To All Users

Admin

Hi All

Just over 2 years ago I woke up in the middle of the night after having a dream about this site. Whilst I laid awake I wondered if this dream was possible to achieve and above all would the end result be worth it.

It was a dream about a complete radical change to the site, to the way interactive websites like this one were created and run, the way potential income was obtained without plastering the site with adverts and a radical change to the entire interactive features and functions of the site.

The more I thought about it, the more I realised that it may not be able to be achieved with any single software out there which meant an enormous amount of expense and work to make it happen so it was put in the too hard basket...but the concept just kept plaguing me for the last 2 years.

The more it kept coming back to me the more I realised the next biggest issue would be the users. This site grew into being a well known entity in the Recreational Aviation scene in just Australia. The users were predominantly Australian so the content was all about recreational aviation in Australia. This would turn out to be the biggest problem in realising this dream. The saturation of Australian content, which you want, which I also want to have as well, but would actually be detrimental to the world wide appeal of which the dream was based on...and this is what I have been wrestling with and what you may see as being the driver of many of my actions in regards to this site.

Only a handful of people knew about this dream over the last 2 years and they all thought it was a fantastic idea however every step I have taken to deliver to you that great new concept, here on the site, has been met with extreme frustration in trying to introduce any little part of it. So I will let you all see what I am trying to achieve so you will be more informed, and hopefully understanding, in what I hoped you will really enjoy having available to you.

The Concept...

The site would become a 24hr/7 day a week online Air Show/Flyin for ALL pilots of all kinds of aircraft right around the world. There would be an Aircraft display section where you can also talk live with an aircraft representative any time day or night as the aircraft representatives from all countries would be popping in so at 2am, an Australian can talk to a representative of their aircraft who happens to be online from the UK etc. You would interact with the aircraft rep whilst viewing pictures that present all the elements of their aircraft even in a way that you wouldn't normally see at a live air show. This creates an incredible relationship between a manufacturer and its customers whilst providing a 24hr a day resource for every aviator.

There would be Pilot Supply Shop Alley where you could go to a section of the site and it is presented like a whole lot of shop fronts from suppliers around the world so you could get what you want at the best price plus you could also talk live to a salesman from that supplier during their countries day time as they would also be online here to serve you.

Flying displays would be with a program of events based on a schedule of videos that changes each week, and in the aircraft display section you would, whilst talking to an aircraft rep live, be watching a video flying display of the aircraft at the same time or even interacting in an electronic presentation of the aircraft. And, it won't matter what time of the day or night because although in the end you would be dealing with your own local rep, you could be getting all the information you need from a rep in another country at a time that suits you...and no walking between aircraft stands...you are doing it all from your home at any time.

You would be able to "walk" through the Picture Gallery viewing all kinds of aircraft and even leave messages for the "Artist".

You could attend events of interest like forums of "How To's" and new product presentations by way of them also being interactive. You could meet up with your friends in your own Social Group and even chat with them and see them through their webcam online no matter what country they were in and then go off together seeing things on the site whilst still being able to chat with each other just as if you were at an airshow together.

You would drop in to the discussion place (The Forums) and meet up with other like minded aviators and discuss anything...helping each other out by the exchange of experiences and learn something from a person in another country who was faced with a similar problem that you may be having.

...and there is so much more...all available 24hrs/7days a week...a hive of activity of all sorts of aviators coming together from all around the world in a 24hr/7 day a week Air Show/Flyin...but online from your own home at any time you want, day or night.

Site income to cover all the expenses, and finally provide me with some small means of putting bread on the table, was NOT to come from plastering adverts on the site, was not to come from a Pilot Supplies shop, was not to come from the users in any way at all...but income was going to come from the actual Aircraft Manufactures, not their individual reps in each country, but from the manufacturer themselves on behalf of all their reps that are providing a service to you, the user, whilst obtaining sales. All reps from the same aircraft manufacturer would be helping each other, all users would be helping each other as everything is seen as providing a "Service" to the site users, Aircraft Reps, Aircraft Manufacturers, Pilot Supplies Stores etc by simply getting them all together, helping each other...a completely different concept of an interactive website and the way it would be presented and used.

Well, that was the dream and a massive undertaking on 2 fronts...all the different software working together to make it all happen, and taking the current site users along the journey whilst creating that dream...both of these are really proving to be far too hard.

If some of you remember last year I changed the term "Members" to "Visitors" which was in line with going to an Air Show/Flyin which was not liked. To be more appealing I changed the site name from Recreational Flying to Aircraft Pilots however I have been advised by many of you that this is not what you want...you want your old site back of Recreational Flying basically targeting the Australian market...a site that you can call your own for you to get together with other Aussies and chew the fat.

