Prop opinions

Guest GraemeM

Guest GraemeM

I am after peoples opinions, experiences and thoughts on different props.

Why you like one brand and not another.

Faults you have had.

Reasons why you like the one you have.

Thanks.

Graeme.

Guest Maj Millard

Yes, props are very much an extension of the engine, and are often matched to the engine and aircraft to obtain a certain performance............................................... Maj...024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Guest GraemeM

Sorry, 100hp 4 stroke and rotax gearbox.

Pusher config and slow draggy machine.

I have had Brolga, Ivo and Warp in the past. The Warp was the strongest but also the heaviest and maybe not the most efficient.

Ivo seemed to loose it's rigidness over time.

Thoughts please.

Graeme.

John Gilpin has done a prop comparison on his website...all done on the one aircraft I think to be honest there is very little difference between them there is certainly no glaring difference except time to climb on the bolly 66 inch prop http://www.stolspeed.com/id/62

Mark

So, a Powered Parachute is not an aircraft??Graeme.

Of course it is but I think most people would know what I was getting at.111_oops.gif.41a64bb245dc25cbc7efb50b743e8a29.gif

We have several powered parachutes at our airfield so I felt that I may be able to help.012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif

Alan.

Guest GraemeM
Of course it is but I think most people would know what I was getting at.111_oops.gif.41a64bb245dc25cbc7efb50b743e8a29.gifWe have several powered parachutes at our airfield so I felt that I may be able to help.012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif

Alan.

Just stirring the pot Alan

All help is appreciated

Graeme.

Guest Maj Millard

Prop efficiency is dependant on speed through the air, so the requirements for a powered parachute will be quiet different for something with a 90 kt cruise speed......................................Maj...024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

• 2 months later...
Guest Maj Millard

Spacesailor, I flew with a two-pot 1/2 VW back in the 80s. Don't know what the horsepower was, but it got me off the ground.

When I needed a prop for it I called a local Californian legend Craig Catto, as he was making nice wood props back then. I described what I needed, and he asked me a few questions about the aircraft, that's all. The prop arrived about a week later, and it was within a degree of being perfect !!. I believe I still have it somewhere in a place of honour. I sourced my crank, heads and prop flange from Morry Hummel, and enjoyed many pleasant conversations with him on the phone.................................Maj...024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

P2010717.JPG.a9bf3338020bfb367d75a1b703dc51a9.JPG

P1260709.JPG.1a34516bcb9d6ca2c73eeddc11b53a02.JPG

Hi Maj, Is the biplane the 1/2 vw powered ?. Can you remember the prop dia., The 1/2 vw can use 46" to 52" & still climb away.

My aircraft is a "HummelBird" plus another fuse,. to use when I'm use to flying it as a trigear I will change to the tail dragger.

IF ever I can pass the BAK tests, Made a couple of 48"X36" props to run_in the engine. straight prop was noisy the curved prop ran slower revs, next I want to try a "Scimitar" for the open air

bryan:plane:

Guest Maj Millard

Yes the bipe was originally 1/2 VW powered. I'll have a look at the prop next time I get a chance, it's been too long I can't recall what size it was...The Hummelbird is a nice little machine, and they get along well.................................................................Maj...

• 5 weeks later...
Guest Escadrille

In the latest english "PILOT" magazine there is a comprehwensive article on Rupert Waseys company, Hercules props... They promise great things from thier products. The props appears to be very well made.. See www.hercprops.com.

I am not connected with them in any way...

Guest Maj Millard

Spacesailor, the props I used on the 1/2 vw were either 54 or 56 " with a round a 24-26 degree of pitch. Blades were reasonably wide at around 4.5 " at widest point.

