Mission flying?

Tomo

Could you please explain that a little Tomo?Do you mean missionary work - taking the gospel to the lost - or more aviation to remote areas in general?

Sure! Bit of both I suppose... I was more curious to see how many here were interested in something such as MAF, like youngster above. But I didn't want to just narrow it down to one organisation as there are many good ones out there. Hence such a title... sorry it was a bit vague though!

Would posting tit bits of information and or news of organisations such as MAF be of interest to some? I guess that was my real reason behind this question.

For instance - MAF operates in about 30 countries (including northern Aus, as youngster pointed out) Having approx 120 aircraft world wide etc...

If there was interest enough I was going to ask our favourite Ian if he wanted to make a topical forum for such a place to hang? i.e. "Mission Aviation"

• Like 2

Guest SAJabiruflyer
Sure! Bit of both I suppose... I was more curious to see how many here were interested in something such as MAF, like youngster above. But I didn't want to just narrow it down to one organisation as there are many good ones out there. Hence such a title... sorry it was a bit vague though!Would posting tit bits of information and or news of organisations such as MAF be of interest to some? I guess that was my real reason behind this question.

For instance - MAF operates in about 30 countries (including northern Aus, as youngster pointed out) Having approx 120 aircraft world wide etc...

If there was interest enough I was going to ask our favourite Ian if he wanted to make a topical forum for such a place to hang? i.e. "Mission Aviation"

I'd be interested Tomo, its always great to hear about Aviators and the things they get up :)

There are some great pioneering MAF stories from some of the old pilots. I have a book written by one guys but cant remember his name, I went to a talk he gave many years ago. Real interesting days. His book talks about the bogie wheel adaption on the C180/185 for landing in boggy strips in PNG. He must have been good he survived his whole life flying up there. He was a LAME and a pilot.

Sounds familiar, would he be in his 70s or older now Tomo? I'll have to find the book.

Tomo it was Harold Morton, he flew with the MAF to Tari in PNG in 1958 with his children in a C170 VH-BUX which apparently is still flying today. It is a great life's story

Not sure about his age, never asked! But his book is called "Many Adventures Followed" - we keep in pretty good contact.

Edit: This is Rogers book, not Harold's

Tomo it was Harold Morton, he flew with the MAF to Tari in PNG in 1958 with his children in a C170 VH-BUX which apparently is still flying today. It is a great life's story

Oh yes Harold, yes his 170 is still going!

Not sure about his age, never asked! But his book is called "Many Adventures Followed" - we keep in pretty good contact.

Harold's book was called "Flying for God into the Son".

Harold would have to be my father's age from year the photos were taken and the size of his children at the time; so Harold would be in his 80s now if still alive. Reminds me of my childhood photographs with my Dad in the same years.

There are TWO issues in that question Tomo. The flying aspect of it and what you may call the "calling" side of it. Aeroplanes can be used for good things or dropping bombs etc which we might call a "bad" thing.

You obviously like flying, and you may also lean towards the other, religious aspect.

The most demanding thing flying wise is to instruct " really well". Most other things are milk runs, sorties, "must get the stuff there", type of thing, that at the end of the day, if you didn't do it someone else would. It's not really personal.. When you do something that bilong you it's different every time, even though you may not progress on to some of the "exotic" jobs that some of your students may appear to do..

Is a pilot the more magnificent only because his plane is bigger than others. Hardly.

Flying in remote areas in basic planes has an element of real risk attached to it. That might be a challenge and be stimulating for a while but I've seen pilots in PNG who resorted to the bottle to face the job day after day. ( Not saying you will do that, but that cloud around the rocks , spares no-one who gets it wrong). Nev

good summary and interesting view point facthunter

your reference 'to the bottle' .................... its probably hard to generalise, but - is 'the bottle' because of the danger (stress) or because of the day to day chore (repetition)? do you think

might not be an answerable question

I think I can see a bit of of that lifestyle in ag pilots (the danger or chore and 'the bottle'........................ I've never actually thought about)

This photo was taken in 09 at a Mission aviation airshow - not taken by me.

I'll try and find the article about it later, as there is a bit of history behind this little gem. I think Rex Booth now owns it.

Johnm, Hard to be sure and there are a lot of factors to consider. The general view was it was a case of nerves going. I,ve seen a few cases of long term pilots becoming very "weather sensitive". Having to operate to a "schedule", increases the pressure. There's probably peer ( and other) pressure too. So and so got in, why didn't you?. Nev

Oh yes Harold, yes his 170 is still going!

It lives in Dixons Creek right up the north end at the foot of the Kinglake range and visits the MAF-ACMA at YCEM on a regular basis.

kaz