Add to this the great difficulties I am having in the software side of things...I moved to a bigger greater server to facilitate the demands that the site would need but many of the software components needed to provide the vast features of this dream site are just not playing well together in my testing which is requiring a lot of money to get 3rd party developers in on them. I paid $400 for one software app which didn't work causing you the users a lot of grief with the site falling over and they are refusing to give a refund. One 3rd party developer that I paid $200 to create a link between two software apps ended up not being able to do it and again I am having trouble getting a refund.

So on both fronts, users and software, realising the dream is just getting too darn hard and the crunch time has come that the site's reputation is getting damaged from my attempts to give you all something I thought would be incredible for you all to have as a fantastic resource in aviation helping you in every possible thing that you may need and want.

This brings me to the reason of this post...by way of many of your posts, your PMs, the grapevine, the watercooler etc, almost all of you have not understood my actions, and rightly so as you have not known what I was trying to achieve and what is behind what I do. I strongly believe there is still merit in "The Dream" and I am trying to realise this whilst also considering what you currently want and try to mesh the two together in a way that you will be happy with.

The biggest issue is if the site is not made appealing to an International audience, the dream will never be realised. At the same time, if the site didn't cater to the Australian specific content then the site wouldn't be appealing to the current high Australian user base.

However there is also still a split in those that want a Governing Bodies type of forum for Australian RAAus specific discussion and then there are those that don't. One thing to note is this can now be achieved with an "Opt In" feature of the site so you can choose to see the political elements of our industry in the "What's New" function or choose not to see them. This could be an answer to many of the content issues not just for Governing Bodies but also the separation of Australian specific content for the International community.

Well there you have it, hopefully a much better understanding to my actions and what I would like to bring to you for you to use and have available for you any time of the day or night all year round...why we changed our name, why I separated the Australian specific RAAus content out, why we moved to a US server...why I do the many things that I am doing...there is a goal at the end of it, a goal that I thought you would all enjoy more.

But then...I could always be wrong

Thanks for reading

• Like 1

So are you saying that you just want a chit chat forum site? If so I can just give you back Recreational Flying like it was (pre Oct) and plaster it with adverts...speak up now or forever hold thy peace

I like your idea Ian, achieving it is the big question, as you have found out!!

What I envisage and would use, would include such examples as this http://www.theultralightplace.com/sparkplugs.htm

and this http://www.rotax-owner.com/

and this http://www.ultralightnews.ca/

and for something different this http://wind.willyweather.com.au/wa/wheatbelt/gabbin.html

and something like the articles (as an example) by Mike Stratman from California Power Systems called "The Care and Feeding of the Rotax Motor". I suspect this is just a small example of what you would want in your ultimate dream.

My suggestions are largely about the Rotax engine, by necessity this is the knowledge I have been chasing, now multiply that by all the major areas in recreational aviation that people will have a need for knowledge, then you will have a web based resource!!

Can you do it?

What ever happens Ian, my favourite section will be the forums, because of the interaction between all players.

Pud

• Like 2

Thanks Pud...that is kind of what I had imagined...imagine for just one minute that Rotax, as a manufacturer, came on board. They had their section on the site and when ever a Rotax agent from anywhere in the world dropped in to the site, their username and their tag like "Rotax Agent - Sth Africa" shows up in a box in the right column of the site. You strike up an instant chat with them and your question gets answered "PROPERLY" and "IMMEDIATELY" or you are building a kit and trying to decide which engine to use...you find out by talking to them and then the next day place an order with your local agent...the interactivity of it all is what blew me away with the concept getting correct and proper helpful information and that could be at 2am in the morning our time.

You then ask opinions from others in the forums and as Rotax is on board as a manufacturer you have a look on the Rotax section and get helpful articles, watch videos, see pictures etc all while you are chatting to members of your own flying club in the popup video chat room that you have in your own flying club usergroup section of the site...there i go again, getting carried away with the concept but THAT is what I thought would be an incredible resource to have here for everyone...then again, some people just may like to hang out in the forums chewing the fat with each other...the site has to be appealing to the International Community without saturating the site with Australian only content but at the same time it needs to be a HOME for all that Australian (US, UK etc) content as well so you still feel like the site is home in your country

It's a hard one Ian, isn't it!!

I want to support you in your 'dream' and goal, but at the same time it would be nice for the other members I think to have a solid foundation for a while, because as you know quite a few people whinge about the changes and or have difficulty in finding links etc... it's a hard line to draw - do you upset some for a better outcome eventually, or do you keep the majority happy by just staying like we are? I guess that's the million dollar question, is it not!?

From a marketing point of view you would do the latter, but this site isn't about marketing, it's about helping others out and bringing the 'life' back into our aviation community.

