New J160?

RKW

Visited the Jabiru factory on Monday and noticed a new J160 with the new vertical stabiliser, same as fitted to the J170/230. It will soon be undergoing certification and it looks great. No photos this time unfortunately!

• 2 weeks later...

I finally got some photos of the new J160 and instrument panel. Really nice improvements on a popular model. The new fin (fat tail) will be standard on all the new models, same as the J170.

IMG_1445.jpg.0b308bd8a020fe6c927e60342e2e90bd.jpg

IMG_1441.jpg.d3113c5e03da6758976f2a949ac1d180.jpg

The new fin has an aerofoil section, whereas the old one essentially has flat sides. This is, apparently, to improve rudder control. The slight radius curve on the top really enhances the overall (visual)effect.010_chuffed.gif.c2575b31dcd1e7cce10574d86ccb2d9d.gif

IMG_1425.jpg.25fbbbd7cfeb9f113a61a04af0268686.jpg

These are incremental changes in an airframe which needs relatively little changing anyway. The new panel is a mixed blessing as the curved section makes it a little more difficult for students to ensure they are "wings level"...sitting in the right side it's much easier. Better (stronger) door-restraints and doors that seal properly in the door-frames should be the next "tweaks". These are minor annoyances which would benefit from some work at build-time on factory-built machines.

Basically the J160 airfame is durable, low maintenance and tough as nails...just what a trainer should be.

• 1 month later...

How could I resist...Well I lashed out and bought it. Here it is landing at YCAB! I had the panel modified to take a Dynon D10a, a strobe was installed and adjustable rudder pedals. I flew it back from Bundy on Tuesday and it performed well. Many thanks to the good folk at Jabiru.

IMG_0818.JPG.c4906e3c6e1fa05ae52a85f5c86b3bf1.JPG

• Like 2

Hi Turbo, I have been flying a J170, and this is a photo I took of it, flying back from Bundaberg on Tuesday somewhere west of Burrum Heads. Regards, Bob

IMG_0739.JPG.6d922df8deb472fcc61c62455f21e2b8.JPG

• Like 1

Hello Kyliefil and Turbo, I favour the 160 over the 170 because I find it more predictable to land and particularly so for gusty crosswind conditions. The 170 has a tendency to float if you bring it in over 65kts and the excess speed does not wash off that quickly, whereas the 160 trims easily to 70kts with a steeper approach. In gusty crosswind conditions the 170 can be a bit of a handful, possibly exacerbated by the extra vertical surfaces. Rod Stiff rightly points out that if you are having a problem with the float, you are bringing it(170) in too fast! Trimming it to 65kts often means a rather flat approach. The 160 loses out to the 170 for useful load (about 40kg) but that's not a big issue for me. They are both nice to fly and the differences are in most cases minor, but in my humble opinion, I would rather have the 160. Regards, Bob

Hello Alan, The photo of the new rounded panel gives the impression that it obscures forward vision, however that is not the case. A person of average height would have no problems. Regards, Bob

Wow it actually looks more like it ''should'' - I always thought Jabs looked a bit disproportionate - but that was a good move giving more rudder and stability around the normal/vertical axis.

Yes David, the new fin seems to set it off. Another minor difference which I forgot to mention is that the angle of incidence of the horozontal stabilizer has been altered by 2 degrees. I didn't get the reason why. I'll have to drop in to Boonah so you can have a closer look! Regards, Bob

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...