A Savannah for Southern NSW

bobcharl

Thanks for the oil temp comments.

I share UL's thoughts on getting it over 100c to boil off vapours. Other than that I have a fair amount of faith in multi-grade oils, within reason of course.

SDQDI, I like the idea of an in-flight adjustable mechanism to control airflow through the cooler. Would be helpful on those descents too. Does anyone know of any website where I might get some ideas?

Bob.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't know of any website Bob but the ones I have seen have just had a flat aluminium sheet held top and bottom in brackets with a push pull cable back to the cockpit. Been a while since I have looked at one closely but I am sure there would small scale rails that could act as slides and I guess then it's just a matter of putting some stoppers so you can't go too far either way.

I'll keep my eyes open and next time I see one like that ill post a pic.

[ATTACH]31556[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]31557[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]31558[/ATTACH]IT FLIES!! IT FLIES!!

Yes it really does. Put the test pilot on board and turned him loose yesterday morning and he spent almost an hour putting it through it's paces.

In the arvo it was my turn and that was just a wonderful experience. Worth all the waiting. Most striking feature is the short ground run on takeoff.

Of course we found a few things which need some adjustment.

1) Oil temp only rose to 70 deg. so I have blanked off a portion of the oil cooler and tried it today but still only 90 deg. so still more to be done there.

2) Elevator trim tab needed the linkage adjusting to provide a bit more nose up trim. It really requires the full range of the servo to give the necessary nose-up and nose-down trim.

3) In hands off mode it has a tendency to drop the left wing. Its very slight but its always that wing. While flying you are hardly conscious of applying any right stick. Don't know if it is worth doing anything with at this stage.

Any feedback on these issues welcome.

Despite the above, which is no more than expected , I am getting an absolute buzz out of flying it. I just can't wait to get the 25 hours done and then to go somewhere.

Regards,

Bob

Great news Bob!

• 4 months later...

Yeah Mark, I have been a bit tardy with my posts haven't I?

Still delighted with my Savvy.

To comment on the issues I mentioned way back:

1) The oil cooler just needed a bit more blanking off and now reaches just over 100 deg on climb and settles to a bit under 100 on cruise.

2)I got a bit cheeky with the elevator trim linkages. I made a new pivot arm that goes between the two adjustable rods and put the centre pivot hole a little off centre to increase the range of movement of the tab, then re-set it. It did increase the overall range of movement, a bit more would be better but I am reluctant to go any further because every increase is increasing the load on the servo.

3) To sort the aileron imbalance it was suggested to me that a bungee fitted to the linkage inside the fuselage might be the way to go. I wasn't too keen on that and have opted for a trim tab on the RH flaperon, just like the factory one on the rudder. A couple of trials to get it set right and it does the job beautifully.

I flew off the first five hours within 5nm of Temora as I was required, then the remaining 20 hrs within a triangle bounded by Wagga , Narrandera and Temora, also as required. Coincidently I happen to live within that triangle so Savvy was able to come home to my landing strip after the initial 5 hrs, and be hangared about 50m from my back door. It doesn't come much better!

I have now completed the 25 hrs and have taken my first passenger aloft,( the long suffering missus, who does not like flying unless there is a passport involved) and to my pleasure she "didn't dislike" the experience.

It was very pleasing to do the 25 hourly service and finding everything under the cowls looking just the same as when I completed the build. I suppose they should too shouldn't they?

I have not done any trips away yet, but have joined the local aero club and am looking forward to some of the flying trips away that they organize.

All in all, just loving it.

Merry Christmas and a happy New Year to all,

Bob.

• Winner 1

Thats great Bob. Glad you are enjoying the flying. Mine will be back in the air soon and after these mods will be able to do more long distance stuff....lookout Steve get that guest spot on the floor ready

Have to move the plane out of the lounge room and into the hangar and the hunting lodge will be available too.