I would look at the pro's and con's of continued development, vs current status. Will there be a lose of member support with more changes, or will there be a greater influx of members if the site stayed as is for a while? Your well being and family need to take precedence over a website in my opinion (obviously that's none of my business, but something to think about). Will staying as is be of greater value to 'them' or would it be of greater value if you followed the dream and went that way? (finically, mentally, physically)

At the end of the day it's the members that make a club, not the facilities. Sure one compliments the other, but do we build a mansion with a handful of residents or a campsite full of enthusiasts? I'm not saying the mansion will never go to full potential, but it's something to think about.

Do what you know is best Ian, is all I can say. You need to be happy and content with yourself, be that building a mansion, or maintaining a thriving campsite.

• Like 3

I'm not so sure anyone wanted a "Governing Bodies type" site, but there were a few who had a vocal agenda and there were a few who didn't want RAA matters discussed and there were a few who simply 'didn't want to read about it.

Because of very few people, maybe less than 20, the thousands, and yourself have suffered.

• Like 1

Thanks Tomo, even a campsite has costs, costs that after 8 years I can no longer pay for everyone...unless someone gives me a job...a mansion could be a job 092_idea.gif.47940f0a63d4c3c507771e6510e944e5.gif

• Like 1

Go for it Ian, I think it would be an improvement to get a broader base. Advertising is on Vans aircraft site and it is not intrusive, but very helpful, when you are looking for something. I bought seatbelts and exhaust for my RV4 from advertisers on that site, so it shows that advertising pays as suppliers know they are targetting the correct people.

I am all for seeing the site grow and cover more areas of aviation. When you atarted the site it filled a need and I think you are on the right track.

• Like 2

Ian,

You have an admirable dream in trying to provide a one stop online aviation experience and I can see the appeal for you. However, the problem I can see is that it is reliant on commercial third parties (manufacturers, aviation retailers etc) providing you with content (videos, photos etc), expertise (online help) and then paying for the privilege. In my short exposure to the aviation industry, especially the RA side, manufacturers seem to be flat out spending money on a basic website for themselves, let alone putting together content and providing online experts for a site such as this.

What you have built here is a strong online community with lots of activity. That's why most of us come here. The members here, and their contributions of knowledge, time and content such as photos and videos are the life blood of this site. Members provide this content free of charge. By all means follow the dream. You have to pay the bills somehow. But beware of damaging the community you have taken so long to build up.

• Like 2

The other option I have is to move this site back to Recreational Flying and make it pre Oct last year again...the site would continue as just an Australian dedicated recreational aviation site like it has been for the last 8 years and just leave it at that with no more development and plaster it with advertisements leaving it up to its own devices.

I would then on the side create the "dream" under Aircraft Pilots and when it was all working the way I want, find another aviation web site from the US or UK etc that would want to sell and buy it, import it into Aircraft Pilots and turn that into the "Dream" site and ignore Recreational Flying, other then running the advertisements, for it to become what ever it becomes.

Or, here's a thought, I could get out of aviation all together and delete this site as the wife wants a Beauty Therapist site so I can focus on that and implement the dream from scratch there because there are a lot more 21 year old girls in that industry that I could really get to know.

Decisions decisions decisions...too early on a Sunday morning to think about it

• Like 1

My view for what it's worth - don't over complicate access [for us non IT types] - I have looked a some othe sites and found the rigmorale in finding what you want to read not worth the time and effort in finding it.Frank

I agree also Frank, I use this site purely as a forum to discuss things with other flyers, anything else, I do a Google search.

Alan Marriette.

why not just charge 10 cent a post and give everyone 5 free per month?

This could possibly cause some people to read all the posts to get free information but not post themselves because it costs money, I prefer the present system of $50 per year for First Class Membership as it is simple and very economical and if we all did this Ian would be much better off.

I am amazed at the regular 'Posters' who do not take up this option.

Alan.

Well we had better make up our minds once and for all very soon...just been told a modification that I paid $150 for is about finished ready for me to implement...plus the Aircraft Section is ready as well as the Private User Groups and more...everything has to be settled once and for all...leave the site as it is but as Recreational Flying and build up "The Dream" somewhere else or come along for the ride into something great...but there will be changes

Ian, I think you should follow your dream, change and progress is good, otherwise we'd all still be looking up at the sky wondering how the birds do it.

there are many talented and knowledgeable individuals,suppliers,manufacturers etc out there that have little or no web presence so are hard to find via google, providing them with a platform is a great idea, but I think you will need help to sell the concept.

Andrew

• Like 1

Please, for the love of God, leave it alone.

Too many changes and members will leave. Personally I think it's gotten disorganised and difficult to use, I can't find any of the discussion areas I used to like and the chat doesn't work for me. Fix what needs to be fixed, keep it free and stop confusing members with changes.

• Like 3

Personally I think it's gotten disorganised and difficult to use, I can't find any of the discussion areas I used to like

Can you please give me examples so I know how to fix it...what discussion areas can't you find...I can't help you with just a broad statement like that