Communications when in difficulties

Communications when in difficulties

When a non-instrument rated recreational pilot realises that he/she is likely to be in difficulties (very low on fuel, lost or in failing light, encountering low cloud and rising terrain) or is already in difficulty (the engine or a control circuit has failed), the top priorities are: (a) fly the aircraft, (b) continue flying the aircraft whilst running through the pre-planned emergency drills and © decide the best landing area. During this period an assessment must be made of the probable outcome in terms of possible injury and/or survival following the landing.

• If the aircraft is normally controllable, visibility is okay and the area is clear terrain with a normal rural population density and road infrastructure, then the landing will not be life-threatening. If unable to remedy the fault on the ground, the pilot won't have to walk far to find assistance. In this circumstance many recreational aircraft pilots, particularly those in single-seat taildraggers, would not consider communicating any form of alert except, perhaps, to advise an accompanying aircraft. This brings to mind the RA-Aus pilot who underwent three forced landings on one journey to NATFLY before he finally made it.

• On the other hand if the pilot is experiencing control difficulty, or the terrain is rough and/or heavily treed, or in a more remote area, or the type of aircraft is such that it is likely that the landing cannot be carried out without risk of injury then the pilot would be well advised to initiate a distress broadcast — a MAYDAY call — even if there is little time available.

Distress is defined as a situation where — in the opinion of the pilot in command — an aircraft (or vessel, vehicle or person) is in grave and imminent danger and requires immediate assistance. The word 'Mayday', an anglicised version of the French m'aidez (help me), was adopted in 1927 as the standard radiotelephony distress call.

In between these two extremes there are circumstances that make some form of alert or urgency communication advisable, even if the pilot doesn't want to ask for help or feels a bit embarrassed about it. (But — in my book — better red than dead.)

The VHF frequency chosen, at the pilot's discretion, depends on circumstances and should be that which is most likely to provide a quick response or rapid assistance at the scene. The first choice response station will usually be Flightwatch on the flight information area frequency. If the frequency already tuned is a CTAF and other aircraft or a Unicom operator are known to be listening out then use that frequency (but bear in mind CTAFs are not monitored by Air Traffic Services). Another option is the international VHF voice distress frequency of 121.5 MHz, which, though also not monitored by Air Traffic Services, is continually monitored by RPT aircraft and others with a good citizen attitude and the communications equipment capability to monitor more than one frequency; see Boyd Munro's comments.

But the pilot's primary task is to fly the aircraft while selecting the best landing site and minimising risk to all persons; it is not productive to stall the aircraft while attempting to communicate.

The pilot who is encountering difficulties might decide to request assistance from flight information services — Flightwatch if contactable — advising the difficulty, the aircraft's approximate location and the pilot's intentions: without the pilot initiating an emergency status. The Flightwatch operator may arrange to directly assist or may decide to treat the situation as an emergency and declare the appropriate emergency phase — uncertainty, alert or distress. See AIP GEN 3.6.

The call format might be:

• BRISBANE CENTRE FLIGHTWATCH

• THRUSTER ZERO TWO EIGHT SIX

• EXPERIENCING NAVIGATION DIFFICULTIES IN DETERIORATING VISIBILITY

• REQUEST NAVIGATION ADVISORY

If the pilot considers there is some uncertainty and/or urgency in the situation, and that assistance may be needed, then he/she may decide to advise of an urgency condition and initiate a PAN-PAN broadcast — stating the nature of the alert, pilot's intentions and assistance desired.

Declaring an emergency in an appropriate situation displays good airmanship — and people do like to help. Read the article 'Salvation from above' in the January–February 2001 issue of the Australian Civil Aviation Safety Authority's Flight Safety Australia magazine. A categorised index of articles of interest to recreational pilots contained in Flight Safety Australia since 1998 is available on this site.

Urgency and distress calls

PAN-PAN and MAYDAY calls are internationally recognised emergency transmissions that initiate ICAO prescribed procedures and offer decided advantages to the pilot in difficulties.

• Distress calls have absolute priority over all other communications on that frequency, and the word MAYDAY commands immediate radio silence. Radio silence should continue until it is determined that communication has been properly established between the station in distress and a responsible authority, and that assistance is being provided.

• Similarly PAN-PAN urgency communications have priority over all other communications except distress calls.

• Flightwatch will immediately acknowledge any distress or urgency message received, coordinate communications and alert the Australian Search and Rescue organisation [AusSAR] on receipt of a distress call.

• If any station monitoring a distress or urgency message becomes aware that Flightwatch either has not received the message or, having received it, cannot establish contact with the originator, that station has a responsibility to contact Flightwatch and/or the aircraft, and offer assistance — possibly as a relay station — which may entail remaining in the area.

