A serious question of what to do if you get "caught".

flying dog

OK, Bad title - kinda.

But I don't know how better to attract people to the thread and (maybe) get some serious discussion going.

Scenario:

You are going on a Cross Country trip. You've planned it, weather good, fuel stops at good places.

A couple of long legs between airports, but nothing to worry about.

Now, to the question/problem:

You are off, everything is good. About an hour into the flight and "in the middle of no-where" you need to go!051_crying.gif.fe5d15edcc60afab3cc76b2638e7acf3.gif

I'm not talking about, rumble rumble. I may need to go in about 30 minutes.

You need to go NOW! Say maybe 3 minutes at the outside. 037_yikes.gif.f44636559f7f2c4c52637b7ff2322907.gif

I know it is part of planning allowing for these kind of things, but "$hit happens" as it were.

Sometimes you can't pick when this sort of thing is going to happen. So in a moment of curiossity, I was seriously wondering:

What would you do?

Obviously land and deal with the problem, but I mean at the actual time it happens.

Yeah, ok, not nice to think about. But seriously, it can happen - though I don't think I would wish it on anyone.

Thoughts?

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Like all things a question of priorities. Wouldn't be worth crashing your plane. I came across a reference to this in matters dealing with aircrews in the last war, recently. You don't always have any real option and may have to pretend you are a baby and have your nappy changed when you can. Nev

OK, Bad title - kinda.But I don't know how better to attract people to the thread and (maybe) get some serious discussion going.

Scenario:

You are going on a Cross Country trip. You've planned it, weather good, fuel stops at good places.

A couple of long legs between airports, but nothing to worry about.

Now, to the question/problem:

You are off, everything is good. About an hour into the flight and "in the middle of no-where" you need to go!051_crying.gif.fe5d15edcc60afab3cc76b2638e7acf3.gif

I'm not talking about, rumble rumble. I may need to go in about 30 minutes.

You need to go NOW! Say maybe 3 minutes at the outside. 037_yikes.gif.f44636559f7f2c4c52637b7ff2322907.gif

I know it is part of planning allowing for these kind of things, but "$hit happens" as it were.

Sometimes you can't pick when this sort of thing is going to happen. So in a moment of curiossity, I was seriously wondering:

What would you do?

Obviously land and deal with the problem, but I mean at the actual time it happens.

Yeah, ok, not nice to think about. But seriously, it can happen - though I don't think I would wish it on anyone.

Thoughts?

Well its a problem let me tell you!!

Happened to me on my nav test, but luckily I didn't have a guts ache, just a full bladder from consuming one cup of coffee too many. I flew to the nearest airstrip and was very glad to get out of the aircraft. Dunno what you do where there is no strip within a reasonable time span. All you can do is plan well before hand, and not go if you think there may be a problem.

Above all though... Fly the bloody aircraft lest you dumb your load as you fall out of the sky!!!!

Pud

Guys, being a suffer of IBS, which at long last is under control, I like many others always with this or similar condition have to "Realy" plan ahead.

There are those "Travel Johns" on the market, not ever seen or thank God had to use them 025_blush.gif.9304aaf8465a2b6ab5171f41c5565775.gif but I to was only thinking the other day, what if I took my 90 year old Dad up, he now has a incontience prob due to age and I know he would be more enbrassed than me if there was a "Litltle" acccident.

Alley

C'mon Doug. That is not as straightforward as one might think and I am not going to recommend it. . I crapped myself walking home from school when I was a kid. I didn't enjoy it but the world didn't end. Muck up your outlanding and you are in the sh**. anyhow. Nev

• Like 3

If we are talking number one's always carry a container with a small funnel and plastic tube (talking males here). My wife, who was always the passenger, took an icecream container and only used it once ( full details of how she did it in rough weather in a Cessna 150 available on request).

Now number two's are a different story.....champagne cork??? fitted before you leave. 059_whistling.gif.a3aa33bf4e30705b1ad8038eaab5a8f6.gif

Alan.

• Like 3

036_faint.gif.544c913aae3989c0f13fd9d3b82e4e2c.gif

C'mon Doug. That is not as straightforward as one might think and I am not going to recommend it. . I crapped myself walking home from school when I was a kid. I didn't enjoy it but the world didn't end. Muck up your outlanding and you are in the sh**. anyhow. Nev

Just a thought !

• Like 1

(a) Coffee is a diuretic, will strip water from the body and into the bladder faster, same with other caffeine drinks, so know your endurance with these.