Pete bess....during the 80s there were a few UL WW1 replicas around, so I designed and built my own. It is a rough copy of an Albatros C1 which was a two seat german 'hack' used for observation, training and general use. Richtofen used one on his off days to travel to Berlin for R&R. It's unusual in that it is one of only a few Bipes to have both wings swept at 10 deg. The Tiger Moth is one other. Not even a Pitts has both swept to 10 deg. The main wing on mine was built utilizing many parts from the Easy Riser, designed by Larry Mauro, whom I knew personally in California. It flew very well and I flew it for several years. It sits in my shed now waiting for another war...............................................Maj...024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

P1260713.JPG.aef840318d0ae67ca7af72dfa26b6bab.JPG

0205100641-00.jpg.51c935a8787d7dd648826ac039187af6.jpg

Guest Maj Millard

Well yenn my friend my best answer is "you'd really have to have flown one"...The early Geman machines tried everything, and they seem to like the double swept wings....german technology ??...I don't know. From an engineering point of view it's not easy, as you also need some dihedral on the botom wing....double angle into the fuselage. The 'ultimate wings' that are fitted to a standard Pitts are double sweep and they seem to certainly improve on Pitts performance in the right hands, and that's saying something !!.

When I was designing and building my bipe I had this serious concern that in a turn it would just want to keep going. Really with the sweep there was nothing to stop it. Lower wings just increase in sweep and loose lift and top wings decrease in sweep and increase lift....what's to stop them tucking into a turn ?......

First flight was a dream, it had no such tendencies at all, in fact it loved to turn and the turns could be made super tight. Literally it would turn on a wingtip...maybe the Germans knew what they were doing after all !!..............................................................Maj...012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gifP2010769.JPG.476e1b3a0789ab203ae10cf0bdfdb9db.JPG

P1260695.JPG.eb10d2e241ba681fbf2a9f3efe81c40a.JPG

Sorry, 100hp 4 stroke and rotax gearbox.Pusher config and slow draggy machine.

I have had Brolga, Ivo and Warp in the past. The Warp was the strongest but also the heaviest and maybe not the most efficient.

Ivo seemed to loose it's rigidness over time.

Thoughts please.

Graeme.

Hi Graeme, I`ve had a total of 2, 60 inch diameter, 4 blade Brolga with 17 degree pitch blocks on the, 4 , Rotax 582 engines I used on the Drifter, when I was instructing. Many trouble free hours from the props and they did what I needed them to do.

On the Drifter, I currently run a Rotax 503 DCDI with the E type 2.62:1 reduction gearbox and a 60 inch diameter 3 blade Ivo prop.

I`m interested to know what you mean by, "Ivo seemed to loose it's rigidness over time".

Cheers,

Frank.

It flew very well and I flew it for several years. It sits in my shed now waiting for another war...............................................Maj...024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

What a cop out Ross!... There`s been no end to wars!..big_gun.gif.bf32cf238ff2a3722884beddb76a2705.gif..Get in that shed and get it going, I`ll even help.022_wink.gif.2137519eeebfc3acb3315da062b6b1c1.gif

Frank.

Guest GraemeM
Hi Graeme, I`ve had a total of 2, 60 inch diameter, 4 blade Brolga with 17 degree pitch blocks on the, 4 , Rotax 582 engines I used on the Drifter, when I was instructing. Many trouble free hours from the props and they did what I needed them to do.On the Drifter, I currently run a Rotax 503 DCDI with the E type 2.62:1 reduction gearbox and a 60 inch diameter 3 blade Ivo prop.

I`m interested to know what you mean by, "Ivo seemed to loose it's rigidness over time".

Cheers,

Frank.

I had a machine with an older Ivo and we could not get the climb we should have been getting.

I would check the prop pitch on the ground and all was good, I was starting to think I had engine problems.

Even increased pitch a little and this helped a little.

Borrowed a mates new identical Ivo, put it on my machine and back the how things should have been. We put my old prop on his machine and same thing, less thrust.

It seems they loose their stiffness and wont hold pitch after some time.

I'm thinking of getting a Kool Prop to try. Anybody used one?

Graeme.