• There is an understanding that "In an emergency requiring immediate action, the pilot in command may deviate from any rule ... to the extent required to meet the emergency." However, you would need to ensure that any such departure doesn't cause risk to someone else. Nothing in the CASRs acts to protect the pilot against civil liability in the case of damage to persons or property. Also declaration of an emergency while entering an active restricted area does not guarantee safe passage.

• For transponder-equipped aircraft also see transponder emergency procedure.

MAYDAY call format

To remove any uncertainty whether a monitored call is an emergency call, it is most advisable to precede the call with the recognised priorities PAN-PAN or MAYDAY, then transmit as much of the following detail as circumstances allow — bearing in mind the pilot's number one priority is to fly the aircraft. If experiencing controllability problems or an engine failure when close to the surface, there won't be much time to bother about formal communication formats.

If time is available, distress calls have the preferred format:

1. Priority = MAYDAY (repeated three times)

2. Calling station ID (repeated three times, if time permits) and aircraft type

3. Nature of distress

4. Calling station position, heading and altitude

5. Intentions

6. Other useful information

For example, with an engine failure over rough, hilly terrain:

• MAYDAY MAYDAY MAYDAY

• THRUSTER ZERO TWO EIGHT SIX / ZERO TWO EIGHT SIX / ZERO TWO EIGHT SIX

• ENGINE FAILURE

• ESTIMATED POSITION THREE ZERO MILES SOUTH EAST ALBURY / HEADING EAST / NOW DESCENDING THROUGH THREE THOUSAND

• INTEND FORCED LANDING IN MITTA VALLEY

• TWO POB / THRUSTER ZERO TWO EIGHT SIX / MAYDAY

Note the last line includes the information that there are two persons on board [POB] and repeats the call sign and the MAYDAY priority. It might help a Flightwatch operator, managing several frequencies, if the frequency in use was also transmitted.

PAN-PAN call format

Urgency calls have the preferred format:

1. Priority = PAN-PAN (three times)

2. Called station ID

3. Calling station ID and aircraft type

4. Nature of emergency

5. Calling station estimated position, altitude and heading

6. Request or intentions

Utilising GPS

If the pilot in distress is able to communicate, or has established contact, a functioning GPS is a great advantage to everyone concerned, because the pilot is then able to provide a latitude and longitude position probably accurate to 100 metres. Consequently any search only entails a direct flight to that position by one aircraft. Some distress beacons also include Global Positioning System input capability.

Other communication means

UHF citizen's band [CB]. In rural and outback areas, particularly in the vicinity of the arterial roads, there is widespread usage of UHF CB radios by truck drivers, four-wheel drive vehicles, road crews, mustering crews and fencers. There are 40 CB channels located between 476.425 and 477.400 MHz in 0.025 MHz steps. The road vehicles listen out on channel 40, and channels 5 and 35 are emergency frequencies. Some VHF handheld transceivers might include UHF CB capability and there is quite a good UHF repeater system (channels 1–8/31–38) established in Australia.

A cellular mobile telephone may also be useful in advising your situation to others; the mobile emergency call service number for digital instruments is 112. In Australia the cellular mobile telephone service [CMTS] operates on frequencies in the 850, 900, 1800 and 2100 MHz bands. Be aware that the ACMA cellular mobile class licence 'does not authorise the operation of a station (i.e. a mobile 'phone) that is in an airborne aircraft.' An activated telephone may cause channel interference across cells, because of the altitude of the device. However recreational aircraft operate at low altitudes and comparatively low speeds; in an emergency safety has priority so recreational pilots might contact the ATC centres by mobile phone. The telephone numbers of the ATC centres and the SAR hotline are given in ERSA GEN-FIS — store that number in your 'phone.

Note that in July 2010 ACMA amended the cellular mobile class licence to allow operation of a mobile 'phone in an airborne aircraft above a specified altitude, but only to communicate with a licensed public mobile telecommunications service station onboard the aircraft. The amendment only allows passengers to use mobile 'phones in airliners that are equipped with a control unit, a 'picocell' base-station unit (such as those used in large buildings) and a telecommunications satellite connection. Under these conditions the mobile 'phones in the aircraft operate at very low power.

Source: http://www.recreationalflying.com/tutorials/comms/safety.html#difficulties

Guest Howard Hughes
If the aircraft is normally controllable, visibility is okay and the area is clear terrain with a normal rural population density and road infrastructure, then the landing will not be life-threatening.

It will?

I would argue that if you are making an off airport (non planned) landing, that a 'pan' call as a minimum is required, remember that you can always cancel it at a later time if your situation has improved.

That really depends on your skill , the local knowledge, terrain and the type of plane you fly. Your statement is generally true.( more applicable to the larger GA types). A Savannha with big wheels and a bit of a steady headwind could just about land anywhere.

