Fraser Island Incident

Guest alexen

I dunno about that, the shape of the tarp looked more like a Decathlon to me.022_wink.gif.2137519eeebfc3acb3315da062b6b1c1.gif

With a noswheel...? Pull the other leg it plays jingle bells....

,,, hehehe and DP you silly bugger,,,,who would ruin a Decathlon by putting a training wheel on it!!!

No accounting for tastes, I saw a taildragger classic with a nose-wheel today - not a problem, there can be very good reasons for choosing one. In fact, if some-one threw a tarp over it would look just like a 172.And .... Tomo is right as usual. I see now, my mistake, it has a rear window so couldn't have been a Decathlon.

• Like 2

No accounting for tastes, I saw a taildragger classic with a nose-wheel today - not a problem, there can be very good reasons for choosing one. In fact, if some-one threw a tarp over it would look just like a 172.And .... Tomo is right as usual. I see now, my mistake, it has a rear window so couldn't have been a Decathlon.

You're too kind DJ 003_cheezy_grin.gif.c5a94fc2937f61b556d8146a1bc97ef8.gif

Tomo, No he isn't too kind. You make very reasoned and carefully researched responses, which stand on their own merit. I can understand your modesty, but their are times when you should accept acknowledgement of how well you do things. You are a bit of a success story you know . Nev

• Like 2

Guest Maj Millard

I've yet to see a four seat decathlon ! Putting a C172 on a beach in the best of conditions would be a bit risky anyway, they are just not well suited, as they tend to come down a bit hard on the nose wheel on occasions. The 206 however which generally are fitted with a bigger (fatter ) tyre, have more effective flap, and can and are operated off sand more succesfully on regular occasions..If this was an after take-off engine failure as suggested, then I think the pilot may be excused by the fact that he may not have had a lot of time available to either set up for a slow sand landing, and/or to'pick his sand'..............................................Maj...024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

I have just got home from Fraser, the pilot landed at Orchard Beach airstip at about 7.45 that morning while I was waiting for the shop to open, I talked to him for about 1/4 hour & checked out the plane. He was picking up three passengers to go back to Hervey Bay & then heading back to the beach for joy flights. Thats all I have.

Pete

Tomo, No he isn't too kind. You make very reasoned and carefully researched responses, which stand on their own merit. I can understand your modesty, but their are times when you should accept acknowledgement of how well you do things. You are a bit of a success story you know . Nev

Thanks Nev, very encouraging that you say that, sometimes you do wonder if it's worth the effort.

• Like 1

I've yet to see a four seat decathlon ! Putting a C172 on a beach in the best of conditions would be a bit risky anyway, they are just not well suited, as they tend to come down a bit hard on the nose wheel on occasions. The 206 however which generally are fitted with a bigger (fatter ) tyre, have more effective flap, and can and are operated off sand more succesfully on regular occasions..If this was an after take-off engine failure as suggested, then I think the pilot may be excused by the fact that he may not have had a lot of time available to either set up for a slow sand landing, and/or to'pick his sand'..............................................Maj...024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Yes, that 172 appears to have the standard 6.00 x 6 mainwheel tyres, and these don't give you much floatation at 'normal' pressures. Now if the aircraft had been configured with 8.00 tyres, run at much lower pressures, plus a larger nosewheel size, eg 6.00 x - it might not have dug in. For soft surface ops, it helps to have 180HP in a 172 as well. A STOL modification,(eg, Horton), to the wings also helps no end, and it's not that expensive to fit.

Maj is right about the time available to do the FL. It seems to take you ages as the pilot, because everything seems surreal - but it's often so fast the pax don't know what's happened. Ideally you'd want more weight in the rear baggage area.....but I guess the front pax wasn't keen to shift over there during the flare!!

happy days,