To All Users

Admin

Ok, after reading this entire thread again what I am leading towards doing is:

• Leaving the site as Aircraft Pilots

• Implement the "What's New" Opt Out function so users can choose to NOT include any specific forums in the "What's New" function

• Bring back the RAAus specific forums, namely Governing Bodies, into this site. Recreational Flying will just have a couple of static html pages with general information on recreational aviation but steer everyone to here

• The only change to the forums here will be the splitting of the General Discussion forum into 3 geographic general discussion forums of Aust/NZ, USA/Canada and UK/Europe. Aust/NZ will have the sub forums of Gov Bodies etc that were moved back from Recreational Flying

• "The Dream" will continue to be developed here on this site but it's implementation will have none or very little impact on the Forums section itself as just about everything in "The Dream" is providing extra value addons that a user can choose to use or not use as they are other areas of the site...a point that I think has been missed in this thread

• If and I say "IF" any changes are felt to be needed to be done to the forums after this, it will be put to a vote of users with the vote deciding if the change is to be done...fail to vote, fail to have a say

The end result is back to being an all encompassing single site with users having some ability to choose what they want to read, and join in on, and avail themselves of some great features if they choose to with almost no impact on the forums section itself.

Now, will you be happy with that?

If so, then I will do that, move Recreational Flying back here, implement the "What's New Opt Out" feature, implement the Aircraft Section, the Private User Group Section, allow users to start setting up their own Aircraft Pilot's Chapters etc and leave the forums section alone

• Like 4

Not a good point in my opinion as it wasn't thought out for the benefit of everyone...as been pointed out the name Recreational Flying carries no weight whatsoever outside of Australia where terms like Experimental (USA), Ultralight (UK), Microlight (NZ), LSA etc are always used. Also as pointed out on many occasions the site isn't for just a small subset of people but for ALL kinds of aviators whether they fly an ultralight or have a PPL as they all have experiences and knowledge that can help out any other kind of aviator. There are those that fly both and there are those in Australia that consider the word Recreational to be just RAAus and the absolute common denominator there is across it all is that we are ALL AIRCRAFT PILOTS no matter what we fly.

Since moving to Aircraft Pilots we have had more International users register on the site then we ever did with Recreational Flying yet we are still getting the same number of Australian new users. This has also been proven with Google search terms used by people and shows that Recreational with Flying, Pilots, Aviation, Aircraft etc all get less search requests then Aircraft and Pilots whether they are a pilot or an aviation enthusiasts.

But the important part and as also stated in post #30 the name Recreational Flying would still exist, would still live on, would still come up on search engines etc, but as a static html site with things to read relevant for Australian interests and as also pointed out was any one going to Recreational Flying would be pointed to here for the interactivity...static text would naturally be descriptive to a point like "find out more, come and join in at Aircraft Pilots whether you are a pilot or just interested in aviation".

It also has been pointed out many times on this site that the brand name Recreational Flying suited its purpose, and no doubt will still suit its purpose in the future as a static site driving those that are interested in going further, to here, besides remember "Oil of Ulan" that is now "Olay"...thousands of brand names change to suit the needs of the customer base and that is what we are doing here...thinking about the users and how better to increasingly serve them as a whole.

• Like 1

I have started to do as per Post #30...if there is anything that I am doing could be done differently or better in some way please speak up.

If anyone finds any threads that would be better placed in a more appropriate forum please let me know...thanks

Hi Ian

keep up the good work dreams do happen and this site is very informative, as a newbie to aviation (and loving it) this site does provide a forum for the "average joe blow to sound off" unquote i for one would gladly pay a "membership fee " i have asked questions and recieived answers .Keep up the good work

and how do i subscribbe?

thanks Gareth

I go on holidays for a week and the sky falls in!!!

In all seriousness, as always Ian you have my, and i'm sure many others, full support in realising "The Dream". I must say, the dream does seem like an ideal end situation and I think it would be great to see it fulfilled.