If the landing is going to be of a difficult nature and time is short there has to be a priority which is to do the BEST possible landing. After all nobody in a tower or miles away can do for you what you have to do. You will always think of something you should have done afterwards, (like fuel off, block a door open, electrics off, tighten all seat belts etc, but most of all don't stuff up the landing , or hit a fence or tree at flying speed. Nev

Guest Howard Hughes

Agreed flying the aircraft is the first priority, but after that it should be a priority to let someone know what is going on! Even the best looking field with the best approach path, may have hidden dangers if it is an unplanned landing. It's no good being upside down in a paddock with no means of egress and nobody knows, I don't care what type you are flying, Savannah's with big wheels included.

Don't be afraid to ask for help, especially in a low vis precautionary search and landing, or inadvertant IMC scenario, it is not a sign off weakness, quite the reverse in fact!

Guest Howard Hughes
block a door open

What are the thoughts in RAA World on this? Surely it decreases the survivabilty of an impact?

PS: Sorry for the thread drift.

What are the thoughts in RAA World on this? Surely it decreases the survivabilty of an impact?PS: Sorry for the thread drift.

I have always been taught in GA both here and in Europe to release the door latches before an emergency landing, whilst there is some argument in the fact that the door may provide some additional structural strength, it is more likely to buckle and jam making an exit more difficult or impossible. The same applied for ditching in water.

Alan.

Refer POH for various aircraft door opening situations... I've found differing opinion in different aircraft.

Before I was GA and operated in/out of CTA regularly I probably wouldn't have felt like annoying centre about a so called straight forward procedure like a forced landing on a road. But now I talk to them fairly often and realise they are there for that very reason, and they don't bite! I would tell them exactly what I am going to do. If it was a forced landing in a neighbours paddock near the house and you know things will turn out okay and or help is near, I wouldn't.

Be professional, precise and don't throw away a helping hand! 001_smile.gif.2cb759f06c4678ed4757932a99c02fa0.gif

Mind you, that's just my thoughts!!

• Like 2

Guest Howard Hughes
I have always been taught in GA both here and in Europe to release the door latches before an emergency landing

Yes I was always taught that as well, but as I've gotten older I have learnt to question why we do things.

How would being more able to exit the plane REDUCE the survivability.? Nev

In many cases door provides structural strength when in place, without the doors latched you may not need to worry about exiting the aircraft. What about limbs flying around in a sudden deceleration? More places to become trapped/broken?

PS: Just playing devils advocate.022_wink.gif.2137519eeebfc3acb3315da062b6b1c1.gif

sorted

You should have the relevant APP/FIA dialled up unless you are operating into or near a CTAF (certainly within 10 NM of one) when the FIA should be the standby frequency. The FIA (or APP if relevant) is the best frequency on which to transmit because it is always attended. 122.5 and nearest CTAF are definitely second best in my view.

If you ask them and they are not overloaded, they will give you a flight following service above A050 which is nearly as good as IFR traffic gets. Obviously having a transponder makes a big difference to its effectiveness. If you are on flight following, they'll know exactly where you are if things turn nasty.

I had a fright coming down from Tennant Creek to the Alice a couple of years ago. My engine started to run rough, seriously rough, and I thought I might have to mix it with the caravans and road trains on the continuous airstrip below. I called the nice lady at MEL CEN and told her my troubles. She smoothed the way for me into Alice Springs after inquiring as to my dog's wellbeing... she never did ask if I was ok... and it was very reassuring to know that someone else was aware of my problem. Alice TWR cleared me in with an extra 1000' over the town in case the noise stopped and a subsequent inspection by the local LAME revealed a cracked insulator on a top plug. I should mention the guys in the tower were lovely and gave me a guided tour of their domain. I understand that AirServices is now trialling a remote service with a view to running the whole thing from Melbourne. Sad loss of local knowledge and enthusiasm in the name of efficiency.

kaz

Guest Howard Hughes
Communications when in difficultiesThe first choice response station will usually be Flightwatch on the flight information area frequency.

sorted

I like your (I'm assuming) subtle wit Peter. For those who maybe unaware Flightwatch (on VHF) closed down in 2007!

I like your (I'm assuming) subtle wit Peter. For those who maybe unaware Flightwatch (on VHF) closed down in 2007!

Yes, Dick Smith lamented it at the time and Flight Following sort of took off afterwards if you get my drift. I was subtly avoiding pointing that out...087_sorry.gif.8f9ce404ad3aa941b2729edb25b7c714.gif

Was Doris Hughes from Melbourne your mum?

kaz

That is quite misleading. VHF Flightwatch has never closed down. The dedicated FIS frequencies were removed from the November 2009 charts and those on-request FIS service responsibilities assumed by ATC units on the VHF area frequency or others. The callsign is the generic 'Flightwatch' usually preceded by the ATC unit callsign but the latter is not necessary, just 'Flightwatch' is sufficient if in difficulties See ERSA-GEN-FIS 3.2

Kaz (post 12) demonstrated that the revised system is seamless. ML CEN provided their on-request FIS service seemingly without Kaz recognising the flightwatch service was in operation.

