trike flying on Sunrise

Guest ozzie

Some great footage of the weather guy flying in a trike at Maitland this morning on the Sunrise show.

Flying around while reading the weather. Chris is the pilot. More coming up at 8.40 with a promised deadstick landing. Great footage so far with a wing tip mounted camera.

Yep I saw that, but only the 8:40 one. I didn't think that he would actually kill the engine altogether, great landing though. Seemed to be a pretty positive story though, highlighting the fact that aircraft don't just fall out of the sky if the engine stops which is still a common belief with some people...

Seemed to be a pretty positive story though, highlighting the fact that aircraft don't just fall out of the sky if the engine stops which is still a common belief with some people...

Unfortunately it still is!

Whenever I was taking someone flying for the first time, ( and still do ) , before we went up I would explain that things can and do go wrong sometimes..... If the engine was to stop,we would just glide and the aircraft would be completely controllable. As long as we had a safe place to land, we`de simply land saftely.

Once up in the air I would say ," If the motor was to stop right now,this is what would happen".... I would set up a glide attitude, bring the motor back to idle and say " We will simply continue to fly and land"!

There was a lady who came here to watch her husband learning to fly. I would offer to take her flying free of charge,she`d refuse because she was frightened of flying, eventually she decided to give it a go. Onec we got in the air, the first thing I did was what I`ve explained above. Instead of a scream, over the mike came, " This is realy quite safe, isn`t it".My reply was, " That`s what I`ve been trying to tell you ".... I kid you not!

I love to hear just the noise of the wind through the wires. After 27 years I still practise it regularly. The challenge for me is not flying the aircraft, that`s easy, the challange is to stop right in front of the hanger.

We need to do everything we can to dispell the idea that if the motor stops we will crash!

Frank.

• Like 6

I'll repeat my post from Ronin's thread . . . I'd like to be able to view it again.

Watched it this morning, but can't seem to find it on the Yahoo7 website to show friends who missed it. It's not with the weather report.

If someone I take up is a little concerned about the fan stopping I usually explain what happens then show them how the aircraft glides (pull the throttle all the way out). They are usually amazed at how well they glide and at 3,000 ft they feel that it's pretty much not decending. Helps to keep them relaxed i found.

All three segments were really positive. After they set up for the glide to the strip weather dude wanted to hand back after shut down but he was told he was doing fine in the glide so kept flying with a little help. He seemed pretty stoked that he had done the 'impossible'. Lots of positve comments and no dumb jokes from the studio. I think there will be some TIFs from this.

So, for the benefit of those who were/are outside the link, can someone please dig up and post the video of this unusual weather report?

Guest davidh10
...We need to do everything we can to dispell the idea that if the motor stops we will crash!

Frank.

I took a friend up for a flight recently and he was a little concerned about how well the trike would glide. I assured him it was fine and indicated the glide ratio in terms of how far you could glide for every 1,000' of altitude, and indicated that was the area in which I would be scanning for potential landing areas during the flight, as a standard part of flying a single engine aircraft. I hastened to add that I had never had an engine failure and thus the only emergency landings I had done were for practise.

As we were returning to land, we were descending from 5,500' and I had told him we were going to start a gentle descent (still 8 miles out) and dropped the revs back from 4,200rpm to 3,500rpm. I then indicated that if he was ok with it, I would demonstrate the glide at engine idle and he agreed, but I could tell that he wasn't too sure. I closed the throttle completely so engine was idling at 2,000rpm. After a few moments I said 'there we are, we are gliding." He said, "Wow! I can't tell the difference!". With dropping to idle, our descent rate increased from about 500'/min to about 750'/min.

Trike flying at Sunrise...I was up at the same time this morning with a converting PPL doing ccts, he is thoroughly enjoying his training and says it is the best flying he has done in years. Hope the rain doesn't spoil all our Christmas fun

Weight shift wins- fly the wing....

Guest davidh10
...- fly the wing....

Probably one of the most difficult concepts to assimilate, but once you get it, flying is much easier and more relaxing :-)

Unfortunately it still is!

We need to do everything we can to dispell the idea that if the motor stops we will crash!

Frank.

I flew for years off Tamborine in HG's and the tourist buses would love to pull up and unload the inquisitive hoards and block our path across the road.

And the No1 Question on the hit parade??? "What happens if the wind stops!!"

I flew for years off Tamborine in HG's and the tourist buses would love to pull up and unload the inquisitive hoards and block our path across the road.And the No1 Question on the hit parade??? "What happens if the wind stops!!"

My wife will sleep with me again. 008_roflmao.gif.692a1fa1bc264885482c2a384583e343.gif

Alan Methane.

• Like 2