6b1c1.gif Remember "Real pilots fly taildraggers":clap2::clap2:

• Like 1

.... but I made dammed sure that I was on the insurance before I turned the key ...... I've known a friendship to come to an end over a $350 4x4 tyre that got cut and needed replacing ...... Your definition of being at fault may differ from the owner's. .... Even if it did, excesses on aircraft are often high, who is going to pay that?

I know some people who don't insure their aeroplanes - I have declined invitations to fly them as a result. I recall some-one I know in the USA who flew his friend's Extra 300 - had to buy him a new one!One of my friends flew our Pitts - didn't notice a flat tyre so taxied the length of the runway so I wore the cost of that as a maintenance issue - but he knows that he is liable for the insurance excess in other situations.

...... just don't go into it without some thought and discussion, because the cost of getting it wrong could pay for many years of aircraft hire!

That's the best advice ever - consider and discuss these scenarios in advance.

metalman, facthunter & Byron,Must agree with your comments on the NW but it is an official endorsment on the RA-Aus pilot cert:contract:. My personal opinion is that it should read FW (Fairy Wheel) 022_wink.gif.2137519eeebfc3acb3315da062b6b1c1.gif Remember "Real pilots fly taildraggers":clap2::clap2:

What about the pilot of the latest Jab 170 who landed on the main wheels with stick full back, dragged the tail on the runway then dropped the nose onto the nose wheel.

Was he a ' Real Pilot '???008_roflmao.gif.692a1fa1bc264885482c2a384583e343.gif

Alan.

• Like 2

Another famous last words.... "wonder what happens when you operate this switch ".

If you have a nervous passenger... you say "I wonder what this switch does?" 008_roflmao.gif.692a1fa1bc264885482c2a384583e343.gif

Guest Howard Hughes
If you have a nervous passenger... you say "I wonder what this switch does?" 008_roflmao.gif.692a1fa1bc264885482c2a384583e343.gif

I used to work with a guy who whenever he primed the engine with fuel pump, would always say "holy shite it's never done that before"!006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

PS: I hope you're having some success with your little idea, nothing wrong with asking the question!:thumb_up:

• 6 years later...
Viz,I so want to visit you folks in Springsure some time, you definitly sound like my type of people !.........I've dropped in on Tomo and his great family a couple of times, and that is certainly worth the trip alsoTomo, good on you for putting it out there, no harm in asking at all, hope it pans out for you.

Over the years I have flown a lot of free time in other peoples' aircraft, generally connected with my level 2 work. If they offer, I'll strap it on, if I like the look of the aircraft. It's a bit hard to say no if you've just done an inspection and service on it, isn't it ? !! Over the years due to my travels, I've flown around twelve different Slepcev Storches. I have only knocked back a fly in a Storch once as the strip was along a ridge top, the wind was across the ridge and gusting, and barb wire fences ran down each side of the strip way to close. Certain limits have to be observed when it's not your machine.

I flew a friends Storch two weeks ago at Ayr airport, and I'd almost forgotten just what a fun machine they are.

Rich guys are the way to go Tomo, they buy the nice machines and don't fly them much, as they also have lots of other toys to play with.

I got about 50 free Tecnam P92 hours this way, and also got onto the 912 Lightwing that I currently own, at way below original purchase price.

There is a nice Taildragger 912 Pelican for sale up here at the moment, should be in the current magazine. The owner built the aircraft well, and is retiring from flying due to onset of parkinsons. I know the aircraft and can give it the big thumbs up:thumb_up:....certainly if you can get it for the right price..............would be a nice little plane for you Tomo !...................................................................................................Maj...

Viz,I so want to visit you folks in Springsure some time, you definitly sound like my type of people !.........I've dropped in on Tomo and his great family a couple of times, and that is certainly worth the trip alsoTomo, good on you for putting it out there, no harm in asking at all, hope it pans out for you.

Over the years I have flown a lot of free time in other peoples' aircraft, generally connected with my level 2 work. If they offer, I'll strap it on, if I like the look of the aircraft. It's a bit hard to say no if you've just done an inspection and service on it, isn't it ? !! Over the years due to my travels, I've flown around twelve different Slepcev Storches. I have only knocked back a fly in a Storch once as the strip was along a ridge top, the wind was across the ridge and gusting, and barb wire fences ran down each side of the strip way to close. Certain limits have to be observed when it's not your machine.

I flew a friends Storch two weeks ago at Ayr airport, and I'd almost forgotten just what a fun machine they are.

Rich guys are the way to go Tomo, they buy the nice machines and don't fly them much, as they also have lots of other toys to play with.

I got about 50 free Tecnam P92 hours this way, and also got onto the 912 Lightwing that I currently own, at way below original purchase price.

There is a nice Taildragger 912 Pelican for sale up here at the moment, should be in the current magazine. The owner built the aircraft well, and is retiring from flying due to onset of parkinsons. I know the aircraft and can give it the big thumbs up:thumb_up:....certainly if you can get it for the right price..............would be a nice little plane for you Tomo !...................................................................................................Maj...

Hey Maj

If by any chance you are still looking for a slepcev storch, we have one that we will be putting on the market pretty soon. My dad bought it for my brother and i second hand for property work on our cattle stations. and has been the best machine for us. Reason for selling is just an upgrade. we are located South of prairie QLD, 4 hours from townsville. If you are intrested and would like to get some for information on it. Please let me know. cheers Rylie.

• Like 1

It took a while to think about what to write here. In the end I decided to just say it straight.

Maj is gone Ryls. He was fatally injured following a crash while test flying a friends aircraft. It was a couple of years ago. Check the date of the thread.