John Brandon

That is quite misleading. VHF Flightwatch has never closed down. The dedicated FIS frequencies were removed from the November 2009 charts and those on-request FIS service responsibilities assumed by ATC units on the VHF area frequency or others. The callsign is the generic 'Flightwatch' usually preceded by the ATC unit callsign but the latter is not necessary, just 'Flightwatch' is sufficient if in difficulties See ERSA-GEN-FIS 3.2Kaz (post 12) demonstrated that the revised system is seamless. ML CEN provided their on-request FIS service seemingly without Kaz recognising the flightwatch service was in operation.

John Brandon

Hi John

Looking at your post and mine, I think we are in furious agreement. The old FIS was disbandoned in 2007. This was a dedicated service with dedicated frequencies.

The present service, as you say, is provided on the FIA frequencies by ATC as and when they can fit it in with their other duties.

Despite the injunction contained in ERSA to call the present system up using the old call sign, however, I never hear anyone doing it presumably because there is no mention of such a callsign on the charts and we have all become accustomed to using xxx-CEN, yyy-RAD etc.

Closer to the bigger centres, ATC is kept so busy that I and many others in class G generally confine our contact to a brief position, height and intentions broadcast knowing that they'll respond if aware of conflicts. That's no reflection on the controllers who do a fantastic job (one is a neighbour and fellow CFA member), but their greatest focus is of necessity on those within CTA or IFR.

That's not to say that they aren't there for you when things go bad... quite the contrary. When I had engine troubles between Tennant Creek and Alice Springs, it was ML CEN that I called and the lovely lady on duty kept watch on me until she handed me off to the ALICE TWR. All controllers were absolutely wnderful and kept my stress levels down to a level where I could still function reasonably sensibly.

Many of us old enough to remember see the morphing primarily as a cost-saving implemented without any real consultation beforehand as evidenced by Minister Vaile's letter to Dick Smith http://www.dicksmithflyer.com.au/Mark_Vaile_re_Flightwatch.php. And it seemed to go against current trends in that it departed from the FAA model as I understand it. But then again, I remember when I regularly received a huge wad of charts and other documents gratis and avgas was less than half what it is now... <sigh>

The biggest advantage was that it kept all traffic on the one frequency (ATC) instead of between two (FIS and ATC).

kaz

Guest Howard Hughes

So we have the frequncy naming 'sorted'!022_wink.gif.2137519eeebfc3acb3315da062b6b1c1.gif

I'm still concerned that people are advocating not telling anyone when conducting an unplanned landing, should the opportunity arise. The 'she'll be right mate' attitude has no place in aviation.

So we have the frequncy naming 'sorted'!022_wink.gif.2137519eeebfc3acb3315da062b6b1c1.gifI'm still concerned that people are advocating not telling anyone when conducting an unplanned landing, should the opportunity arise. The 'she'll be right mate' attitude has no place in aviation.

I'm a live coward!

kaz

He was referring to people who have an in flight issue whether minor or a threat to life and are stupid enough not to make the appropriate radio call which would expedite assistance, Facthunter. I couldn't see you not making those reports, but unfortunately there are some in that category.

What are the thoughts in RAA World on this? Surely it decreases the survivabilty of an impact?PS: Sorry for the thread drift.

Hi HH, I was taught to block the door open in a emergency landing (Piper Archer). Probably because it only has one door, on the RH side.(I know you already know this mate, just adding it for people who may not know).The reason from memory is that, it being the only place to egress the aircraft.(also possibly maybe through a broken windsreen, I guess).If it is gets damaged and jammed shut, options are going to be limited.

As to the RAA scenario, aircraft being alot lighter in construction.Im not realy sure.Most LSA type doors are pretty weak in construction due to weight issues.In a crash, they would probably crush.Most people could kick the S&*^ out of them to open them.So I would probably leave them closed.

I read a report on a RV8, ditching between two Hawaiian Islands . He opened the rear sliding canopy before ditching, as the aircraft impacted the water, the force slammed the canopy shut, with a bit of damage to the locking/opening mechanism.He with all his strenght just managed to get it opened and get out.He reported that he would have been better to have leaved it shut until after impact.

...I read a report on a RV8, ditching between two Hawaiian Islands . He opened the rear sliding canopy before ditching, as the aircraft impacted the water, the force slammed the canopy shut, with a bit of damage to the locking/opening mechanism.He with all his strenght just managed to get it opened and get out.He reported that he would have been better to have leaved it shut until after impact.

I think if I had something like that I would invest in a canopy breaker. I don't like the idea of being stuck inside of an upside down aircraft with fuel running all over and no way of sliding open the glass house door.

kaz

• Like 1