(b) You can buy high capacity pads in the supermarket now. They pretty much take care of a bladder full - learnt all about this last year for a while. Not too uncomfortable either.

© Plan your stopping points around your comfort; this will also be roughly your fatigue points (although you may no admit that). This is RA, you're supposed to enjoy it.

(d) Follow Facthunter's advice, what is your priority - a precautionary landing is a bit like skidding off the road because you opted to dodge a possum.

Tie a knot in it!029_crazy.gif.9816c6ae32645165a9f09f734746de5f.gif

I tried that once but it didn't work so next time I tried two knots which reduced the flow but was still not satisfactory. Not wishing to muck about anymore I doubled up to four knots, much better but still leaked, eventually I tried eight knots which finally did the trick. Problem fixed you might think but I have always had difficulty in un-tying knots so it took me nearly an hour in the toilet trying to undo them and I could not finish my journey as it was almost last light.

I am now considering 'cable ties ' as one would probably be sufficient, but I'm a bit worried about cutting the cable tie off with the scissors !!!

Has anyone else tried these and if so would they need to be certified Aviation Cable Ties???091_help.gif.c9d9d46309e7eda87084010b3a256229.gif

Alan..

• Like 3

Guest Andys@coffs

I have a small plastic urinal bottle that you can buy from almost any chemist. It has a clip on water tight lid and it comes with a special femal adapter to assist with getting a good leakproof seal and is one of those things that I just have in the back. Ive used it once travelling from ADL to Narromine....Not too many airfields out that way and it can be 15 minutes between deciding you need to go and arriving overtop...... I'd have to say though that I would hate to be a female and have to try and fly and use this device, It ws hard enough to use as a male.....

hurry_up.gif.177b070ad0fed9378055f023fbf484f7.gif

Interesting.

Oh, the insiration came from watching "Top Gear" and they were saying how needing to "go potty" affects your ability to drive.

Looking at some of the replies; my thoughts:

1 - Landing on an old road and "getting the business done".

Fair enough, but what happens if you mess up the landing? What legal minefield have you entered?

2 - Flying within your limits.

Granted. I don't want to seem to be advocating exceeding your limits. That can be very dangerous.

3 - Tieing knots....

Well, I'll be modest and say mine isn't long enough to do that.

4 -Guernsey

Intersting. But again: I won't bite, though I am tempted.

If you are flying "high" it also takes time to descend, and as you do, the air pressure increases on the bladder and this makes it worse if it is a number 1 you are wanting to do.

Other things which were mentioned:

Get your priorities right.

I agree. Aviate, Navigate, Communicate. Everything else after that.

Facthunter, thanks for the honesty.

Biggles, hope you are going good with resolving the problem.

I guess what I really mean is how you "deal with" the sensation/fact of actaully having it happen to you, and the resultant smell until you land and clean up.

I"ve had a couple of close calls with "number 1's".

I think people are "conditioned" that when we sit on the dunny, releaving ourselves isn't a problem. But sitting in a car/plane/any seat other than a toilet it is difficult to feel ok as it happens.

Sure it isn't something you want to "simulate" it so you "get used to it". Heaven forbid.

I was just wondering what people would get their heads around the scenario.

• Like 1

Be prepared. Years ago I took 3 carpenters from the job site at Rocky, back to Archerfield. They wre heavy drinkers and came on board with a few stubbies. Half way and they had consumed the stubbies and were in the process of re filling them. They wern't happy when I wouldn't let them throw them out of the window. Last seen walking away with hands full of smelly stubbies.

• Like 2

Guest Howard Hughes

My personal risk minimisation technique is: 'never walk past a toilet without using it, cause you never know where the next one is going to be'.

On the trip out from the US last year, I found I was able to last over 7.2 hours and never had to use the 'pisserphone', not even once!022_wink.gif.2137519eeebfc3acb3315da062b6b1c1.gif

PS: Yes the Kingair does have one.029_crazy.gif.9816c6ae32645165a9f09f734746de5f.gif

My personal risk minimisation technique is: 'never walk past a toilet without using it, cause you never know where the next one is going to be'

far too many trees around here for that to work! ill never get to the aircraft!

• Like 1

Be prepared. Years ago I took 3 carpenters from the job site at Rocky, back to Archerfield. They wre heavy drinkers and came on board with a few stubbies. Half way and they had consumed the stubbies and were in the process of re filling them. They wern't happy when I wouldn't let them throw them out of the window. Last seen walking away with hands full of smelly stubbies.

I hope they could aim straight Yenn.

• Like 1